It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:02 pm

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Results of Laptop Shopping Situation
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:54 pm 

Shalom all my pals,

Just to keep all of you abreast of what is going on with my laptop shopping situation and timetable for returning to active duty of FSX flying.

Finally bought against my will a new laptop from Sony Center store.

Why against my will? I prefer powerful gaming laptops from various internet sites but I have strict policy never buying laptops made of FRAGILE parts via internet and mail considering the fact that UPS, DHL, FedEx, and post office employees treat packages like American football or British rugby!! Believe me, I have seen that happened few times in front of my eyes. And it annoys me that not a single store in big city has laptop powerful enough to satisfy my computing needs and my FSX flying pleasure. All stores seem to prefer to stock up mid and low end laptops to make them affordable to mass public.

So it is 15 inch Sony "S" Vaio laptop with quad core i7, 12 GB ram, 750 GB at 7,200 rpm, and 2 GB dedicated video ram as well as all usual stuff.

So I will spend next 2 weeks modifying my new laptop to meet my specific needs and then re-installing all application softwares such as Microsoft Office, Photoshop, etc etc etc. And then re-installing FSX, SQWbox 4, fruip (spelling), FSCARS, VAFS5, freeware add-ons, and payware add-ons.

So the timetable for returning to active duty of FSX flying is probably in 2 or 3 weeks depending how fast I can work on getting my new laptop ready with all modifications and installations which can be headache for me.

The new payware add ons that I cannot wait to buy are: Aerosoft PANC Anchorage airport, OXBY PAJN Juneau airport, Tropical Sims ABC Islands airport package consisted of Aurba, Curacao, and Bonaire airports!!!!

Regards,

Aharon

Post subject: Re: Results of Laptop Shopping Situation
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:38 pm 

Yeah but too much trouble sending laptop back for exchange which means loss of more weeks without laptops. So far there are only two possible computer companies with service centers in my city which are Apple stores and Sony Center stores. Apple laptops are double price of Sony laptops. So Sony wins.

Now here is latest situation regarding my new laptop:

Finished installing Norton Internet Security 2012
Finished installing latest updates to Windows 7
Finished installing Firefox
Finished installing Paint Shop Photo Professional X2 Ultimate
Finished installing Paint Shop Photo Professional X4 Ultimate
Finished installing Photoshop Elements 8
Finished installing Photoshop CS 5.1
Finished installing Jpegcrops
Finished installing Image Resizer 4
Finished installing WinRAR
Finished installing Winzip
Finished installing AIM, MSN Messenger, and Yahoo Messenging

Next step is installing Microsoft Office Professional (I have not decided whether to install Office 2007 or buy/install new Office 2010)
Next step is installing FSX
Next step is installing SP1 and SP2
Next step is installing BluePrint Stimulation KIAD and TJSJ sceneries
Next step is installing FlyTampa TNCM (could be problem as I lost installation files)
Next step is installing France VFR Antilles Collection (could be problem as I lost installation files)
Next step is installing FSCARS
Next step is installing VAFS5
Next step is installing sqwkbox 4.0
Next step is installing FSCIPP
Next step is installing 20 GB worth of freeware add-on planes by POSKY, Overland, IDGF, Project Airbus, Vistaliners, Project Fokker, Skyspirit 2010, Skyspirit 2011, Skyspirit 2012, and many freeware aircraft companies including propeller ones
Next step is installing Tropical Sims MVPB
Next step is installing SimGiants Gran Canania
Next step is installing FlyTampa KBOS Boston Logan
Next step is installing UK2000 Edinburgh Ulitimate
Next step is installing CYQB Quebec City
Next step is installing CYVJ Victoria
Next step is installing World of AI and many airlines
Next step is installing all airports in my native country Israel
Next step is installing Captain Sims 727-100/200/200F, 757-200, 757-300, 757-200F, and all versions of C-130
Next step is installing Caribbean Sea Planes and Caribbean Sea Planes West
Next step is installing many freeware airport sceneries.

Planning to buy or get and install the following:

Aerosoft PANC Anchorage
Tropical Sims ABC Islands Package consisted of Aruba, Curacao, and Bonaire
Freeware KPHL scenery by Sky (spelling) company
Freeware Barbados airport scenery by Max Kaus or something (Spelling)
OBXY PAJN Juneau airport
Latin VFR TXKF Bermuda airport
Simaddons Canadian airports such as Halifax and Toronto Centre City airport
More Caribbean airport sceneries by Tropical Sims and Latin VFR

Aharon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:10 pm 

All wrong, :roll:

Install Windows 7 Updates get Security Essentials for win7, install all windows programs you want, keep re-booting after all installs
then and only then install FSX, FSX updates, latest FSUIPC keep re-booting until all is installed and working properly, then install pay-ware keep re-booting
THEN MAKE DISK IMAGE! (only if things are working good. You dont need Norton Internet Security 2012 uses too many resources and MS Security Essentials,
works just fine and is free. Do you really need all the Photo editing software? Photoshop CS5 should do it all.

