It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:54 pm

Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: newbie help from the pros
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:14 am 

Okay so I have flown like 10 flights landed I think 2. I know a bit about charts,radios,and navigation but not a lot. what do you guys do when flying like what I mean is from step one bidding on flight to step 20 landing plane. And to break it down further like lets say you bid then what do you do as far as planning do you just put flight in fsx and follow gps (that is what I do) is it unethical to auto pilot flights? Are you guys finding approach charts for landings, just I want to make this as real as I can but dont exactly know what real is so if I could get some advise of what I should be doing before during and after flight that would be awesome. thanks for all the help
cva1203
mikethompson

Post subject: Re: newbie help from the pros
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:43 am 

Hi Mike, welcome to CVA.

We are a group that focuses on fun rather than rules, but we do support learning all the rules that are fit to learn. So when you're starting out, you can take things one step at a time and make progress on your own schedule.

I think it's safe to say (I'll be corrected if not :mrgreen: ) that you do not have to know all 20 or more steps for completing a flight in order to participate. Yes, the goal IS to do complete flights, but no one gets hurt if you don't complete it. Keep trying until you get it right. For the ones you complete, send in the log for credit to your total. Soon you'll complete most of the time, then all of the time. All of us have problems from time to time and don't log a flight sometimes. It's still fun. I will sometimes find only enough time to do the flight plan, ATC clearance, and takeoff, just for practice, after which I will quit.

Here's how I would break down my training, which includes skills needed to do a full CVA flight:

1) learn how to fly an aircraft comfortably, usually a single engine, including vertically and horizontally.
2) learn how to fly on autopilot, which is different for every aircraft if it has it.
3) learn how to navigate using GPS from waypoint to waypoint (airports, NDBs, VORs, intersections, etc).
4) BONUS: learn how to navigate using VOR to VOR radio navigation, which used to be the basic way before GPS.

Here is how I set up a Cessna flight (a Class 1 flight in CVA):

1) choose an aircraft and route/flight plan.
2) start FS and set yourself up at the gate.
3) start CVacars and start the log.
4) taxi, take off, fly (waypoint to waypoint at the correct altitude), land, taxi to gate (and note your progress on the CVA online map). Go ahead and use autopilot until you feel like flying by hand.
5) end logging in CVacars and send it in.

Of course there are many things to learn, including working with ATC so you can fly online (on VATSIM) and flying larger aircraft with flight computers that control the aircraft (like autopilot on steroids), which is where the steps begin to add up.

Have fun. Ask questions. Most of us learned as much from being members of VATSIM as we did from being members here, so don't hesitate to join VATSIM and check out their resources which are used by thousands of airlines and flying clubs around the world.

Rob

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:35 am 

all I can say is "wow" I am loving this place everyone I have talked to is extremely helpful and have amazing answers. Thank you very much that really helped out. When you are starting out there is so much you are trying to learn at one time and to kind of organize it is a great help. Plus starting out you dont know what right and wrong is yeah I can land the plane and I can find vor stations but am I doing it the way I am supposed to is another thing so again thanks this is really going to help out.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:43 am 

So you say as a bonus fly vor but lets say I was an airline pilot do they fly vor to vor or mainly gps are they reading charts or is the atc telling them exactly what to do. I know there is not a right wrong way persay but when I am ready for the vatsim I want to be armed with the know how so everyone is not like look at this retard just tried to land on the runway sideways, hit the fuel truck and dont even mention the tower.hahaha

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:07 am 
Site Admin

That depends on the level of realism you want to achieve. Remember older plans such as a DC3 did not have GPS or Nav system. VOR to VOR was the way to go.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:29 am 

Well I definitely want the real as I can get it from the comfort of my living room experience not spending 10,000 on home cockpit. I want to know how and what pilots currently do so that I can try to do that. I really wish there was a video on here or at least a tutorial on what a commercial pilot does. This is an airline so I want the airline experience. Now I am sure most of this will get answered over time because I just got into this flight sim about a year ago and put it down for about 6 months. So I do not have a lot of flying time but I am also trying not to get into bad habits. But right now I dont know enough to know what bad habits might be. I will be spending more time looking up actual airlines and seeing what I can come up with just i know there are probably a lot of real world pilots out there that could at least point me in the right direction.
I do want to say thanks for all the help I have already received this is truly a great community with a lot of helpful members.
thanks cva1203
mikethompson

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:47 am 

mikethompson wrote:
So you say as a bonus fly vor but lets say I was an airline pilot do they fly vor to vor or mainly gps are they reading charts or is the atc telling them exactly what to do. I know there is not a right wrong way persay but when I am ready for the vatsim I want to be armed with the know how so everyone is not like look at this retard just tried to land on the runway sideways, hit the fuel truck and dont even mention the tower.hahaha

I once landed a small aircraft in Buffalo (I flew there from Toronto MANY times while learning VATSIM) and was so nervous and shy that instead of slowing down on the runway, I cut right into the first taxiway where a large airliner was waiting for me to land! I cut right in beside him, zoomed around behind him and logged off just as he typed in, "what the hell?" :D

I didn't get credit for that flight!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:14 am 

Hi Mike,

There are a lot of videos in YouTube. As an example there are great tutorial videos for the PMDG 737 NGX, which is perhaps the best payware add on plane available at the moment. There are also commercial DVDs on the market showing real pilots flying real planes with all the procedures explained in detail. Parts of these dvd's can also be found in YouTube.

I am also quite new in CVA, but it has been great. I have especially enjoyed flying the shorter routes and finding really challenging airfields to fly into. Some of them I probably would have missed if not flying for CVA.

As for charts - you can find them via VATSIM homepages. SkyVector is also very good and easy to use. If you get into IFR flying, you will need procedure charts for the airports in order to find your way.

Jaakko

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:50 pm 

mikethompson wrote:
I really wish there was a video on here or at least a tutorial on what a commercial pilot does. This is an airline so I want the airline experience.

Youtube is loaded with such training videos. When I want to fly into any airport, I like to FIRST study youtube videos of real world approaches and landings to an airport:):):)

Look at example of this week's event post on events subforum where I enclose link to video of Miami Seaplane base landing and take off

Aharon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:55 am 

Thanks every one I found some private pilot videos and will work my way to commercial you all have been very helpful. Will be flying with you all soon online. So if you see CVA1203 flying that day I would hide in a bunker might be the only safe place. Hahahaha

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:29 am 

mikethompson wrote:
So if you see CVA1203 flying that day I would hide in a bunker might be the only safe place. Hahahaha

My 777-200LR's monster engines do not hide. They rev up engines to create wake tuberlance to clear out any small planes out of way:):):)

Aharon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:56 am 

Ok so I figured out the answer to my question. First off I was asking the wrong thing.
What I meant to ask was am I suppose to fly by vectors and vor stations and the airways or just use gps and fly direct when flying IFR. Since I am class one most routes I have flown are direct or pretty much direct so never really noticed the route when on the pilot brief screen. I was so confused about how to naviagte and so confused why no one was really answering the question. Helps to ask the right thing But thanks for trying. hahahah

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:56 am 

The easy way, and the way I usually fly class 1, is GPS from VOR to VOR (or other easy-to-find waypoints). But radios tuned to the VOR will also work quite well and is more fun.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:46 pm 

yeah I like using the vor. Keep the gps up for backup and to make sure I am not getting off course. Just started getting the ILS approaches down. Cant believe I never tried FS before. I am so addicted.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:19 am 

okay having trouble putting a route into fsx. how do I do it. I am trying to fly cva 6022 cylw cyvr route icola j508 booth7.booth how do I put this into flight sim as route

Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next