It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:00 am

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: XPlane 10 + 757 Professional
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:08 pm 

Hey Guys,
Thought I would write a little something about what I've been up to. Sick and tired of having a monster machine that can't run FSX. I decided to give XPlane a try (again).
XPlane 10 out of the box seems like a step backwards from FSX. However, it runs REALLY smooth and with lots of free addons it starts looking amazing. A couple of free addons I have installed: UrbanMax, some higher quality Mesh (not really needed though), Charlottetown CYYG, Halifax CYHZ. I've also purchased the new 757 Professional ($59.99). This aircraft reminds me of PMDG's 737 NG in complexity/systems and nearly as nice in visual quality. Of course it is an older aircraft (757-200) so the systems are from the 80's, but it is amazing. The FMS is fully functional which is a must for my lazy butt these days. Flying it feels more real than FSX somehow.. I urge all of you that are getting tired of FSX's stutters/crashes/performance to give it a try!

Craig.

Post subject: Re: XPlane 10 + 757 Professional
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:13 pm 

Oh, one more thing. XPlane has a view system built in similar to ezdok. You move your view around (easily done with the arrow keys and , .) then ctrl+anynumkey, then simply hit that numkey to go back to that spot. It makes the 3d cockpits easy to get around in! (assuming you don't have a trackIR)

Oh.. you can also get up and walk around the aircraft. The 757 has a fully detailed cabin that you can check out on the boring parts of the flight.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:45 pm 

I bought a version of X-Plane some time ago - forget which version. I thought it was a good Sim. The problem was, it is just so much different and difficult, to convert yourself over from FSX. And the lack of scenery and airplanes didn't give me much incentive to do it. I don't have stutters/crashes/performance issues with FSX, so there has been no real incentive for me to switch to something like it.

But hey Craig, if you like it, go with it! The 64 tech behind it is super, and I'm not sure why it isn't competing well with P3D V2. Developers (well most) don't seem to be embracing it.

Barry D

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:33 pm 

Watch this video, it might change your mind:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-sovv8WeZE

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:56 am 

That is a very impressive video Craig.

I guess my question, not to you, but to the flight sim world in general, is why isn't the FS Community flocking to this Sim?

Instead, all I read about on the forums is P3D-V2 and all these guys who are swearing it is the simulator of the future, and that they erased their copy of FSX, and that they will never go back, and that even though very little software is working correctly with it right now, it will all work out and P3D and Lockheed-Martin is the future. P3D-V2 requires a high-end computer with a very high-end GPU card for optimal performance - at least right now. And it is still 32 bit because all the existing add-ons are 32 bit. Yet that seems to be what everyone is focused on.

I guess that is it. A move to 64 bit requires that everything out there has to be re-coded for it.

X-Plane, or something like it, probably is the simulator that will ultimately be. It's just the timing, when and where will it eventually kick in to the mass market.

Just my crazy thoughts. Have fun with it!

Barry

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:56 am 

I went Prepar3D V1.4 and 2.0 each to there own HD. I can run middle range or just above on 2.0 with my Nvidia GT610 2gig card. Of course the missing thing is the war of the OS lol. I am sunk with MS's W8.1 64, which in Lockheed terms and FSX drop sticks and dead sticks unannounced lol leaving your mid flight soured lol. Lockheed has a patch in there cooker and MS got flamed from Lockheed over there blunders. I have seen many FSX user's cross to V1.4 P3D and get a much better fluid experience then FSX. Barry is very right with Prepar3D V2.0 you need a stronger GPU ie Graphics card and it must meet the Dx10-11 2 or better gigs and preferred DDR5. Mine works and is DDR3 I think. My wife cleaned my Man Cave Errrrrrrrrr :twisted: and I cant find the box. Either way i am very content with Lockheed's P3D.
Flytampa Love with P3D V1.4 and the Iris CT-156 RCAF doing Some Observation lol.

CVA Prepar3D V2.4 Military and Pro Plus and Academic Pilot -- Windows 8.1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:51 pm 

No, I can't disagree with any of that. P3D represents the next minor evolution in FSX. We all know how to use it and it is relatively familiar to us FS junkies, not to mention quite a bit of our $ investment can also be reused. Unless MS decides to open up ESP and allows Lockheed to run with it and modernize it (at which time all the current addons will be rendered somewhat useless) I don't see a big future for it in the long term. XPlane is also not without its own flaws, but at least it is still in active development (from the core on out). I've been contemplating going with P3D as well since I have so many payware items that can be used in it. Given also that I just got myself a liquid cooled 4770k with Radeon R9 290x, I *should* be able to run it quite well. To me its all about 3 things: 1) Framerate 2) Aircraft 3) Airport Scenery, I gave XPlane a try again since they have made such strides recently, and I'm not disappointed. So.. do I buy P3D and try it out.. or do I go with the SkyMaxx addon for XPlane and have the most amazing clouds/weather offered in any sim? So many places to spend money.. at least in this day and age of FSX +7 years, we still have choice. That is a lot more than I had hoped for since the announcement of the discontinuation of FSX :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:27 pm 

Ugh.. I'm a glutton for pinishment.. I just laid down $200 for P3D. Watched a bunch of FSX/P2D comparison videos.. Gotta try it :(

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:48 pm 

Craig wrote:
Ugh.. I'm a glutton for pinishment.. I just laid down $200 for P3D. Watched a bunch of FSX/P2D comparison videos.. Gotta try it :(

P3D Pro Plus V2 I take it?? Let us know how it goes and also remind me your graphics card type. P3D V2 breaks Fs9 code. Be advised with Aircraft and Scenery. I cant use the CVA Airbus as it's IFDG Fs9 native. If it was Project Airbus, then game on as they have a set of FSX native Mdl's.

CVA Prepar3D V2.4 Military and Pro Plus and Academic Pilot -- Windows 8.1

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]