Image....Image

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:45 pm 

Cal Jordan (CVA371) wrote:
Install Windows 7 Updates get Security Essentials for win7, install all windows programs you want, keep re-booting after all installs
then and only then install FSX, FSX updates

This is precise what I did. Do you want me to mention in every sentence in my previous list "rebooted then install then rebooted then......." :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Norton Internet Security never gives me problem for years and stops many viruses or attempted intrusion attacks.
Quote:
Install FSX, FSX updates, latest FSUIPC keep re-booting until all is installed and working properly

That is what I am doing.

So what exactly did I do wrong?? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Aharon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:25 am 

Aharon wrote:
Freeware KPHL scenery by Sky (spelling) company
Aharon

Definitely get this scenery, it is extremely good and, it's free!!
Hope you get flying soon

Ryan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:06 pm 

Thanks Ryan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:39 pm 

Anyway, I finished installing 85 percent of FSX stuff. Now installing all sceneries and World of Ai airline packages (Fed Ex AI is still missing from World of AI website's airline list which bummed me).

I ran into FEW problems: CDs for Saitek X52, CDs for FlyTampa TNCM, and CDs for France VFR Antilles Collections are missing. I am looking all over my bookshelves and my computer desk for missing CDs!!! Cannot believe that they have been missing for 3 years!!!

Is it possible to transfer FlyTampa TNCM and France VFR Antilles Collection from old laptop to new laptop using back up CD??

I can install installation files for Saitek X52 from their website but those two airport sceneries might be lost forever. Pissed me off

Also when I was doing test in FSX looking at all add-on planes, I cannot move around the plane using combo of mousepad and space bar. Do not know why!!! Also, to my surprise, even without blooming effects, the headlights of front wheels and wings of all planes are so bright and shiny. I do not know why.

Aharon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:30 pm 

Quote:
This is precise what I did. Do you want me to mention in every sentence in my previous list "rebooted then install then rebooted then......."

Just trying to help.

Image....Image

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:04 pm 

Cal,

I know:):) I was just making a joke:):):)

Regards,

Aharon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:56 am 

Shalom and greetings all my pals,

Finished installing all freeware and payware add-on planes into FSX SP2.

Finished connecting SATIEK X52 to laptop and conducted the joystick tests with great success.

Finished testing all add-on planes to look around. WHOA WHOA WHOA Never happened before in 6 years of FSX. The light beacons are flashing realistically like real world!!! And the headlights on front landing gears and wings are amazing strong!!!

Tomorrow will be FIRST flight to test everything in FSX (offline of course) to be sure everything goes well!!!

When everything goes well in next few testing flights OFFLINE, then I will install freeware and payware airport sceneries, SQWKBox 4.0, FRUICPP, VAFS5, and FSCARS.

Then assuming that few OFFLINE testing flights will pass, I will next conduct testing flights on Vatsim to be sure everything will go well. The test flights will be conducted in not so busy airports such as Alaska airports and Caribbean airports and I need to practice typing on new different keyboard first.

If Vatsim testing flights go well, then I will install Captain Sim 727s, 757s, and C130s!!!

Regards,

Aharon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:38 pm 
Site Admin

Sounds like you have a decent setup there Aharon! You'll have to let us know what your frame rates are as well - both offline and online to compare the difference!

Enjoy!

Cheers! :mrgreen:

CVA7769

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:40 pm 

Darryl,

Thanks for kind words. I am not aware that there will be difference in frame impact between offline and online. Will keep eye on frame rates although it is least of my concerns. Super gorgeous screenshots is my only sole main concern:):):):) I want to create super gorgeous screenshots that will make viewers say WOW.

Regards,

Aharon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:26 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Aharon,

In the past I have seen frame rate drops between offline and online and I know others have complained about this as well, especially with heavy traffic areas it can get to be a problem. I think part of the solution if I remember correctly was to adjust your Vatsim settings for the range in which aircraft are displayed (shows how long it's been since I did a flight online!). Not sure if it is still as big of an issue, or if it was related to one program or another (i.e.e -Squawkbox versus others).

Curious to hear your results.

CVA7769

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:31 pm 

Darryl,

Thanks for explanations. Will be more than happy to test frame rate impact offline and online but it will be while before I rejoin Vatsim because I need to test FSX extensively OFFLINE first along with all add ons including FSCARS before I rejoin Vatsim. Hope my schedule plan is ok with you.

Regards,

Aharon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:35 pm 
Site Admin

No problem at all. I'm just curious to see what your frame rates are because I know I had struggled with them in the past and eventually just found something that was reasonable without tinkering with my FS to much :D

CVA7769

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next