It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:55 pm

Page 3 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:25 am 
Site Admin

I was just over at Avsim browsing the FSX forum and started to take notice of the signatures in the posts. All but one of the signatures that had computer specs were of Intel processors. By far the most were i7 Core 920s ranging from 4 GHz to 4.4 Ghz. I saw a few Core Duos that were overclocked as well.

I only saw one AMD processor listed in a signature.....

Coincidence...? ??? You decide...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:32 pm 

I was wondering, how do you overclock your CPU? Is it something I can do with my current computer? If so that might let be able to get better graphics for the time being before I get another computer.

So is overclocking a switch that you press or is it something you have to program or what?

And I was doing some looking on canada computers myself anf I found this intel cpu which doesn't seem too bad...
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Socket LGA775, 3.16 GHz

-Matt

Edited By mattymsboi on 1276436609

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:16 pm 

Quote:
I was wondering, how do you overclock your CPU? Is it something I can do with my current computer?

I'm wondering the same Matt. I have an I7-920 and it's said that it is easy to overclock. But I'm kind of scared of the heat. I think you over clock them in the system BIOS.

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:01 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, you do overclock in the bios. With the 920, I just changed the frequency as I recall. Still at work or I'd double check. The 920 is dead simple but you are right to question heat. I am running an aftermarket cooler so no problems. Still with the stock cooler, you should be able to hit 3 or dang close to it.

What motherboard do you have Barry?

Hey Matt, bear in mind that the Core 2 Duo is getting rather long in the tooth. As well, the 775 motherboard will limit you somewhat with memory considerations too. What board are you running Matt, we will see if it will bump up easy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:53 pm 

Just so you know overclocking your CPU will not help you get "better Graphics" if you had a GPU that was Bottle necking your CPU meaning it was running faster then your CPU could chew up the "data" then it would be beneficial to over clock your CPU.

But I would highly recommend that A) you take the time to READ READ AND READ some more about over clocking and watch a few videos on you tube... Look for "Linus tech tips overclocking" on Youtube he has a great tutorial on how to do it.

I will tell you this the first time I went into over clocking I had read nothing and was playing around and had over clocked my CPU by 5Ghz and destroyed it.

Any ways with the required reading and watching tutorials you can over clock very easily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:48 pm 

cva3906 wrote:
It is the actual number crunching horsepower that FSX devours.

Seriously, if there was any way to get your Q6600 to 3.0 GHz, you would be shocked to see the difference. It is like flipping a switch.

Yeah, all the systems I saw tested were tested on "games", not simulators. And everyone I read who said they could OC their Q6600 to 3 or more (which it will handle easily with reasonable cooling) said it was fantastic.

I can't OC my Q6600 because I'm in a Dell i580. No way to even change anything in the bios. ???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:02 pm 

And thanks everyone for all your suggestions.

I'm going to start shopping for something that either comes with 3GHz or can be easily OC'd to that speed. I'm not into building my own system and sticking in my current Q6600 quad so I'll swap it for something that has all the right supports. I'll see what I can get for under $800. I sure ain't going to Jetlinesystems.com - I don't think I have to these days. Any system with a quad core and over 3GHz should be fine. (famous last words)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:09 am 

Rob I would recommend you buy all your parts separately from an online source or a local shop and get some one to build the computer for you if you are not comfortable doing it.

The only reason I say this is because if you ever plan on over clocking most bargin bin computer sellers IE dell, acer, gateway ect. They do tend to restrict what you can do with your computer for example restricting your Bios and or messing with your ability to reformat your drives only allowing you to use a "Back up disk"

Any ways if you need some help picking out some parts ask and I will help you out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:25 am 

Hmm, I've been wanting to get into liquid cooling for the longest time. I was planning on putting it in the next generation but now after some reading I'm considering buying a basic system for this Q6600 and using that as a learning process.

Maybe liquid cooling might help me break the 3.0 barrier with the cpu. If not, it's still gonna be a good training exercise. It sucks that I have an expensive aftermarket cooler on it already, but hey, it's all part of the game.

Practicing on this Q6600 is a lot cheaper if I screw up than on a new gamer. And some of the prices I've been seeing on that site I posted are not that bad, even considering exchange rate, duty, shipping, etc.

HyperX Cloud II headset,
SAMSUNG SSD 850 EVO 250GB and 500GB,
EVGA Supernova G2 850W, CORSAIR Obsidian 750D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:07 pm 

Quote:
What motherboard do you have Barry?

Chuck,

It came with the computer - an HP model m9600t. Listed as a Pegatron Truckee 1.03. Here's some of my specs:

There is a finned cooler with a fan on top of the CPU.
I've updated it with a huge 6 fan Coolermaster ATC 840 case that's big enough to duct a room air conditioner into and installed a 840 watt power supply.

Edited By CVA0190 on 1276517856

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:53 pm 
Site Admin

Hmmm....first thought is the stepping multiplier. It seems to be locked at 12.

Here is a page from my CPU Z....

I will see what I can find out about the board in regards to the bios and we will go from there. I am working midnights for another day so I may be hard to find around.

From the looks of things, other than a different motherboard, we seem to be running about the same equipment processor and memory wise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:11 pm 
Site Admin

Good news!! You don't have to worry about frying your CPU!!

Just finished researching HP and the Pegatron Truckee motherboard with that version of bios. You are totally locked out by HP. Not a damned thing you can do either.

You bought a 2.66 Ghz machine that they down clocked to 1.6 Ghz so that it would last forever and not give them a warranty claim.

I would download Real Temp and Prime 95. Run Real Temp, it will show your current processor speed and stepping multiplier. Then with it running start Prime 95 and select a blended test. Watch Real Temp and see if your CPU speed or multiplier changes. If not, I would scream bloody blue murder at HP for selling you a computer that does not match the purchase specs. You did after all buy a 2.66 Ghz machine.

Real Temp

http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

Prime 95

http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/ (make sure to select the right version for your OS)

Wish I had better news.... :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:08 pm 

Chuck,
I got the programs. Thanks! Here are shots of the results running the PrimeNet.

I'm guessing here, but I think this thing cranks down the clock speed when it's idle. I'm pretty sure I'm getting better than 1.6 when running FSX or I wouldn't be getting the performance I have.

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:18 pm 

Your multiplier jumped up to 21 in that last pic, nearly 2.8GHz.

HyperX Cloud II headset,
SAMSUNG SSD 850 EVO 250GB and 500GB,
EVGA Supernova G2 850W, CORSAIR Obsidian 750D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:34 pm 
Site Admin

Very good indeed. That being said, your temps seem a bit high to consider overclocking. The max that one core saw by looking at your screenshot was 77 degrees. If you are still using the CPU cooler it came with, you may be near to your max speed I am afraid. I would be hesitant to twist the knob very much at those temps.

What you could try is to restart your computer and hit the required key to enter setup. On most computer bios selections, this is the delete key, yours may vary.

On my Bios, I have a section called Ai Tweaker. At any rate, look around and find an entry called

BCLK Frequency

It should be set at 133. Arrow down to it and try typing 134 and hit enter. See if it keeps the 134 in the selection. If it does, hit F10 to save the changes and exit to Windows.

Increasing the frequency by one will not result in big changes but with your temps the way they are, this more fact finding than anything else. It should only increase your speed by 21 Mhz.

Now run Real Temp and Prime Net again to see if the changes were in fact saved.

If so, my next move would be to start shopping for a better CPU cooling solution.

Edited By cva3906 on 1276544170

Page 3 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next