It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:38 pm

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: CVA Pilot Manual
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:29 pm 
Site Admin

Canadian Virtual Airlines Members Handbook

Welcome to Canadian Virtual Airlines. We hope you enjoy your time with us. CVA members come in all shapes and sizes, but what distinguishes CVA from other VA’s is our members and managers. CVA has never been about rules & regulations. Oh, sure, we have them – and this document will explain CVA’s rules & regulations. But, through the years we have found that our members look to CVA to enhance their (fs) experience, not to turn it into a job. Flying is, after all, fun. CVA is a great place to share our passion and appreciation for aviation.

1) Register with CVA. Just a few simple steps and you’re a CVA member.

a) Join CVA. Click on the "Register" CVA menu and complete the registration form. Please use your REAL NAME. requirement is for management use only – we need to know the range of experience that make up our membership.

b) your call sign is chosen auto-numerically.

c) Choose a HUB. CVA currently operates 4 hubs: Halifax, Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal. Your hub is your CVA “home base”. In 2005, CVA introduced a new unified schedule with regional, transborder, transoceanic and transglobal routes. Members can now fly any route in the CVA system, regardless of hub affiliation. Our hub teams will coordinate the Wednesday multi flights and will continue to provide information for routes that arrive and depart from their area. You can transfer to another hub at any time by updating your preferences from your Personal Information Manager (Pireps menu).

d) Contact. We ask that you include your PRIMARY email address. The we need to know the range of experience that make up our membership. That’s it. You’re a CVA member. Welcome That’s it. You’re a CVA member. Welcome aboard.

2) Register at the Forum. CVA’s forum is famous for educating, enlightening, and entertaining. Check out some of the topics/threads. Our Code of Conduct (at the end of this document) governs all behaviour, and we expect members to treat each other respectfully.

3) Explore CVA. The CVA website is full of useful information, so take the time to visit your hub, schedules, info page.

4) Choose an aircraft. So, you want to fly with CVA colours? From the Flight Ops menu, click on the “Fleet” menu. Welcome to CVAAE (Aircraft Engineering) and a wide selection of aircraft. For new members, it is required that you operate only aircraft from the regional listing. Choose a plane and download it to your computer. Once the file has been saved to your computer, follow the installation instructions included with the file. Start MSFS to ensure the aircraft is installed. If the plane has been installed correctly, you’re ready to fly… but first, perhaps some rules & regs from our

Code of Conduct:

• Members must fly routes/aircraft equal or less than their current rank allows.

• Members must fly regional routes until they have surpassed 50 hours. Members must obtain their silver wings before surpassing 100 hours. (Pass the Flight Academy exam)

• Only official CVA flights may be logged in the system. Official flights include - All flights listed in your hub’s schedule (that you are eligible for), Multi Flights, and Testing/Training flights. No exceptions.

• Pilots may log 15 hours in a 24 hour period, unless there is a special event or marathon charter. However members can only log the equivalent of a full work week (40 hours) in a 7 day period.

• If a member increases the simulation rate (2x or 4x) in flight simulator, real time hours shall be reported via Pireps for the flight. Managers have the right to verify hours, at their discretion.

5) Planning & Paperwork. Let’s do some pre-flight planning. Each hub offers routes, flightplans, links to charts and tools to help you plan and execute your flight. Before firing up Flight Simulator, take the time to use the resources available here at CVA (and on the internet): the time you spend in pre-flight will pay off once you’re in the sky. Most CVA members fly online with Squawkbox, VPilot, FSINN and the VATSIM network. For more information about Flying Online, check out VATSIM.

6) The Flight. Load your aircraft, and go to your origin airport. Set the date and time. Begin the flight with the engines shut down at a terminal gate (not the active runway). If using SB, please squawk standby, and contact ATC (if available). Recording the time of your flight begins when you push-back from the gate. Note the time. Fly your route. Once you land and are safely parked at the gate, record your shut down time. Wheels up and Shutdown. That’s the time you file with CVA (Pireps menu).

7) Filing your Pireps. Now it’s time to file your flight report. Go to Flight Ops and select Pireps. Enter your flight information. Count the total time your engines were running and round it off to the nearest quarter hour. For example: if you flew for one hour and 47 minutes, It would count as 1.75 hours. Half an hour counts as .5 hours, etc. Now press Submit. Your flight report will be added to your logbook. At CVA, we trust our members to file accurate pireps. If you choose to inflate your hours, so be it. The only person being fooled is yourself. CVA hub captains do examine members records, and have the ability to

8) Join our Multi-flight. The Canadian Virtual Airlines Wednesday Night Multi is a tradition that began several years ago, when the multi-player program Squawkbox was developed. Eager MSFS-98 flying CVA pilots had the opportunity to share the virtual airways for a night of fun, and voila, the CVA Multi was born. This tradition continues with each hub planning and posting the details of the multi-flight
(preferably on the weekend prior). If you’ve never flown online, but you want to, check out the VATSIM links, or contact your hub captain for assistance. Flying online with ATC and loads of traffic takes the fs-experience to a higher level. Hope to see you there.

That’s all there is to it - welcome to CVA. Here’s hoping you have a long and enjoyable time with us. Now, get out there and keep the blue side up!

Canadian Virtual Airlines Operations Guide

Pilot Obligations

• Every member of CVA is a pilot first. (management included)

• Every member must agree to the “Canadian Virtual Airlines Code of Conduct” and abide by it.

• Members can not be management at more than one Virtual Airline at the same time unless cleared by current management.

• Members are awarded Gold Wings for providing sustained and positive contribution to the betterment of CVA. Management is responsible for awarding Gold Wings.

• Members must fly routes/aircraft equal or less than their current rank allows.

• Members must fly regional routes until they have surpassed 50 hours. Members must obtain their silver wings before surpassing 100 hours. (Pass the Flight Academy exam)

• Only official CVA flights may be logged in the system. Official flights include - All flights listed in your hubs schedule (that you are eligible for), Multi Flights, and Testing/Training flights. No exceptions.

• Pilots may only log 15 hours in a 24 hour period, unless there is a special event or marathon charter. However, members can only log the equivalent of a full work week (40 hours) in a 7 day period.

• If a member increases the simulation rate (2x or 4x) in flight simulator, real time hours shall be reported via Pireps for the flight. Managers have the right to verify hours, at their discretion.

CVA Obligations

• Members will NOT harass, slander, degrade, or take advantage of any member of CVA, EVER.

• Members will NOT harass, slander, degrade, or take advantage of any non-member of CVA while representing CVA.

• Members WILL show the highest degree of understanding and respect when representing CVA in both public and private engagements. (ie, forums, emails, chats)

• Members will not represent themselves as management either internally or externally.

• Every member of CVA will attempt to make CVA a comfortable environment for all people, without regard for race, religion, age, or opinion.

• Members/Management will take into consideration every members needs/wants when making decisions and taking actions.

• Members/Management must provide a nurturing environment for all CVA members.

Code of Conduct

This code sets out minimum standards of conduct under which all members of Canadian Virtual Airlines (CVA) are expected to adhere. Agreeing to this code is a condition of joining CVA. This code is meant to encourage positive interaction between members of CVA and the flightsim community at large. This code is also meant to increase the enjoyment of this hobby for all involved. The following are the minimum acceptable standards of behavior:

1. I will have fun,

2. I will treat fellow members of CVA, and the Flight Simulation community in general, with dignity and respect,

3. I will not misrepresent myself to the members of CVA, or the Flight Simulation community in general,

4. I will not knowingly post in the CVA forum, or any other forum, false or misleading information,

5. While I may not always agree with other CVA member’s opinions, I will respect those opinions,

6. I will not post grievances in the forum, I will instead handle the matter in private with other means such as email,

7. I will abide by the Terms and Conditions of Service noted when registering for the CVA Forums.

Failure to comply with this Code or any part of the Operations Guide may result in suspension and/or termination of CVA membership.

Rank Hours Aircraft
Flight Officer (Regional) <10 Class 1
Sr. Flight Officer (Regional) 10 - 25 Class 1
2nd Officer (Regional) 25 - 50 Class 1 & 2
1st Officer 50 - 70 Class 2 & 3
Captain 70 - 100 Class 2 & 3
Sr. Captain 100 - 175 Class 4
ATP 176 - 350 All
Master ATP 350 - All

Aircraft Designation
Class 1 (Turboprop)
Baron
DH8-300
King Air
PC12

Class 2 (Jetliner)
CRJ-200
F100
Learjet

Class 3 (Transborder)
A320
B737-700
B737-400

Class 4 (Transoceanic)
A330-300
B767-300

Class 5 (Transglobal)
B747-400
A340-300
B777-200

Cargo
C208
C130
B727
MD11

Canadian Virtual Airlines FAQ

Q: How long do I have to wait to fly my first flight? How do I get a flight assigned to me?

