It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:22 pm

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Flying Club or Airline?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:16 pm 

I hearby nominate Rob V. as Assistant Executive MULTI Coordinator. :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:52 pm 

Just catching up on all this reading. I just got back from 2 weeks holiday on Oct 8.

Frank's stats cleared a lot of things up. I've always wished we had some kind of summary on our front home page. I'm sure it would inform a lot of people, including ourselves, about our activities (how many fly and how much).

I tried helping out on multis before, but it seems it's like many volunteer activities - easier for the boss to just do it himself rather than get someone to help him. I think the best help would be a page where suggestiosn/requests could be compiled.

I fly most of my flights to or from a CDN airport. I think. Unless there's no atc.

cheers

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:13 pm 

Why not fly both ways??

Last edited by cva563 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:56 pm 

I think that CVA has evolved more into a flying club, as the rules are pretty relaxed apperently. I've brought this one item up before, routes/AC type. doesnt seem to be much vetting of reports, a random search found in about 15 seconds a pilot running a 747 on such routes as KIND-CYYZ KCVG-CYYZ KEWR-CYYZ. all approved.

As to publicity we should officially support such events as CZYZ toronto tension event held monthly, perhaps giving out bonus hours or badges as recognition of participation, also special awards for completing one off or special events flights based on real world events (I myself am flying the Formula 1 race schedule on my own)
these 1 off/charter flights would be available for only a short time (say a week). and could be based on real world events,ie: disaster relief, gathering of world leaders, film fest, sporting events, military support missions, etc..

How about adding a tagline to your serinfo pilot comments section such as "CVA 15 years and going strong"

Perhaps there could be a second tier of cva pilots, the "CVA Professional" to seperate the serious from the casual.
these pilots would only fly online in designated aircraft appropriate to the route, perhaps only specific payware or hi quality freeware packages.

Get out there and show the CVA flag is the first thing we can all do to help

Just some random thoughts
Pete

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:43 pm 

Being here all of the 15 years, I recall when there was no VATSIM, no IVAO, and even before SATCO (which became Vatsim); we would multi on Wednesday nights, by one person hosting a multi-player event on their computer. No ATC. Just a few guys whooping it up doing circuits at Kai Tak, or the like.

It sure was fun to not be flying solo, and have some other aircraft with which to interact.

Later, we thought it was great when gamer voice programs were introduced that let us talk to each other, rather than text.

I believe that the CVA community truly blossomed with the advent of SATCO and online flying with ATC. It was not difficult to find another CVA'er online, with whom to fly, or just chat while cruising. I still greatly enjoy chatting with Bill Haystead, and share his views about flying online.

IMHO, the decline started with more and more complex AI aircraft movement, and quasi-ATC being included with FS. You weren't the only aircraft in the whole world when flying offline.

Try killing those options and flying. No AI aircraft, no ATC. It will become far less of an enjoyable experience. I think that MS introduced these options as a result of the success of the online flying community. Hop on board.

I urge you to fly online. CVA has been an online community.

Our experience is greatly enhanced when flying online. One must prepare a bit more for one's flight, but that can add to the fun. We also add our support to all of the individuals that have and do make online flying possible.

As more and more pilots fly offline, we lose the ATC we once enjoyed. Who wants to stare at an empty scope? I truly fear that we are losing our online community. I don't want to see a return to the pre-online days. One person flying all by themselves. How depressing.

I've been known to fly VATSIM from time to time :wink: . I hope to see your callsign flashing by my windscreen sometime.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:44 pm 

Well said.

I have been guilty of not flying online myself and have noticed it is very rare lately to see CZVR online.
I mentioned a while ago that we should have to be online to get credit for a flight, that didn't go over very well.
I think ALL multi flights have to be online to get credit for the flight. at least this helps support the online ATC.

We'll see you out there. and I'm always on the company freq rw.liveatc.net/cva 122.850

Image....Image

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:41 am 
Site Admin

A real pleasure to see you again in these forums Ben. You are an advocate and well respected member of this VA.
What you are saying is correct. We do need to group together, and this will only start if we use a common meeting ground such as VATSIM. So flying on line would be a recommended way of getting credit for log hours. Though I have been with this VA for almost thirteen years now and have seen many changes and we needed to adapt to all kinds of changes. Adapting and being flexible was a way to accommodate many flying habits, and this is why we are here today with a wide variety of flights.
Then again If we want to really make this VA standout I would ask of some of our long time supporters of our VA is to try to make it to the primary event we have weekly called the Multie. This means you must show up at 8:30, not 7:30 or 9:00 or whatever time you think. I ask all key managers to set the example and show up as a responsibility to your VA.
As for other flight using Vatsim would be the best. Our increased presence would be ideal, and then VATSIM would know us better as Canadian rather than Canadian Express.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:12 pm 

Who's this Canuk Xpress?? Oh I know the VA pest in my Arctic Airways and Aft end :lol: :lol: That's why I wont go near Lower Canada's east section. I would love to fly from Iqaluit to CYOW or CYHZ, but those CXA guys stack the ATC and are just boring stuff shirts with no fun. Yes i know harsh words, but they earned it. They need to loosen up there and have fun and fun on ATC Duty. Never at Edmonton/Winnipeg/Vancouver Ctr have I ever had a stuff shirt or rude nosed ATC or a CXA pilot who doesn't respect Arctic flight rules of the Rwys and calling the ball if your using RW WX. Thank-goodness for Edmonton Ctr. So till there is changes in Eastern Lower Canada Vat ATC I'm on strike! I'll stay top the Arctic, Desert and Western Canadian region's. Once i see Ontario border I'm high tailing it to CYWG. Northern Quebec and Nunivik are no issues for me and besides I need my Iqaluit fix or i'll become a mean Vatsim Polar bear.

Reminder to myself this post should never been made and dont ever do it again. CVA0783 Tim H.

Last edited by CAF440 on Thu May 02, 2013 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CVA Prepar3D V2.4 Military and Pro Plus and Academic Pilot -- Windows 8.1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:22 pm 

I think we should highlight flying online. Would it be difficult to log online and offline hours separately?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:56 pm 

Today I was browsing around in Servinfo and noticed a new participant in our illustrious VA... one CVA003 Mathew MacMahon (KLMT) doing a KDEN to KPDX route using a B462/E. His flight plan panel was our VA but in the remarks his stated call sign was "Cerberus". I dont think I've seen anyone using our colours before so I thought this was interesting. Dont think he will submit a pirep tho. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:55 am 

Don CVA1279 wrote:
Today I was browsing around in Servinfo and noticed a new participant in our illustrious VA... one CVA003 Mathew MacMahon (KLMT) doing a KDEN to KPDX route using a B462/E. His flight plan panel was our VA but in the remarks his stated call sign was "Cerberus". I dont think I've seen anyone using our colours before so I thought this was interesting. Dont think he will submit a pirep tho. :roll:

Ha. For sure he isn't really CVA. Must have just logged in with something he made up and it didn't conflict with anyone else on VATSIM so it let him go ahead.

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2