Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 
CVA Aviation Academy - are you in favour of structure learning
 yes - this would be an interesting addition to flightsimming  82%  82%  [ 36 ]
 no - I would not be interested in participating  18%  18%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 44

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:22 pm 

gentlemen

I have been quite quiet over the past few months since my resignation as president of CVA Operations. I must admit, one of the reasons was an inability to conduct the 'improvements' to CVAOps that I had suggested during the last election.

At that time I wished to introduce a training section to CVA that would allow pilots to download small modules challenging them to perform a series of ground/flight manoevers ultimately advancing to a goal of completely type certified on a given aircraft.

My vision is a completely optional program involving 3 aircraft types (DH8 - CRJ - B767) and a series of lessons from VFR aircraft handling to advanced IFR to emergency procedures. All flights would be conducted from a fictional CVA flight training centre located on the prairies (leaning towards Portage la Prairie - a simulated contract with the existing DND facilities)

Each training module would require the pilot to download and fly - and occasionally video record/submit - a lesson and fly the required elements in accordance with CVA flight standard tolerances. A cadre of CVA instructors, who have completed the program and are certified as flight check pilots, would review and provide guidance for the pilots.

I ran a similar program with the rotary wing division of the vCanadian Forces and it was quite well recieved by the participants.

The ultimate goal would be to provide flight training and make CVA drivers, once more, the envy of online virtual aviators. If this is a project that recieves the blessing of CVA management, and there is a clear desire that I produce this curriculum - I will start preparing the lessons and make them available to CVAviators in the new year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:42 pm 

Hello Ken ,Hope Christmas will be good to you . I am up on any impruvements to CVA , But when I was with vCanadian Forces they had a set coarce and testing that a professional pilot would of been taxed to acomplish . I spent over 20 hours at Moose Jaw training there but it was the most frustrating time I have ever had on Flight sim . If i had not been with CVA I may of Quit Flying out of fustration . When I was with vCanadian Forces I felt that They would not let the me fly with the other pilots until i passed the flight solo and I finley just stopped flying there . This is not to say a simular coarce would not benifit me or other non- professional pilots as you say it is completely optional and lets face it under normal conditions we dont fly a CRJ-900 like a f-22 I would like to learn more to impruve my skills as a flight sim pilot so I can finly stop righting off A/C and giving mike work .
Terry CVA44T (can never have too much runway or ram)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:07 pm 

That's an ambitious Project Ken!! I wish you all the success in the world. A while back Keith prepared a great little instructional flight out of Calgary. I still fly it once in a while for the fun of it.
Question? What's a "check ride" and how do they work?
Dale(CVA1050)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:41 pm 
Great idea Ken, I like such an idea. The problem that I see with my personal flying, is that I don't spend enough stick time, if you were to watch me fly you'd see my arms like pretzals, trying to hold on to the stick with my right (dominant) hand and trying to manipulate various knobs on the panel with the mouse in the other.

I can see this be a very successful undertaking, but only if checkrides would be done in multiple small tasks, instead of one large one. I have seen in other airlines a HUGE checkride lasting well over an hour of "no-autopilot" flying, and frankly, I'd quit just due to sheer fatigue. I believe the way we should do it is, one check for a very specific task, ie.

LEVEL I - ILS Approach
In this checkride, your aircraft (Boeing 767-300ER) is established on the localizer runway 24 at CYHZ 12 miler final. The aircraft is at 3000' in landing configuration. Ceiling in Halifax is unlimited, winds are calm. The autopilot will disengage 5 seconds after you enter the cockpit. Land the aircraft and exit on taxiway C.

LEVEL II - ILS approach.
Same as situation one. Weather shows ceiling at 2000' feet, slight crosswind from right to left.

...and such things will continue, gradually increasing in difficulty, leading to the check-ride which has weather down to minima, and requires the pilot to have to intercept the Localizer, as well as configuring the aircraft etc.

This method will lead to a lot of work, as some pilots use add-on aircrafts and others just default ones. If you need a hand with anything drop me a line at my email.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:26 pm 

We used to similiar things in the vUSN as well. As stated, start small, don't overwhelm the prospective pilot.

Would love to see such things happen. A chance to show off my obvious superiority in the air. Purhaps I could be a landing instructor....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:01 am 

:D Lets face it Keith when it comes to airport runway renovations you and I are pretty well the runway reckers to call . with me I appriciate all the help I can get . and now with Fs9 running at 24 fps and not 2 -5 fps , I dont even have the extra time to make the cross while on approach .lol :D
Terry CVA44T (can never have too much runway or ramor Beer ) :cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:31 am 
It would be nice to visually see how things like intercepts are done properly, instead of just 'winging it' like i always do and missing the #### thing.
Good idea. I think this would be a great learning experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:10 pm 

indeed some very good points made
the goal would be to have small lessons that build upon each other with 1-2 teaching points each module
forsee the initial turboprop plan as...

- VFR aircraft handling (basic)
- VFR aircraft handling (advanced)
- IFR #1 SIDs and precision approaches
- IFR #2 STARs and non-precision approaches
- IFR #3 holding and enroute procedures
- unusual attitudes and emergency procedures

See each flight being approximately 30-45 minutes in length with both local VFR/IFR work and also enroute legs for the more advanced lessons. The pilot would be 'awarded' a type certification qualification upon completion of each module eventually leading to a CVA check pilot status.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:50 pm 
Oh Yeah, now we're talking flying. I'm in for the CRJ200 and Dash8 for sure. I know you still have all the training info for the rotary wing from vCAF, don't you? I would be interested in completing what I started. Flying is zero vis in a helo requires practice, practice, practice. I LIKE IT.......... So if there is a way to get those to we without breaching a confidentiality clause of some sort I would greatly appreciate it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 2:21 pm 

funny you should ask Michel - was planning on forwarding to you the rotary wing lessons and thought you might like to modify them for a CVA civil helicopter training program - I will try to get them to you ASAP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:26 am 
Promise to take it easy on the newbie rotorheads and those who want to do some real hovering in zero vis.............

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:09 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks to Ken for offering to head up this project. By the look of the poll results I'd say their is a considerable demand for training.

Look for enhanced and advanced education modules from... 1st Announcement for 2005: our Chief Instrument Check Pilot, Ken Greenwood!

Look for the CVA Aviation Academy hosted at this site in the not too distant future.

Thanks Ken!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:27 pm 

absolutely what the Doctor ordered, Ken...well done!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:46 pm 

Can I make a suggestion that if Lesson#1 is ready, then you should get the program up and running. Add the other lesson as they come available. I say this because March will soon be here, then spring, then summer when
interest declines.
Dale(CVA1050)

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ]