-Longevity
-Noise
-Anything else you can think of.

Which is better then the other.
Which one do you prefer.
Why is peanut butter so smelly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 2:54 pm 

I can't answer this from an informed perspective, but I would presume it all depends on what you want to achieve.

Turbo props will no doubt have higher maitenance and fuel expenses but can deliver much higher blade speeds and thrust. Noise is an interesting subject as although I would guess that most pistons are quieter, the Dash 8 - QT series is astoundingly quiet based on personal observation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 11:08 pm 
-Cost The buying cost is higher on the turbine engine

-Maintenance When it comes to maintenance the turbine usually has a much longer time between overhauls, especially since turbines are derated in most cases. The PW on the twin otter have a time between inspections of the hot box of, last I heard, over 18000 hours.

-fuel and Jet fuel Cost Turbines will burn more fuel but then fuel is slightly less costly and they are usually faster so less time on route, if you can reach a good altitude then it costs less to run the turbine.

-Longevity The turbine wins this one as most are derated and run well under design max.

-Noise Depends on the speed of the prop, turbines with a large prob which spins at a slow speed are very quiet, much quieter than the exhaust from the non-turbo. Smaller prop means higher revs and more noise though.

-Anything else you can think of. If I was rich and could afford a top of the line aircraft, I would go for a turbine due to the lower running costs over time and faster speeds/higher altitude capability.

Cheers Rod

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 12:51 pm 

Quote:
Why is peanut butter so smelly

Oh Geez! Sorry Ron!
It was just a prank - I never thought that jar would ever end up on the shelves....

Was it 'extra nutty?'

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 11:03 pm 

Ron;

How timely! If you get the opportunity to read June's edition of Flying Magazine, Editor-in-Chief J. MacClellan winds up in the turboprop vs. turbocharged vs. jet discussion while discussing the wish for longer ranges by all pilots. It is a very informative piece regarding your question and far too long to try and quote here.

Flying Magazine issues are also on the net, but when I checked on the current one (to post a link to the article), it was the March edition, so the lag is pretty severe. If you didn't already know, Flying Magazine is available on most newstands and magazine racks.

Good luck.

Edited By Ken CVA868 on 1117149132

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 4:56 am 

That magazine looks neat and not very expensive to subscribe.

I think I will do that if I can't find it at the bookstore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 3:51 am 

Yes, it is a fairly inexpensive subscription. I have subscribed for many years and both gotten a lot of pleasure and learned much from the articles.

The other thing worth mentioning regarding this (June) edition is that, for the first time, MS FS is being granted guarded acceptance. Last month, Jay wrote a (perhaps) tentative article describing his experience in using FS9 to fly out of his home airport. He was impressed. This month, he revisits this experience after having received much positive and supportive flight sim feedback from others who are either simmers or real world pilots who use the sim to practice flights and/or approaches. The gist was that the sim is pretty darn good as a learning and practice tool in the real world of aviation.

Flying used to scoff at the sim. How things change! I am interested to watch this policy change mature. LOL

Edited By Ken CVA868 on 1117252415

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 1:19 pm 

Sounds like a mag . to pick up . I currently receive Plane and pilot , and and hinting to my wife to pick up a supc. for computer pilot for me but the newsstand price of over $15.oo is pricy and the sups. price of over 70-80 cdn . is up there . I really enjoy P&p lots of good articles and they too mention Fs9 as well . to the point of having it in their good Ave products of the month section a few times . this months articles on slipping and crabbing into a cross wind R/W is great . had to crank up Fs9 and try them myself . took a little practice between small A/C and a few mid sized ones ( 737) allmost planted them but . hey thats what fs9 is about . we get to walk away every time from our screw ups .
Terry CVA44T

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]