It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:03 pm

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: CVAcars
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:51 am 

Good morning,

I am new to CVA and kinda need some help to get off the ground, so to speak. Not a total noob but I DO have lots to learn. My goal, as a virtual pilot, is to make my experience as close to the 'real deal' as possible. I have been flying FS for many years, but getting a new setup (VATSIM/SQUAWKBOX/CVAcars) all working is kinda confusing but I know with help, do-able.

I have been virtually employed with Atlantic Skies (KMIA-MIAMI HUB) for several years, but just want to fly in my country, airports that I am familiar with.

Two questions.....

1st..... I look at the roster in CVA, and some pilots only have a few flights, but many hours. Does this mean I can be credited for hours spent in another VA?

2nd question..... I downloaded the latest and recommended program, CVAcars, but cannot seem to get it to do anything (connect). The menu in the program is very limited (no help option). I simply need some kind of help file or something as I would like to start logging flights with CVA.

If anyone could help me out....that would be great.

Dave Cameron
CHYZ

Post subject: Re: CVAcars
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:16 am 
Site Admin

Welcome Dave

Dave Cameron wrote:
1st..... I look at the roster in CVA, and some pilots only have a few flights, but many hours. Does this mean I can be credited for hours spent in another VA?

Yes! up to 50 hours. This is done by sending an message to Chuck with a link to show your experience with another VA. Another reason why some members have many hours and little flight is because we evolved into a new web design and previous hours with CVA was carried to the new format.

Dave Cameron wrote:
2nd question..... I downloaded the latest and recommended program, CVAcars, but cannot seem to get it to do anything (connect). The menu in the program is very limited (no help option). I simply need some kind of help file or something as I would like to start logging flights with CVA.

In the menu you see "Info" click that and go into settings. Enter your CVA web (not forums) Pilot ID and Password. Start Your FS you should then be able to to log into the CVA web server and also connect to FS. Then make sure you bid on a flight from the schedule onthe CVA web site under Pilot Center. This will allow to get information on your flight when you click the "Get Flight Info" in CVAcars.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:22 am 
Site Admin

Also I want to add is that CVAcars is a stand alone program. You do not need FS to run. If you wish you can start the program and log in. On the Online Tab you can see other members who are logged in and also have the ability to chat with other members.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:22 pm 
Site Admin

Also, we switched from a more traditional web based site to this format just a few years ago. Pilots that have been members of CVA for many years had 100% of their hours put into the new system, they were not considered new hires.

As Frank has said, click on the Info Menu item and select Settings. Fill in your CVA member number in the form of CVAXXXX where the X are your number...in your case, CVA0754. In the password section enter the password you selected when you joined CVA.

Save those settings and you should be able to connect to the site from within CVAcars.

For more information on Flight Bidding, there is a tutorial in your Pilot Center.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:07 pm 

Thanks for the help .... 8)

I am now logged on properly with CVAcars. Still trying to figure out Squakbox and VATSIM......but that will come in time. From what I understand, I can log flights without VATSIM engaged.....just need to run CVAcars.

Still have some setup work to do but hope to log 1st flight this afternoon. Sydney to Halifax.

Thanks again for the help. Nice to be logged on.

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:27 pm 

Great. Check out the live map page and you should see yourself there.

No, you don't need VATSIM to fly here and to log hours. VATSIM is the only way to fly online together though, and the only way to have Air Traffic Control (ATC). It is the icing on the cake.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:59 pm 

On my first pirep I got this,

"I will accept this only this time future PIREPS must be filed using FSACARS or CVACARS program. Thank you"

And I was wondering if I could file them using XAcars, since I am running X-Plane 9, CVACARS does not recognize it as a flight sim, which renders CVAcars uselss.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:16 pm 
Site Admin

That would be me that put a comment in your PIREP. Yes XACARS is perfectly acceptable. I commented because your PIREP is manual and we now frown on this because we had some people join CVA and just started to send in all kinds of bad PIREPS. Thanks for your questions. Also note that, if I send you regularly send in PIREPS with the software, you can send in manual PIREPS and I will approve them. This is because I understand that sometimes software do bug and crash systems. By the way welcome to CVA Scott.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:19 pm 

Ok, thank you for all of your fantastic help! :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:09 am 

CVA9214 wrote:
Also I want to add is that CVAcars is a stand alone program. You do not need FS to run. If you wish you can start the program and log in. On the Online Tab you can see other members who are logged in and also have the ability to chat with other members.

Hey, does that mean I can talk to CVAers who are flying without having to start FS? Hey, that's great! Sometimes I want to do just that.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]