It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 pm

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hello to all. Another newbie.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:33 pm 

I would just like to say hi to everyone. I've read over a few posts and everyone seems so helpful and welcoming. Could anyone recommend a good starter route for a familiarization out of CYYZ? How do you go about planning your flights, fuel wise etc? I use flightaware's IFR route analyzer and FUELPLAN Advanced Fuel Planner from: http://fuel.aerotexas.com/ for my regular FS9 and FSX flying (single player mode). I just recently downloaded Navigraph's nDAC3 chart software, which is quite impressive and give all the SID, STARS, Approach plates, etc.

I have downloaded the CVA kACARS already.
I do want to get online eventually, yet reading some of the prc material on vatsim seems intimidating and overwhelming. Ironic I should be "afraid" of this since I have my private license for single engine, non-high perfomance aircraft. I haven't been active though since the about 1994, so I imagine I'm a bit "rusty". I also want to get a feel for the CVA regional aircraft before attempting online flying as I want to be courteous to others and not have a newbie throwing a wrench into their day :lol:

My other payware aircraft are: Captain Sim: 757, 767, 727 and 707, Quality Wings 757 and BAE146, Avro Rj, and Ifly 737

Well I hope everyone has a great day.

Thanks, Chris

Post subject: Re: Hello to all. Another newbie.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:11 pm 

Welcome to CVA, sounds like your well prepared and have a good fleet of payware. don't be too intimidated by Vatsim, it's not that bad and the controllers are very helpful.
Just pick a route that doesn't have too many aircraft flying, ( where the controllers aren't too busy) and have fun. you can use VatSpy or Servinfo to view who's online. won't be long until your flying into JFK on a friday night. sorry can't help you with CYYZ, but somebody will be able to.

Image....Image

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:52 pm 

Chris,

If you have no problems handing extremely complex operations of expensive payware Captain Sim, Quality Wings, and IFly planes, then I am sure you will not have problem handing Vatsim!!!

PLEASE PARTICIPATE IN CVA'S EXCITING WEEKLY EVENTS!!! Although you just joined CVA and is now limited by your rank to specific class of aircraft choice for all NON-EVENT regular flights, the best part of participating in CVA's weekly events is that you get to fly any class specified by CVA events' weekly instructions.

In event you already have gotten your rank promoted to class 2, you can enjoy Captain Sim 727s for class 2 flights!! This Saturday night's event on July 7th calls for class two and class five aircraft meaning you can get your hands on 727 or mighty 747 ONLY FOR this event.

Regards,

Aharon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:20 pm 

I can't tell you how many times I flew from CYYZ to KBUF in the dead of night so I wouldn't encounter anyone but would be able to fly and listen in to what was going on.

There's really only one big secret to flying with ATC in my humble opinion. Don't be afraid to say "cannot comply" if you don't trust yourself to do what you're asked. Be prepared with your own variation like "Actually, can I have vectors (and a visual approach)?", which lets them know you want them to tell you the direction and altitude to fly until you are ready to land by hand. It will depend on how busy the guy is though. He may encourage you to try some new things if he isn't busy, and he may not even be polite if he's stressed out.

Have fun.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:41 am 

Quote:
and he may not even be polite if he's stressed out

LOL I've wanted to be a fly on the wall for some of the new ATC guys, talk about stressed, :shock:
So you see, it's not just you who is nervous....... :P

Image....Image

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:54 pm 

Thanks everyone for all your input. :D I won't be able to join you all for event night. Unfortunately I have to work 3-11 (EST) this weekend. :cry:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:09 pm 

Chris CVA1140 wrote:
I won't be able to join you all for event night. Unfortunately I have to work 3-11 (EST) this weekend. :cry:

That is okay, Chris. That is why CVA has repeated event on Wednesday nights for anyone who misses Saturday night event!!!

Regards,

Aharon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:43 pm 

Well, I got the first flight out of the way. CYTZ - CYXU (Offline) just waiting approval. 8) Starting small working my way up!

Everyone have a great day,

Chris

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:11 am 

Welcome, Chris!

I use Flightaware.com a lot to plan my flights. I figure if the supplied route is good enough for the real air carriers, it's good enough for me! :lol:

For SID/STAR/APP plates, AirNav.com is your friend in the U.S. A little tougher in Canadian airspace but most of the Vatsim FIR's have links to the charts for their regions on line. Have a look over at https://vatcan.org/. Select the region on the left and I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for.

See you online!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]