It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:54 am

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:32 am 

New pilot saying hello.

I am rather new to Flight Sim, but enjoy it alot. After just messing around for a while without any real direction, I decided to try out a VA for some extra fun. So, here I am! :thumbsup:

I am still getting things set up before I go on my first flight. I think I have FSinn/VATSIM going ok. Next will be a test of FSACARS.

I do have a few questions.

I noticed mention of FSPassengers as the report tool for flights. I tried FSPassengers for FS9 and liked it, but did not see it mentioned in the handbook. Does anyone have an opinion on using it or FSACARS? I suppose FSPassengers flights will not show up on the live map.

How close do we have to fly the actual flight plans, as far as SID/STARS, waypoints, etc... I am quite new to flying so I expect to have some issues for a little while. I do want to try my best, learn and get better. I will probably also fly my flights without VATSIM until I feel comfortable, but will pop on once in a while to get used to it.

Finally, how do I get the cool signature images :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:02 am 

First of all... Welcome to CVA! My name is Matt, and im sure the rest of the guys will introduce themselves, everyone here at CVA is awesome though so not to worry, we will try to answer all your questions :) For the time being I will help you to the best of my ability untill someone more experienced adds their imput.

FSPassengers can log flights but I reccomend using FSACars, it allows you to appear on the livemap which is easier for you if you plan on comming to multi nights (which are saturdays and wednesdays, you should check them out they're great) and its nice to see you online so if any other pilots are online, they can chat with you and stuff, now I've never tried sending a VA flight from FSPassengers, so Im a little one-sided but FSAcars gives you nice information at the end of your flight such as takeoff speeds, when you used flaps, gear, landing speed and your vertical speed, ect. Its a great way to learn from your mistakes or to see when you've done an awesome landing! :thumbsup:

If your flying VATSIM, flight plans are very important, if you fly offline, ussualy FSX ATC will give you IFR vectors to your destination(which is basically following your flight plan)

When using VATSIM, I like to use simroutes.com and save the flight plan, and open it up in FSX, or if you'd rather use FSX's flight planner, thats cool too but be carful as to what VOR's it uses, as some routes aren't considered good for Air traffic controllers (they are not the "preffered" routes) and they will ammend your flight plan. The easiest way to follow a flight plan is using your GPS, if you load a flight plan, everything is programmed in it and it will take you to all the waypoints/VOR's ect. with the flip of a switch :D

If your more into flying the plane yourself without the help of autopilot, the NAVLOG in you kneeboard will provide you with proper headings and altitudes to follow to get to each VOR/Waypoint. If you fly VATSIM and ATC are online in your location, they will make you fly SID's and STAR's in and out of the airport, not to fear, we have charts for this! You can find almost any chart you need wether its ILS landings, approaches, arrivals, departures, ect at this site chartfinder.vatsim.net I use it alot and its very helpful :)

Also I reccomend when you first start off flying on VATSIM, don't be afraid to ask questions and make sure you always understand what you are being told or asked to do, so there is no confusion in the air or on the ground, write "NEW TO VATSIM" in the comments section of your flight plans when you send them to tower with FSInn (I don't know if your using squakbox but I use FSInn so thats all I know xD) anywho, ATC will be glad to help you as long as your prepared and not braindead, you should be fine! :laugh:

Since your starting off new, CVA's graduated system of flying is perfect for anyone, I myself started here as a beginner fly'er and to VATSIM, and although im still not perfect today, i've learned a great deal here. Start off with short flights using your designated Class 1 aircraft (make sure you fly flights that are your correct class level and aircraft level)

If you need any help setting up VATSIM or need help getting started with anything, I'd be more than happy to help, just let me know. And im sure that goes for most of us here, we'd all be happy to help!

(apologizes for my rediculously long response)

Clear Skies and Safe landings!

Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:04 am 

As far as FS Passengers goes, You can use both FS Passengers and FSAcars. I do and have no problems. I haven't dived in to the FS PAX config in ACARS yest but I believe you can sync them up as well. I open my FS Pass first and get my fuel set before starting FSAcars.

I sometimes use alternate flight plans and copy them in to the FSAcars route. I don't think this is a problem for management but I'll let them answer that.

Image Image

What is that goat doing way up here in the clouds?
www.virtual-skies.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:50 am 

I have used some artistic license in my flight plans and never got a mention. I start off with the waypoints on the schedule as a base, then get the departure charts from that site Matt listed above and add those waypoints, and then add the arrival waypoints also from that site all using FS-X flight planner for now.

I intend to get something better but for now that's what I use. Some waypoints are not in FS-X, that's where the artistic license comes in. I also sometimes check SimRoutes and try to incorporate those in my plan as well, when the points exist.

Keep in mind that ATC can change stuff around if your route isn't up to snuff. It's no biggy when it's for departure, you can just edit and resubmit. It's when ATC asks me to change arrival stuff in-flight that throws me for a loop. I'm also new at this online stuff.

