It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:47 am

Page 1 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:20 pm 
Site Admin

Well as you may know, I recently moved up to FSX from FS9. First, you should know that if you want to upgrade to FSX, because FSX is a heavy program, I recommend to you must be able to run FS9 with your sliders at a minimum 3/4 settings. If you can't, do not bother because you will be disappointed with performance.
If you can upgrade please do so, the program is very good although it does take some use to the new interface controls i.e. keyboard buttons are not the same as FS9.
The two important things to do to get it to run well I found are this awesome guide that can be found here.

http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041

He has some very interesting tips that work well. After you get it set up and running at best for your system, go to Ken Salter’s program and set this up.

http://alacritypc.kensalter.com/

For this was the ticket and I am happy with the performance.

Edited By CVA9214 on 1237143798

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:19 pm 
Site Admin

Good comments and recommendations Frank!

I've pinned the topic so it will show at the top of this forum and users can find this info quickly / easily moving forward.

Cheers!

CVA7769

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:31 pm 

Thanks for those two links. My FSX is now tweaked to where I have about 13fps in the most graphic intensive area that i fly (which, believe it or not, is still flyable :D).

I really like that I can also defrag my RAM with that Alacrity program, which i assume is similar to having to restart the computer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:18 pm 

Hi,

I have a question about airport scenery in FSX or lack of it! I made the switch over to FSX a couple of months ago and it seems to be working fine. I also added UTX USA and UTX Canada along with GEX Canada/USA. So I see really great scenery everywhere except at airports where I only seem of have a control tower and the usual gas pumps. No terminal buildings or hangers. I assumed that this was normal for FSX so I went on AVSIM to find some FSX airport scenery, particularly for the major CDN airports. I couldnt find any which came as a great surprise! I thought there would be loads of airport scenery files there. Now, I have to admit that I'm not so handy searching for AVSIM files so maybe I missed them. Now I'm wondering if what I have is pretty much the way it is in the FSX world or not. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:54 pm 
Site Admin

The only thing that comes to mind is to check your autogen settings. Default buildings are controlled through autogen. I know if it is set one notch too low, you will have no jetways either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:05 pm 

Don,

On avsim, there are two great Canadian airport sceneries

One is CYQB version 2 for FSX. Check it out

The other one is brand new scenery for CYYJ (Victoria International airport) check it out

Regards,

Aharon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:33 pm 

Ok, thanks for the responses. I'll have to check my autogen setting too. I thought maybe UTX and GEX would add to the airport scenery too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:47 pm 

Like Chuck said.

When I was running FSX on my "lower" gpu card, I turned down scenery setting too much and lost all the buildings at airports. Hopefully that is all it is...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:50 pm 

Frank, how much of a difference do you find AlacrityPC makes?

I have stopped using my ATI HD3650 512 and started using my new Radeon GTS250 and find my frame rates are about the same but it doesn't run as smoothly and the stuttering/flashing/etc are worse. And yes, I followed most of the guidelines in the first of your links, including setting up nHancer as described. And I removed old ATI drivers I hope.

edit - And don't say "just try it and you'll see"! :blush:

Edited By Rob Vanderkam on 1267573838

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:05 pm 
Site Admin

Rob Vanderkam wrote:
Frank, how much of a difference do you find AlacrityPC makes?

I have stopped using my ATI HD3650 512 and started using my new Radeon GTS250 and find my frame rates are about the same but it doesn't run as smoothly and the stuttering/flashing/etc are worse. And yes, I followed most of the guidelines in the first of your links, including setting up nHancer as described. And I removed old ATI drivers I hope.

edit - And don't say "just try it and you'll see"! :blush:

The results will vary system to system. I already run a trimmed PC and so the performance is slightly better for me. Some people have a lot more background programs running and there results will be much better.
I use it to assure that when I play with my sim virus scans or “program updates checks” don’t start up and impede my gaming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:33 pm 

Just a followup to my lack of FSX scenery... I found my scenery settings were at Sparce so setting them to normal density restored lots of default scenery. Thanks to all for the tips.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:28 pm 

CVA9214 wrote:
Well as you may know, I recently moved up to FSX from FS9. First, you should know that if you want to upgrade to FSX, because FSX is a heavy program, I recommend to you must be able to run FS9 with your sliders at a minimum 3/4 settings. If you can't, do not bother because you will be disappointed with performance.
If you can upgrade please do so, the program is very good although it does take some use to the new interface controls i.e. keyboard buttons are not the same as FS9.
The two important things to do to get it to run well I found are this awesome guide that can be found here.

http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041

He has some very interesting tips that work well. After you get it set up and running at best for your system, go to Ken Salter’s program and set this up.

http://alacritypc.kensalter.com/

For this was the ticket and I am happy with the performance.

By the way, Frank, what are your computer specs? You sound like you're happy with the framerates (or "smoothness", as NickN likes to call it), so I'm wondering if you have a better system than me.

I ran through most of the tweaks on the link you provided to NickN's pages but still have to keep most of my settings way down in order to have a smooth ride. I'd redo everything except my old ATI video card works fine at higher settings, so it can't really be my install or system.

I have:
-Quadcore Q6600 2.4GHz
-8 GB RAM
-nVidia GTS250 (core G92) 1GB RAM
-Dell mobo and box (i518)
-W7
-performance scores across the board of 7 except for data transfer which is 6.

As for Alacrity, when you say it "was the ticket", are you saying it improved things that much, or just a bit?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:35 pm 
Site Admin

I have

Single core Pentium 3.8 GHz w/Zalman CPU cooler
2 GB Ram
nVidia GeForce 8400 GS 512 MB (crappie card)
Gigabyte mobo GA-EP45-UDL3LR (great board 2 oz copper)
Windows XP

I have my FS settings about 3/4 and I get 7 to 14 FPM depending on the amount of clouds I have at the airport, In the air I get 25 to 30 frames (note frames are capped at 30)

As soon as I have a bit of money I plan on treating myself to get a better graphics card.

As for Alacrity I get a bit of change but not much because my system is pretty clean. (Not too many extras running in the background)

Edited By CVA9214 on 1268606296

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:27 am 

Frank,

Run Task Manager in background on Performance tab and go fly some FS.

Then take a screen print of what TM looks like and post it back here. It is incredible the amount of processing going on in the CPU with FS. I've heard reports of people putting high end cards on older machines and got 0 improvement 'cause the bottleneck was not at the card.

HyperX Cloud II headset,
SAMSUNG SSD 850 EVO 250GB and 500GB,
EVGA Supernova G2 850W, CORSAIR Obsidian 750D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:32 am 

This is the start-up of the LDS-767 and idling at Dorval on my Q6600 running at 2.7GHz with 9600GT, SoftTH is not enabled, this is only on single screen with about medium graphics.

I'm alone and off-line, network PC is shut down. Nothing else in the air and yet the CPU still hit 100% on all 4 cores while I was starting the engines.

Edited By CVA0014 on 1268613309

HyperX Cloud II headset,
SAMSUNG SSD 850 EVO 250GB and 500GB,
EVGA Supernova G2 850W, CORSAIR Obsidian 750D

Page 1 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next