It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:48 pm

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: FSX SE your thoughts?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:34 pm 
Site Admin

Has anyone tried the FSX steam edition? What are your thoughts. I bought is but I am reluctant to install it because of the changes it ay bring to my already established FSX installation.

Post subject: Re: FSX SE your thoughts?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:14 am 

I wish I could answer your?. However I have P3DV2.4 installed and FSX/SE installed same drive. The FSX/SE installed smooth and quick to the X86. Most my addon's detected the FSX/SE install and went right in no issue's.

Here is the FSX/SE steam Thread, it might help explain what your seeking: http://steamcommunity.com/app/314160/di ... 729615790/

CVA Prepar3D V2.4 Military and Pro Plus and Academic Pilot -- Windows 8.1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:53 pm 

For me is a love hate thing... I love it because i have windows 8 and only the steam edition works.. And it seems that my computer can handle it ALOT better it seems to be better optimized then the boxed version...

The only problem i have with it is the CVA mods are not working like the Dash 8. as far as i can tell only the textures work from CVA on steam edition. I hope i can fly the 747 and still get accepted cause i have no other choice...
Edit: I say if you can still run the box version its probably the best choice unless you want mutiplayer back. because all the addons work on the box version but eventually everything will work on steam edition... I say if you have the space for it.. The game is compatible to be on the same drive as the fsx boxed version so you could install it and give it a go yourself :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:16 am 

How does this steam work with add-on scenerys and planes

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:10 am 
Site Admin

From what I understand most add-on work. The problem lies because the installers are not built for the steam version. I am sure that soon the se developers will come out with patches for their programs.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:53 am 

CVA0190 wrote:

I installed the textures for CVA for the boeing 747-800 and it works just like regular you just pop it in the simobject/airplane folder the only difference is you have to go to programfiles/steam/steamapps/common/fsx to get to the fsx folder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:13 am 

Can it be installed to C:/FSX or does it automatically go to program files?
As far as I know any version should not be installed in any folder other than C:/FSX or you get ownership problems

Image....Image

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:56 am 
Site Admin

Cal Jordan (CVA371) wrote:
Can it be installed to C:/FSX or does it automatically go to program files?
As far as I know any version should not be installed in any folder other than C:/FSX or you get ownership problems

You can change the destination folder but it creates the string "F:\FSX\steamapps\common\FSX"

So the double FSX and steamapps and common can not be controlled.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:20 am 

CVA0190 wrote:

My Ifly 737 works, Iris C27J, KBT L188, Aerosoft Twin Extended, Orbx but check there forums just in case, CVA Acars likes and loves it lol, my Taxigate Sceneries. They all installed fine no issue's. Note I removed my FSX Gold before installing the SE version. That can matter in some case's. As for the X86 folder SE had no permissions issue, I fired the UAC in W8.1 and gave it a nasty spanking, I am the boss not you little brat lol.

CVA Prepar3D V2.4 Military and Pro Plus and Academic Pilot -- Windows 8.1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:06 pm 

CVA1114 wrote:
For me is a love hate thing... I love it because i have windows 8 and only the steam edition works.. And it seems that my computer can handle it ALOT better it seems to be better optimized then the boxed version...

The only problem i have with it is the CVA mods are not working like the Dash 8. as far as i can tell only the textures work from CVA on steam edition. I hope i can fly the 747 and still get accepted cause i have no other choice...
Edit: I say if you can still run the box version its probably the best choice unless you want mutiplayer back. because all the addons work on the box version but eventually everything will work on steam edition... I say if you have the space for it.. The game is compatible to be on the same drive as the fsx boxed version so you could install it and give it a go yourself :)

I know that under the boxed edition of FSX I had to turn directx 10 off in order for the cva addons to work properly. Don't know if this might be your problem with the Steam version.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:04 pm 

Steam is working very well for me now on Win 8.1. Not sure if there are any real performance increases over a good FSX Box Version install, but I will say it appears very smooth. And installation is easy. Based on what I have read, installing Steam while you have an existing FSX somewhere else on your system can cause a lot of problems with add-on installs. I would not recommend doing that. Mine was a clean computer with no prior FSX.

Many add-on's find the steam location just fine, but there are exceptions. Active Sky Next Weather is not working-they are working on it. Older Aerosoft products may not work. My good old Beaver will not install, and Aerosoft doesn't seem to be working hard to resolve their stuff. The Orbx Regions and Sceneries go in fine but there are problems with Object Flow that they are still working on. But they work otherwise. I installed the new Ultimate Terrain USA v2 and the older UTX Canada, and they seem fine.

I'm not fully up and running yet to fly CVA again but I am getting there. This week I saw that Fly Tampa released CYYZ Toronto. I could not resist! Been waiting for a nice Toronto for a long time. I got it and it installs fine. There is a lite version which I put in first. It is accurate but the scenery is not impressive at all. So I put in the full version and toned down a few of the options. It is beautifully done but beware, if you do not have a fast machine it will probably kill your frames/performance. I have only flown a few GA planes into it so far. Do not know how the fancy pay airliners will do.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:34 pm 

Good afternoon,

For your information and for those who understand French, please find attached an article relating to a test of FSX Steam Edition for the month of february 2015 of MicroSim magazine.

Best Regards

JC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:22 am 

FSX Steam available on Steam for 5.59 cdn until March 30 at 7:00pm Pacific.
downloading it now.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:27 pm 

I am lucky enough to have a computer running windows 7 and one running windows 8.
I bought the Steam edition because it was $6.00 and put it on both.
It works excellent on both editions with a sizeable jump in frame rate.
The windows 8 has a memory of 8 and the frame rate is over one hundred.I have not have one instance of it closing on windows 8 as I did with the boxed edition which was often.
The windows 7 has 4 and runs around 70 .
On the boxed edition it was around 40 and I had problems with the Saitek Cessna Yoke elevator controls. I could not use it as the elevators made landing impossible.
I still find even with the Steam edition the yoke does not work well on windows 8. It works very well on windows 7 though with the proper drivers installed.
I have a CH fighterstick and it works well on both windows 7 and 8

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:23 am 

I bought FSX steam for $10 on sale a couple of years ago and it is stable and works fine I have it installed on a separate SSD drive no problems at all gave up on P3D v2.5 kept crashing on me V3 didn't work and from what I gather P3D V4 is going to cause problems as most aircraft that worked in the other sims will not because it is 64 bit now but I guess the scenery is great as are other things but any add on's will have to be re bought for a small price and reinstalled. Been fooling around with X-Plane 11 and love the scenery planes are scares right now though ,

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next