It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:34 pm

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:49 am 

alright kinda a bit pissed off atm I was just starting to finish my first flight from CYVR to VHHH and what do you know with a 170Nm left to fly the game crashes...

(this may of been my fault was doing to much on the side....)

I want to know what the procedures are about crashed flights spending 12 and a half hours flying just to send in an incomplete log seems to be kind of a waste...

What should I be doing...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:55 am 

OOOO THANK GOD.....

Update... I didn't close the game (FSX) and started closing all my extra programs open an installer, windows media player ect and FSX came back to life...after get a not responding error...

Any ways WOOT I can finish my flight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:18 pm 
Site Admin

Jebus wrote:
alright kinda a bit pissed off atm I was just starting to finish my first flight from CYVR to VHHH and what do you know with a 170Nm left to fly the game crashes...

(this may of been my fault was doing to much on the side....)

I want to know what the procedures are about crashed flights spending 12 and a half hours flying just to send in an incomplete log seems to be kind of a waste...

What should I be doing...

Hi Kaleb,

One point of note here....

It is expected that when you are logging flights you are present in the cockpit for the flight (i.e. - not simply setting it on autopilot and letting the plane fly itself for hours at a time while you are busy doing other things).

It's ok for short breaks - i.e. - go to the washroom, grab a drink, etc but extended periods away from the cockpit when doing long haul flights is not a valid flight. If we allowed this then we'd have pilots with thousands of hours that they really didn't fly here at the VA and that is not the intention.

Please confirm this is not the case with your flight.

Cheers! :thumbsup:

Edited By CVA7769 on 1259763547

CVA7769

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:00 pm 

I was at my computer for the majority of the flight started at 9AM was flying to about 9Pm I was not running the radio as much as I should, but FSX ATC is very dull no I was at my computer for the most part other then lunch, dinnner, bathroom breaks, I have a dual monitor set up was watching TV, and movies, and doing some work on the side... but YES i was their watching the flight the whole time...

If radio is a requirement to be used in very long haul flights then please disregard the flight and take it off, but once again I was present for 90% of the flight.

Going back to my point for the game crashing why do you think I was so rash and quick to start a post up I was freaking out that I had just lost 12 hours of a flight and life because my game decided to take a crap at the last minute.

EDIT : Aswell I should of made myself clearer the plane did not crash (the flight went very smooth) the game froze up and had a not responding error...After closing a few programs running in the back ground the game unfroze and the flight continued...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:50 am 
Site Admin

Jebus wrote:
I was at my computer for the majority of the flight started at 9AM was flying to about 9Pm I was not running the radio as much as I should, but FSX ATC is very dull no I was at my computer for the most part other then lunch, dinnner, bathroom breaks, I have a dual monitor set up was watching TV, and movies, and doing some work on the side... but YES i was their watching the flight the whole time...

If radio is a requirement to be used in very long haul flights then please disregard the flight and take it off, but once again I was present for 90% of the flight.

Going back to my point for the game crashing why do you think I was so rash and quick to start a post up I was freaking out that I had just lost 12 hours of a flight and life because my game decided to take a crap at the last minute.

EDIT : Aswell I should of made myself clearer the plane did not crash (the flight went very smooth) the game froze up and had a not responding error...After closing a few programs running in the back ground the game unfroze and the flight continued...

No worries Kaleb - I just wanted to be sure so that you and everyone else was on the same page for long haul flights. We've had many a new pilot come aboard the VA over the past few months and not everyone would have been aware of this.

Thanks for the heads up and your flight is logged.

CVA7769

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:51 am 

We still didn't get an answer as to what to do if the computer crashes for any flight, be it long or short. My computer has a tendency to crash unexpectedly from time to time. I know that the flight has to be just about finished as apposed to just started. But lets say you fly 2 hours and coming in on final and with other aircraft and scenery add on is when my computer may crash.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:36 pm 

The answer, all my pals, is called SAVE BUTTON.

Save the flight PERIODICALLY by pressing the button ";".

Or you can install freeware program that can do autosave so that either my way or autosave way, in event of crash, you can resume flight from specific location when your FSX freezes.

Do not worry about FSCARS. FSCARS automatically resumes recording when the plane reaches the location that FSX crashes or freezes. FSCARS will not record repetition of few miles of flight that you already flown before crash but will start recording from precise location when your FSX freezes or crashes.

Special note: when FSCARS asks you if you want to resume flight, do not touch it. FIRST, restart FSX and resume the saved flight. Then you say yes to FSCARS to start resuming the flight.

Also it is important to make screenshots of the frozen FSX and FSCARS in case you lose flight so that you can present your proof to CVA when you request flight hours that you lose.

Aharon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:36 pm 
Site Admin

CVA675 wrote:
We still didn't get an answer as to what to do if the computer crashes for any flight, be it long or short. My computer has a tendency to crash unexpectedly from time to time. I know that the flight has to be just about finished as apposed to just started. But lets say you fly 2 hours and coming in on final and with other aircraft and scenery add on is when my computer may crash.

Hi Wayne,

You can actually file a manual pirep and the management team will look it over and approve or deny it accordingly however the general rule is FSAcars is the logging system.

Manual pireps are the "exception" for certain cases. You can file this through your pilot center once logged into the website.

CVA7769

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:54 pm 

If something goes wrong in flight or FSX crashes(very rare for me) I either refly the entire flight or just forget about the flght and do something else. Im sure its ok to save your flight but I don;t know it doesn't feel the same starting mid-air :p

-Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:20 pm 

I'm with you Matt. I have a personal rule that I've always gone by. If I don't land successfully and taxi to the terminal, I don't submit the flight and count the hours. I either scrap it or fly it over. I've lost quite a few hours over years! :D

Like I said, it's just a personal rule. Nothing to do with the VA. It does tend to make one pay attention to details though.

Cheers Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:55 pm 

My personal rule is the same. If the computer or I crash, I don't log the flight, If it was real world and you crash, it's pretty hard to log the hours if you didn't make it. If FSACARS, VATSIM or Internet goes down, something where I can still continue the flight, then I log it.

Image....Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:22 pm 

I'm with you,Bill and Matt. What I used to was when I had a problem was to start over. I just saw the question posted and didn't see an answer, so I thought I'd ask it again and see what came of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:22 pm 

Right on Wayne! A very interesting question has been raised here as to what this VA considers to be a properly completed flight that can be duly logged and reported; by FSACARS or a manual Pirep or whatever. I have always followed the same policy as you and Bill in reporting flights, that is to say the flight must be terminated in a successful landing and taxi to the terminal parking area or it doesnt count. Have to admit I've had some flights that werent survivable and some that got done in by something going wonky with my system but thems the hazards! Took a quick look at the Members Handbook, paras 6 and 7, but it's silent on the point. Perhaps it should be updated accordingly so there would be a point of reference for us all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:45 am 
Site Admin

Don CVA1279 wrote:
Right on Wayne! A very interesting question has been raised here as to what this VA considers to be a properly completed flight that can be duly logged and reported; by FSACARS or a manual Pirep or whatever. I have always followed the same policy as you and Bill in reporting flights, that is to say the flight must be terminated in a successful landing and taxi to the terminal parking area or it doesnt count. Have to admit I've had some flights that werent survivable and some that got done in by something going wonky with my system but thems the hazards! Took a quick look at the Members Handbook, paras 6 and 7, but it's silent on the point. Perhaps it should be updated accordingly so there would be a point of reference for us all.

Hi Don / All,

I agree that we do not want pilots just submitting manual pireps to try and get credit for hours and the general rule of thumbs is the FSAcars log must be submitted to get credit for the hours flown.

However, there have been occasions where something has not been reported properly through FSAcars at no fault of the pilot, or where a pilot has landed successfully however the game crashed before being able to taxi to terminal / set parking brakes.

As a result, we do have the option for manual pireps to be submitted but it is not the preferred method. While these can be submitted, if a pilot is found to be abusing this then the hours are not credited and it is at the discretion of the management to accept / reject these flights. We can tell on the system when a manual pirep has been filed and any pilot that has excessive manual pireps filed will likely have them rejected...and have a talking to in order to get their system fixed up.

Hope this helps clear up the confusion and yes that is a good idea about an update in the CVA info document. We're working on updating this as we speak.

CVA7769

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:22 pm 

True

Also, it is important when doing manual flight report filing in event of FSX freeze or FSCARS malfunction, it would be big help to CVA management if any of you enclose in the comment section HYPERLINK TO your www.vataware.com flight record as proof so that the CVA management can verify specific hours.

Aharon

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next