It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:13 pm

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Need help getting CVACars working
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:01 pm 

I've followed all the instructions (I think, there are some inconsistencies i guess due to a newer version) for getting CVACars running but to no avail. I just get the "not logged on" message and I see no planes listed in my config. Anyone have some suggestions for making this tool work?

Installed fsuipc4 (not registered...is this required?) and can connect to FS.
Copied CVAPlanes.zip
Copied CVA.ini
Copied CVA_config.cfg
Copied xacars.ini

Post subject: Re: Need help getting CVACars working
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:36 pm 
Site Admin

Actually, out of that list, you only need FSUIPC. Now go to your pilot center and select downloads. From there, you will find a section called Utilities. There is a download there called CVAcars. Make sure that once you have downloaded it, you extract or unzip it. Once it is extracted, run the installer...on Vista or Windows 7 run as admin.

Once it is installed, for Vista and Windows 7, locate the actually exe file...it should be in your Program Files\FS Products\CVAcars. It will be called kacars- Customizable.exe .Right click on the exe, select properties, click on the Compatibility tab and select it to run as Administrator.

Now run the application. On the top left, click on the Info menu item and select Settings.

In the top text area next to pilot ID, type in your full CVA callsign...in your case James, it would be CVA0750. In the next field below that, type the password you use to login to your pilot center.

Select Save. Now if you click Verify Login Details, it should connect to the website.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:34 am 

Well, first thanks for your reply. Second, I'm an idiot...it seems that somewhere along the line I entered CVA0740 instead of CVA0750. So, I'm guess that was my only problem.

However, I'm such an idiot that now I have to ask "what next!??"

I entered a flight bid (a concept I've yet to figure out) and specified the flight number but there is just nothing happening with this app. I clicked 'Get Flight Number Info' but it just returns 'No Flight Found'

What else am I missing here?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:54 am 

If you have CVAcars working, this is the procedure for getting a flight and logging it.

- go to the Pilot Center" tab in the CVA web site
- click on "View My Flight Bids" to see if you have any bids already set to go. If you do, you can leave it if you want to fly it, or follow the instructions to delete it if you want to fly something else. You normally can't have more than one bid in at at time unless you ahve them in the right order.
- go back to the Pilot Center and click on "View Flight Schedules" and find the flight you want to fly and click on the "Add to Bid" link for that flight.

- start FSX and CVAcars
- I think you should be at a gate in FSX, not in the flight set up window.

- in CVAcars, if you've set it up properly, click on "Verify Log In Details", then wait for it to show it recognises you.
- in CVAcars, once your ID shows up, click on "Connect to Flight Simulator". That response should be quicker.
- in CVAcars, once you have your fuel set in FSX (no changes to fuel or time or anything that could confuse CVAcars is allowed once you start Recording the log), hit the "Get Flight Info" and it will load the bid you selected above. You just have to check the fields to see if you like it all. You normally have to fill in your altitude, and ensure the correct aircraft is selected (all aircraft aren't available so just use something similar).
- make sure your parking brrakes are on, then in CVAcars, hit "Start Recording Flight", then go fly
- when the flight is over, set the parking brakes, hit "Stop Recording", then wait for the green "File Pirep" button to light up and you can press it.

have fun :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:19 am 

Chuck Dickey has also provided a tutorial for bidding. It is one of the links on your Pilot Center page.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:32 am 

Hum, well I've followed all the suggestions and no luck. It just doesn't work. I never get a flight.

I have no other intelligent questions to ask so, I guess I'll just go fly and file a manual pirep for now. If you have any other ideas let me know and I'll give it a try again.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:02 am 
Site Admin

If you open CVAcars and click on the Verify Login Details button on the left does it show you as logged in?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:23 am 
Site Admin

Flight bidding is not a deep dark mystery. In the past, you would come to the site, find a flight you wanted to fly and write down the details. Then you would go and fly keeping track of your flight time. After the flight, you would come back and login to manually enter all the details of your flight.

Now, you come to the site and select a flight to fly...you bid on it. Then you go and start CVAcars, click the button to Verify Log In Details then click the button on the right that says Get Flight Info. Magically, your select flight is filled into CVAcars for you. You can start either CVAcars first or Flight Simulator.

If the aircraft that is entered by default is not your favorite, you can use the drop down menu just above the bottom logo to select another. Once you have your selection, press the select button and the aircraft for the flight will be changed. Just remember that substitutions are only allowed in the same class of aircraft.

Now that you have FS running and your flight data sitting there, enter the flight level that you intend to cruise at.

On the left hand side, select the Connect to Flight Simulator button. It should say connected to Flight Simulator. Make sure your parking brake is set and click the button Start Recording Flight.

Go Fly!!

After you land and have set your parking brake, click Stop Recording Flight.

Click the File Pirep button and you are done. You can close FS, you can close CVAcars and call it a day. You do not have to go back to the site to file anything.

It may seem like a lot right now but after two or three times, it will be old hat!

You will also appear on the website's live map as well!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:40 am 

I had trouble with the logging part initially but now that works so yes, it says 'Logged In!'

I've selected a flight and it shows up in my list of flights. There is only one.

I click on Get flight info and...nothing 'No flight found'. And that is pretty much the end of it. There are no errors. Nothing to troubleshoot...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:44 am 
Site Admin

Could be a firewall/anti-virus issue blocking it from the internet. You may have to make an exception to allow it access to the net.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:03 am 

I thought about that being an issue so I ran a network trace to see what was getting sent out. Turns out that network issues are not the problem.

I see a request going out to 74.220.219.77 from my system (I also see my password being sent in clear text, but that's another post!!) and there is a successful response. However, the xml response data is essentially empty. There is one field with data:
<flightStatus>2</flightStatus>
and all other fields are empty.

So I've connected to the system, but it is unable to either find my data or my user information. This is some pretty deep stuff. Who maintains this system? Am I really the only person having issues?? Could my account be in some strange status? Locked out or something?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:24 am 
Site Admin

Hi James. I would like to get you last name? there are several James here and to help you out it would help. This way I can check. Right now the only James that is active in the system is James Ryan CVA0750. This person filed an manual pirep from CYTZ to CYXU yesterday and also yesterday has a flight bid open for a flight from CYXU to CYTZ. Is this you?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:54 pm 

Hi Frank, yes this is me. cva9292 was my old callsign. I created the forum name before I realized I would get a new callsign once I logged into the main site.

Anyway, I'm hoping you can help. This looks nice a neat tool. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:10 pm 
Site Admin

Can you post a picture of CVACars with FS running in the background so as we can see if you are
1rst) Logged into CVA Web site
2nd) Connected with Flight sim
3rd) Call up the flight using the Get flight info?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:54 pm 

Well, actually I tried that and couldn't figure out how to post an image that wasn't hosted on another server. I tried pasting an image but that didn't work.

Anyway, I can assure you that I am logged in. In fact the Get Flight Info button is unavailable until you have successfully logged in. And I've traced the network communication and I can see a successful request/response from the cva site. It's just that the data being returned is an empty document (xml).

If you have a quick instruction on how post a screenshot I'll provide it.

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next