A: First flight? No problem, at CVA you choose your own flights. When and where you want to fly! Pick a route, and the assigned aircraft for the route, and away you go. Remember, members must fly routes/aircraft equal or less than their current rank allows. Members must fly regional routes until they have surpassed 50 hours.

Q: How do pilot rankings work and what planes can I fly when?

A: As a new pilot with CVA, you will start as a Flight Officer. You will work your way through the regional schedule until you have acquired 50 hours. The ranking is based in hours flown in other words, experience.

Q: Is there a limit on how many hours I can file each day or week?

A: Pilots may log 15 hours in a 24 hour period, unless there is a special event or marathon charter. However members can only log the equivalent of a full work week (40 hours) in a 7 day period.

Q: I fly online with friends and other VA’s, can I log those hours?

A: Yes, if it’s an approved CVA flight. Approved flights include: scheduled CVA flights (that you are eligible for), Multi Flights, and Testing/Training flights. No exceptions.

Q: I would like to become member of the CVA and I am wondering if you accept the transfer of hours from other
Virtual Airline?

A: There are provisions for your Hub Captain to grant you up to a maximum of 50 hours credit for hours logged at a previous Virtual Airline. Provide your Hub Captain with your previous VA’s web address. Once the hours have been verified they should appear in your logbook.

Q: I want to fly online and join in on the multi-flights, how do I do it?

A: You have several options. You can check the forum’s “Arrival & Departures” category, or head directly to the Multi Flight page at the CVA website and check out this week’s event. To join in on the fun, you will need to register with VATSIM and download and install several programs. VATSIM provides real time ATC control over the internet through a program called Squawkbox. This allows pilots to fly online in real time with other pilots and receive real time ATC control. VATSIM allows for the most realistic experience in flight simulation allowing you to see other pilots and aircraft online and also allowing you to receive real time ATC over the internet through voice and/or text. If you are interested in participating with online flying with VATSIM we encourage you to join us for our during our Wednesday night multi-flight. Check out the VATSIM FAQ at https://forums.vatsim.net/faq.php or the Pilot’s Resource Center for more details. If you’re still looking for help, contact your Hub Captain. See the links on the CVA front page for more details. Also note that during multi-flight’s, members can fly any aircraft (even if they are not type-rated for that particular aircraft).

Q: Can I fly with CVA even though I don’t want to fly online?

A: Absolutely. You don’t have to be connected to the internet in a multiplayer online session in order to participate with CVA. It’s a lot more fun if you can join the online network, but it’s not a necessity.

Q: I have a question that hasn’t been addressed here?

A: Please drop by the fourm and post your question there - one of our members or managers will gladly answer your
question(s). CVA wasn’t built in a day, or even a year: we’ve been here since 1997 (or thereabouts). If you’ve got an idea to make CVA better, please post your thoughts in the forum, or contact management.

Q: When will my hours be processed by CVA?

A: Immediately. As soon as you hit the submit button, the work is done and your filed hours will appear in your logbook.

Q: How do you stop pilots from filing any amount of hours, or catch errors made in the PIREP process?

A: At CVA we are a trusting and mature group of people, we hope that all of our new members are too. However, we know that mistakes are made. If you’ve filed an incorrect report, contact your Hub Captain. At CVA, we trust our members to file accurate Pireps. If you choose to inflate your hours, so be it. The only person being fooled is yourself. CVA hub managers do examine members records, and have the right and ability to delete erroneous filed hours.

Q: Am I allowed to increase the simulation rate (2x or 4x) while flying? If so, how does that affect my total hours
that I will file in my PIREP?

A: Yes, you may increase the simulation rate, BUT we suggest that it is done on VERY long haul flights only (while you are flying over the ocean, or an area with little traffic) and have approval from ATC (if flying online). When you file your Pirep you must file the actual time it took to fly the route, from engine start to shut down. For example, if 4x simulation rate was used on a flight from Vancouver to Honolulu, thereby reducing the flight time from 5 to 2 hours, you must file your PIREP as 2 hours.

CVA wasn’t built in a day, or even a year: we’ve been here since 1997 (or thereabouts). If you’ve got an idea to
make CVA better, please post your thoughts in the forum, or contact your hub captain.

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ]