|Event:||Capital City Tour Part 6|
Capital City Tour Part 6
The name Ottawa is derived from the Algonquin word “adawe”, which means “to trade”. The settlement was originally incorporated as Bytown in 1850. The name was changed to Ottawa in 1855.
Route 1: AVVON Q943 RABIK Q951 PUXOP
Distance: 400 nm
Fredericton, New Brunswick
This city was originally called “Ste. Anne’s Point” until 1785. Governor Thomas Carleton assigned it the name “Fredericstown” after Prince Frederick, Duke of York. Shortly after this it was shortened to the name Fredericton.
Route 2: V310
Distance: 160 nm
Halifax, Nova Scotia
The city adopted its name from Lord Halifax, the president of the British Board of Trade. The name was chosen in 1749 when approximately 2500 settlers landed on the Chebucto peninsula to establish a permanent settlement.
|Scheduled Start Time: (GMT)||0:30|