It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:16 pm

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: help with my xmas computer.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:27 am 

So I have noticed that most of the people that are really into fsx know a lot about computers. I have built a computer before, but that was about 7 years ago and I had a lot more money to build the best. So I just threw all top of line components in it. Now I am on a buget of 600.00 not including tax. just shipping. and basically my computer is used for saving tons of movies as much music as I can handle and fsx. But I want to be able to run everything if possible my payware planes with rex, fsc 9,orbx while flying on vatsim and we will throw in fsmovmap. and probably something else I havent heard of yet. Oh and want to run two monitors for now three in future. I currently have a acer slim case aspire x1420 4 gbs of ram 1 tb hardrive, 1 gb cheap video card saphire 6450 dosent even have a fan it was the best I could put in this computer. So I will take the harddrive and dvd drive and thats about it. So from pcpartpicker these are the other components I am thinking of getting.

CPU Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz Quad-Core $209.99
Motherboard MSI Z77A-G41 ATX LGA1155 $69.99
Memory Mushkin Silverline 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 $55.00
Storage OCZ Vertex Plus 60GB 2.5" SSD $66.99
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 650 1GB $114.99
Case Logisys CS206BK ATX Mid Tower w/480W Power Supply $29.99
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) $96.99
total 643.94
If there are any suggestions please. I have done a bit of research that is why I went with ssd drive but I am putting this on here since my main focus is fsx but will also be an every thing computer I just dont do a lot of gaming. I do some guitar recording and things like that but thats it other than storing media. I am also throwing build on toms hardware. but want opinion from you guys as well thanks.
ps I am buying a week before xmas so everything will be cheaper looked at sales for most of the parts for last year and says that week before xmas everything is cheaper. Thats why the 640.

mike thompson.

Post subject: Re: help with my xmas computer.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:05 am 

I'd get a bigger power supply. You will thank yourself later. Go for 800-1000 W.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:48 am 

Hi Mike,

I would consider a large enough case for future needs. Also one very important addition: get better cooling for the CPU unit. The default cooler which comes with the CPU is ok for normal use, but with the FSX things can get pretty hot in the cockpit and the CPU. You can of course add the cooling at later date if you wish.

I have an older Quad 9650 processor and a new air to air cooler did wonders to the stability and also allowed reasonable overclocking in my system.

Santa was early and I now have a 27" screen. With Track IR5 it is pretty nice... :mrgreen:

Jaakko

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:47 pm 

thanks guys yeah I am also on toms hardware they ripped that build a new one so I am lower to 8gbs of ram getting a 550 psu only because i dont think I will sli plus I do not think my mother board allows it sli that is. I would probably just get a better single video card or something. cause right now the build I have is about 250 watts. So I feel that the 550 should do good for sometime.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:11 pm 

I have heard SLi doesn't help in FSX...... :cry:

Image....Image

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:10 pm 

okay so this is the new build with suggestions from toms hardware.

PU Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz Quad-Core $188.85
Motherboard MSI Z77A-G41 ATX LGA1155 $69.99
Memory PNY Optima 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 $29.99
Storage A-Data Premier Pro SP900 64GB 2.5" SSD $61.99
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 650 1GB $104.99
Case Antec One ATX Mid Tower $43.99
Power Supply Thermaltake 600W ATX12V / EPS12V $44.99
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) $96.99
$ 641

Now do you guys think I would be able to run fsx with rex orbx,fsc9 fsmov map and payware planes while on vatsim. Cause the computer I have now runs payware planes cvakars fsc9 without vatsim and does pretty good with most settings on high havent really messed with cfg file just cause I really dont know enough about it.

Cal Jordan (CVA371) wrote:
I have heard SLi doesn't help in FSX...... :cry:

I thought I read that 2 somewhere does anyone know does fsx hate geforce or radeon cause I thought I read somewhere before that it works a lot better with one or the other but having hard time finding info thanks

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:23 pm 

The tech chap, Tom Horton, who writes in Computer Pilot Mag did a big evaluation of FSX concerning what technical things work and what doesnt last year sometime. Amongst all the things he found that affect performance was that CPU speed was the biggest thing. He found that SLI/Crossfire does nothing for FS, I think because FS has nothing in it that can take advantage of those video card features.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:50 am 

Thanks don I will look for that article.Really appreciate it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:30 pm 

mikethompson wrote:
Now do you guys think I would be able to run fsx with rex orbx,fsc9 fsmov map and payware planes while on vatsim. Cause the computer I have now runs payware planes cvakars fsc9 without vatsim and does pretty good with most settings on high havent really messed with cfg file just cause I really dont know enough about it.

