It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:57 pm

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:29 am 
Site Admin

Hi Guys,

We will use this discussion thread for the elected nominees to post their ideas as to how / where to take this VA. I believe you will see many of the same ideas brought fourth and at the end of the day it will likely end up that those nominated will be involved with the new direction even if not elected president as we all want to see a change! I believe it will come down to who has the time and effort really to see this through. If you have questions for the nominees you can post them as well under this thread.

That being said - I'd like to toss out a few of the ideas that have been bantered about on the management forum (I may be campaigning for all of us here LOL!).

As always, we would need to have overall approval of Craig Farrell - our founding father so to speak of this VA as he retains the rights to the domain and the code here. That being said, I'm sure he would support the improvement of the VA to take it to the next level (as long as we don't screw it up to badly hehe) :D

Restructure of the VA:

Hubs / Captains - We seem to be having a hard time keeping these positions filled and active. I believe we should still have hubs so that pilots can feel they belong to a designated area and enjoy supporting that. However, I think this should be centralized into a single body who would be responsible for all hubs (a Master Hub Manager if you will). That person would be responsible for ensuring we have weekly multi's (not necessarily creating it themselves, but at least engaging active people with ideas for that weeks multi). they would be responsible to update the multi page on a regular basis.

Fleet Manager - There would also need to be a designated person to update and keep the fleet current (Fleet Manager). We have some talented people here (Brett) who hopefully would continue on in this role or help us transition to a new person.

Human Resources / Public Relations - We need someone to actively respond to new pilots and help them become familiar with the VA. Simply providing the pilot all of the information they need for an easy entry into the VA an make all of the difference. As well, being able to contact a designated person for questions rather than rely on some documentation / forums for info can make a huge difference. The person will feel that they have a dedicated support person, but can also use the documentation / forums as an extension to that support. The HR / PR person would also work in conjunction with the Master Hub Manager to promote the VA's events (i.e. - Multi's), or simply to report info back to them on events that are up and coming.

Website Manger / Coordinator - As always none of these changes can be done without a person that can coordinate or engage good web programmers. If you have web design skills familiar with the current technology (PHP mainly, basic HTML) then this is a bonus. If not, if you have contacts or people you can engage that could help this would also be acceptable.

Multi's:
This for many years was a popular thing at this VA but attendance has dwindled off for many reasons. We need to get back to active multi's. I believe the multi's should wherever possible be coordinated with online events taking place as there is traffic and ATC present. This is what we enjoyed about the multi's the most, not just picking an area close to your VA Hub routes. We could still do this however in terms of checking with the various FIR's as to when they have their ATC staff online and schedule local hub events around this as well.

AutoVA / FSACARS:
For many years we have used AutoVA and it has served us well. It has allowed us to report our flights and log our hours but this responsibility has been on the pilot to record this. I believe a combination / new reporting system is required whereby we could use FSACARS to automatically report pilot's online hours into the system and therefore the pilot would not need to record this. It would be done automatically. The traditional AutoVA would still be active in the sense a pilot could fly offline and record some hours as well manually. it would all depend on how the members here would like to see hours recorded moving forward. Some may feel that only online experience should be recorded while others feel that time spent offline is equally important. The choice is yours really and it should be polled.

Speaking of FSACARS I have seen on another site where someone has used a Google Maps / Google Earth virtual plugin that tracks active flights online and displays the plane current location over the map. Clicking on the plane brings up the details of the flight in progress along with the plotted router from start to destination. This would be a lot fancier than our current Lan Virtual map and would be a "nice to have".

Pilot Training / Pilot Qualification:
A basic qualification of pilot knowledge during the entry of new members would be an asset. I'm sure we have many a pilot out there who have already spent many hours with another airline and are experienced but looking for a new airline. to be forced into flying regional aircraft to start may be an immediate deterrent. If a basic qualification were done it could automatically rank the pilot and type of aircraft they could fly up front. As well, we could have the option for simply being able to select "new pilot" which would immediately put them into the regional flights as a starter. If they try to jump into the experienced category right away then they will be assigned accordingly depending on their qualification testing (which may land them in regional flight status anyways hehe).

Promotions / Notifications:
This could be done by the AutoVA tracking hours and posting active notifications on the main webpage of pilot promotions. Seeing active members / notifications is a key draw to any VA! This could be something like a new pilot starts out as a co-pilot on a regional aircraft and eventually works their way to captain on that aircraft. As the move up through the ranks they are promoted to co-pilot on the next level of aircraft, and then captain accordingly, etc etc.

Forum Upgrade:
This is a minor thing but something that needs to be addressed. We have had many a spammer come through here and post in the forum. Either a new system, or an updated more secure system needs to be put in place.

In closing, I will say that although these ideas above are grandiose they are a combination of my ideas and others (Ken Greenwood, Frank Senecal, etc). We all have similar ideas to take this VA to the next level but it will involve someone who has the time and effort, and as well someone who can engage the right people.

That being said, I am a realist as well. I like others have a daily job, I'm a real world pilot that enjoys getting out flying as well when I can. My time can vary like many of us here as I am a member of 2 real world flying clubs and sit on the board of directors with both. What I can promise though is that I am completely available always by email, forum postings, etc and active on this front. As well, I will dedicate my time and effort on the technical redesign where I can as I have some web skills.

Nothing here will change overnight but I believe all of the above are good things. I would poll the members to see which items they would like to see addressed first and then work solely on that item until completion to remain focused and ensure things are moving forward. I would not be able to do everything myself, nor should VA members expect ANY President to do this. What the membership should expect though is someone who can engage the right people and contribute to the solutions.

Sorry for the long winded post but I believe that it is necessary to give you an accurate idea of what needs to be done to move this VA forward. If you've made it this far, you deserve a medal for sticking with me and I anticipate you will be sticking with this VA as well because you were interested enough to read through all of this :D

You're Presidential Nominee....

Edited By CVA7769 on 1207989678

CVA7769

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:31 pm 

Darryl and Frank,

I would like to know what your thoughts are on the Cargo Division, would you keep it as part of CVA?

Thanks.

Edited By Mike Ethier on 1208208710

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:29 pm 
Site Admin

I want to keep all the hubs as they are. What I want to change the management positions and responsibilities in the CVA structure. In other words, a current hub manager would manage all our hubs (Halifax, Toronto, Cargo, and Vancouver). We are a small opperation here and I see no need to opperate to have so many positions.

Other things I would like to implement here is to get a better interaction with each member. Let’s face it no matter how serious some of us take this hobby; the reality is that it is a game. We are here to have fun and fun we shall have.

a. I would like to provide a more enjoyable VA experience by ensuring we have regular scheduled group flights (Multi)
b. Get promotions and merit badges going for efforts done here in CVA
c. Have achievement rewards for skills acquired
d. Supply monthly missions and compliment them by giving the member a reward or the accomplishment (this can be audited by the member uploading a video of their flight), such as landing a 767 into Castlegar.
e. Open a pilot shop (non profit) for CVA Hats T-shirts and ect.

These are some steps that will make this place a more enjoyable VA. As or recruiting new members making this place a cool hang out, they will come.

More ideas!! Two words for you STAY TUNNED

Edited By CVA9214 on 1208212228

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:24 pm 
Site Admin

Mike Ethier wrote:
Darryl and Frank,

I would like to know what your thoughts are on the Cargo Division, would you keep it as part of CVA?

Thanks.

Hi Mike,

Cargo has always been a part of CVA and I see no reason to get rid of it anytime soon. That being said....if there was a good reason to disband it (i.e. - the members decided it was no longer of use) then we could look at that option.

I believe that most VA's have a Cargo division and so I think ours should remain active if warranted.

Cheers!

CVA7769

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:48 pm 

Thanks for the responses guys.

And just for your info I have completed the Cargo's "New" Schedule as well as 3 ACMI's (Cargo's Charters)

Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:16 am 

WOW!!!

Great, well thought out platforms, guys.

Where were the two of you three months ago? Holy crup, if only 1/2 of this were implemented.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:11 am 
Site Admin

CVA1122 Ben wrote:
WOW!!!

Where were the two of you three months ago? Holy crup, if only 1/2 of this were implemented.....

LOL Ben :D

We've always been here just the amount of time either of us could dedicate back then was minimal. It kinda comes and goes in waves but both of us feel we can do the job well and get some things done here - it's a win win either way.

Cheers!

CVA7769

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:09 pm 

CVA1122 Ben wrote:
WOW!!!

And you have to admit, it wasn't these guys that were missing! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:39 pm 
Just so y'all know......if you need help with anything, let me know. I am not sure how much time I will have, with running CP Air VA, but I would like to finally see Canadian VA rise from the grave. If you guys are able to start carrying this plan out, then I will assist as I can. Let me know.
My only fear about this, is that.....we all get hyped up about change but then after a 3-6 months it slowly dies again and we see another election. I hope you guys are willing to stick it out for the long haul.
Also, I nominate Ferd Bernful for human resources/public relations.

Bruce
(in ferd we trust)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:16 am 

I'm worried. I want to reiterate what Bruce says. I note that we so far have only two guys - and they nominated each other for pres! :O They are both great fellows, I'm sure, but can they energise this group on their own?