Mike, you should be ok with your new build. I am running my CPU at 3,7 MHz with PMDG NGX, (JS4100), Orbx, FS2Crew, REX Essential real weather, TrackIr5, CVacars and VATSIM. Just landed in KRNO without big problems (only the damn VNAV wouldn't arm for some reason).

Jaakko

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:39 pm 

I'd agree that cpu is the bottleneck too, but also that any dual core anything that runs at 3.anything is good enough for fsx with a reasonable amount of ram.

I'd be most interested in seeing your Windows speed specs with the SSD. Many hard drives show as being the slowest part of a machine as per their reporting tool.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:18 am 

me too rob I have heard that the ssd makes a world of difference like night and day. At least with other games and programs. I have not heard anything about fsx and using one but i would imagine it can only be good. plan on putting windows 7 and all fsx just on that drive. Hope is does the trick. Right now tried to run cvacars fsx on decent settings with feelthere erj 145 and when I turned on fsinn (for the first time)my screen started to blink and had to reboot. so I will adjust some things and try again tomorrow, tonight have to learn my new pmdg 737-800 but hopefully I can get on the vatsim network. I have done so much work trying to learn this and that its crazy. and now that i am almost there I cant even get my computer to run it. :cry: Stupid computer. :cry: okay guys have a ton of reading to do.

cva 1203
mikethompson

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:37 am 

thanks jaakko I sure hope so

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:16 am 

No problem Mike.

I have my FSX on a Seagate Momentus XT hybrid. Loading times are clearly shorter than with traditional drives, but it is not full SSD. Went for this to have more room with reasonable price compared to real SSD. So far I have been happy with the solution. Win 7 64 bit runs on normal "old" drive.

Jaakko

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:57 am 

mikethompson wrote:
me too rob I have heard that the ssd makes a world of difference like night and day. At least with other games and programs. I have not heard anything about fsx and using one but i would imagine it can only be good. plan on putting windows 7 and all fsx just on that drive. Hope is does the trick. Right now tried to run cvacars fsx on decent settings with feelthere erj 145 and when I turned on fsinn (for the first time)my screen started to blink and had to reboot. so I will adjust some things and try again tomorrow, tonight have to learn my new pmdg 737-800 but hopefully I can get on the vatsim network. I have done so much work trying to learn this and that its crazy. and now that i am almost there I cant even get my computer to run it. :cry: Stupid computer. :cry: okay guys have a ton of reading to do.

cva 1203
mikethompson

Mike,
I built my latest box about 2 years ago(intel core i7-2600 cpu, 8gigs ram, Asus p8p67 mother board with two 4 core processors) and installed a kingston SSDNow V series 128 gig drive which I intended for just windows 7 and FSX leaving all the the other programs on a traditional 2 terrabyte drive, I also have a second traditional 1 terrabyte drive but use it only for video. You will be surprised at how many apps insist on installing to the "C:" drive!(or at least the drive that windows is on) I've been able to control the free space on the SSD pretty much but slowly things creep in. I'm down to about 6 gigs free space and the drive still performs really good. It's only when I get down to about 4 gigs free space that it slows down and FSX becomes a little slower opening and quirky running. When I first set it up I had about 63 gigs free space but so many addon's and scenery files later I think I'll need a 256 gig soon. (I just can't go back to a traditional drive now, I can't, I can't) ;) If I were you I would hold out until I could get at least a 128 gig or best bet 256 gig. Windows and FSX will pretty much chew up a 64 gig SSD

Also if you do install FSX on an SSD check this link out its a "must do" for SSD's :
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/windows-7-and-ssds-cutting-your-system-drive-down-to-size/2941

Good luck with your rig!

Gary

+Portland City,2S1,CEN4,CEJ4,KHQM,7WA3,CBB7,KPDX
G_NA packs 1-8,EDBH

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:18 am 

thanks gary I have been on the fence about this one. Cause the ssd was going to put me a bit over budget but really wanted it and if you are telling me that I need something bigger in the first place then I will just wait. Prob anniversary gift feb. which is not that far away.and what do you mean by this ( Asus p8p67 mother board with two 4 core processors) are you saying you have 2 i7 processors?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next