That probably sounds negative, but this may not change anything in the long term unless we get some of the members standing for some other formal positions. I note that there are two VP positions open - should we be putting a slate of positions up for filling here? What about committees? Can we have at-large committee members that will be willing to do liaison, communications, research, polling, etc? I would be willing to sign up for that formally.

I'd like to hear from everyone - not just the two nominees.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:52 am 
Site Admin

Rob Vanderkam wrote:
I'm worried. I want to reiterate what Bruce says. I note that we so far have only two guys - and they nominated each other for pres! :O They are both great fellows, I'm sure, but can they energise this group on their own?

That probably sounds negative, but this may not change anything in the long term unless we get some of the members standing for some other formal positions. I note that there are two VP positions open - should we be putting a slate of positions up for filling here? What about committees? Can we have at-large committee members that will be willing to do liaison, communications, research, polling, etc? I would be willing to sign up for that formally.

I'd like to hear from everyone - not just the two nominees.

Hey Rob,

You bring up a valid point however I think the problem is fairly obvious....

1) We've lost many a good member who used to be active and so there are only a handful of us left here at the VA. This needs to change and only through an entire restructure and promotion of the VA, improvements to the VA will this happen.

2) Those who may want to take on the senior position (or any position for that matter) may just not have the time or energy.

I think that both Frank and I have the energy and our time like many of us can be limited at times....but...if people are willing to stick with either of us for the long haul the changes will be made. We are dedicated to bringing the VA up to a more current status and hopefully attracting back old and new members.

On that note - it's good to see that you would be willing to get involved in a more senior role here. That's something that I am sure you will be approached once the VA has leadership role has been determined.

Cheers!

CVA7769

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:44 pm 

I'm in that boat -- although I am relatively new here (just about 1 year I think) I am more than willing to help out - but not sure I can commit the time to take on a post formally.

Part of this is my ongoing ATC training (on Vatsim), which has eaten into my flying time...although I do try and get in the air every so often.

However, I do think there are some areas I can help out with, the biggest area of synergy between my 2 Vatsim interests could well be training. Roughly, I am certified to woork any Tower in CZYZ FIR, and so would be willing to work on an "Interacting with ATC" training scheme if wanted -- say we set a time and date, all interested go to London, or Sudbury, and practice ATC comm basics, VFR and ILS stuff...Then we can move to YYZ, and new guys can log on knowing there will be a familiar voice the other side of the scope...

Something I'll be talking to the new head honcho when we know who he is. If this works, maybe it can become a more formal position - but i'm more interested in getting something achieved rather than collecting titles....

Rich.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 1:24 am 

I like all teh ides, the idea of a reward for difficult tasks is good, it could be like the callenge of the monh.
Also i would like to be involved in helping new guys, only problem is time, but i am willing to do an effort.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 4:58 am 

Hey guys, half asleep as I read this thread so bear with me. :p

Those are some great ideas! I especially like the challenge of the month idea as it resonates with my former VA's monthly cargo challenge. I looked forward to that with even more enthusiasm than the multi. We each got 3 attempts, each attempt log from FSACARS was emailed to the admin along with FS version. However, we didn't get as cool as sending in VIDEOS! That's a cool idea! Then our results were posted online with the top member flights and top management flights. The reward was recognition of course (the posted results), plus a reward of a certain number of hours added to our logs. Beating the top management flight added 5 more. :cool:

Co-ordinating multis with online events. I agree that this can be alot of fun, but I have seen it go too far with too much traffic for it to be fun. How can we plan this where it won't be too much traffic? I think it was the last multi I flew with you fellas that we got very separated because the ATC was simply overwhelmed. I know we can't forcast how many will be online, but what are your thoughts? I also actually like at least one leg or portion of one with no ATC so I can hear you guys chat on the company channel. I understand we can't do that when in controlled airspace. Oh yeah, I found my soldering Iron. Look out! Headset fixed tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 5:50 am 

I also noticed that ATC problem, it was apparent last Easter. The ATC in Cairo was kinda overwhelmed, but he got in there and eventually got into things and followed us to our 2nd leg also. Chosing remote areas for the Multi might be a good idea, maybe alternate between high traffic and remote areas to get experience in both? As much as I liked Boston, it was a little "much" for me, not having the mike working compounds things.

I haven't had a chance yet to read the first page of the thread, I just clicked to see what was added.

HyperX Cloud II headset,
SAMSUNG SSD 850 EVO 250GB and 500GB,
EVGA Supernova G2 850W, CORSAIR Obsidian 750D

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next