And welcome. :)

HyperX Cloud II headset,
SAMSUNG SSD 850 EVO 250GB and 500GB,
EVGA Supernova G2 850W, CORSAIR Obsidian 750D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:33 am 

mattymsboi wrote:
If you fly VATSIM and ATC are online in your location, they will make you fly SID's and STAR's in and out of the airport, not to fear, we have charts for this!

I know this is going to sound picky, but I see a common misconception here...

ATC will not "MAKE" you fly a SID or STAR. If you cannot, don't have the charts or just don't feel like it say "Unable xxx SID" and ATC will give you alternate instructions. Same wiht STAR - don't accept something you cannot fly!

SIDS and STARS make the planning and clearances easy, and help traffic flow as everyone does the same thing, but only if you are able!

If you say unable,say for a STAR, you will just get a string of heading vectors and altitude restrictions that will get you to the airport. Much easier for the beginner. Us ATC types are always happy to provide Vectors. What really disrupts things is someone who accepts a SID/STAR in the clearance then does not fly it. We are happt when one is declined!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:19 pm 

Thanks for the responses.

I forgot to put important info in my greeting (and I don't seem to have permission to edit):

My name is Clayton Boak, I live in Toronto. I do not have any real world experience flying.

For my flight sim experience, I really am only comfortable in small, prop planes, like the 172 and Baron. I have less than 2 hours experience flying heavys.

I do look forward to trying new things though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:28 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome to CVA Clayton. From my viewpoint, I would not be in a big rush to jump onto Vatsim at this stage. I would get more comfortable with a single aircraft type, learn all the systems and how the radios work.

Once you are able to fly the wings off of it, know how to operate the radios and can plan a flight correctly, then log onto to Vatsim and check it out.

There is no sense trying to learn a new aircraft type and new techniques in flight planning while trying to sort out how to communicate in Vatsim.

As far as your image goes, try wrapping what you have in images tags.

In front of your image link, put a left square bracket, the letters img and then a right square bracket. After the link put a left square bracket followed by a forward slash, then the letters img and a right square bracket.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:08 pm 

Clayton, try just flying the Cessna or Beechcraft in and out of airports without ATC but get on VATSIM anyways just for the experience.

You can use ServInfo to find a area without ATC. That way you can do what you want without disturbing anyone and get familiar with ATC lingo.

You can also just sit in your plane at an airport with ATC and just listen in. You can tell your intentions to ATC with your flight plane, or tune your radio to their station at let them know by using Squawkbox or FSinn.

Nothing is stopping you from flying offline if you want.

HyperX Cloud II headset,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:15 pm 

Well, just did my first flight, and looks like I messed up the report. Sorry. I was quite sure I put in the flight number. Also, for some reason, the log on the web page does not appear to have logged any info from takeoff to cruise to descent. It only has my short final to landing and parking. The log file I have stored seems to have everything.

Which brings me to another question. Do we send reports if we crash? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:16 pm 

CVA1409 wrote:
mattymsboi wrote:
If you fly VATSIM and ATC are online in your location, they will make you fly SID's and STAR's in and out of the airport, not to fear, we have charts for this!

I know this is going to sound picky, but I see a common misconception here...

ATC will not "MAKE" you fly a SID or STAR. If you cannot, don't have the charts or just don't feel like it say "Unable xxx SID" and ATC will give you alternate instructions. Same wiht STAR - don't accept something you cannot fly!

SIDS and STARS make the planning and clearances easy, and help traffic flow as everyone does the same thing, but only if you are able!

If you say unable,say for a STAR, you will just get a string of heading vectors and altitude restrictions that will get you to the airport. Much easier for the beginner. Us ATC types are always happy to provide Vectors. What really disrupts things is someone who accepts a SID/STAR in the clearance then does not fly it. We are happt when one is declined!

Sorry! Yeah you don't have to accept SIDS and STARS but Its good to learn these early on, but I also think they are easier to learn from than ATC vectoring you out of the airport for these following reasons....

1. If you have the chart right infront of you, you don't have to worry about scribbling to write things down, hes new to the ATC lingo and its better to see them in writing first then hearing them. And by the chart being there you can always look back at the information easily(I know I have messy writing so sometimes it makes life easier to just have sumthing typed :) )

2. Even if ATC knows your new, all that instruction can leave some people confused, which I know they will have to learn eventually, but its best to learn how to actually fly a SID or STAR so you know what to expect, rather than rely on ATC all the time.

Naturally, you might not have access to another computer while flying or something, and since your new ATC can be a great help, and remember if you don't know how to do something, like Richard said, just say unable and they will be more than happy to vector you out of there provided they aren't too busy.

Oh another thing,I think Robert already mentionned this but I'll say it again, since your very new to all this, try remote areas where there isen't neccesarily no ATC online, but where there isen't too much traffic, the more traffic, the more confusion for you. And stick to light aircraft for now, upgrade aircraft whenever you feel your ready, and in no time, you'll be flying our 747's like a pro!

Another tip is to know what ATC will be calling you, espicially when things get busy, you need to make sure you know when they are talking to you. But of course flying offline is just as good, upgrade to VATSIM whenever you feel comfortable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:26 pm 

Clayton, I'd love to fly with you, I could use the extra practice (and with anyone else that would like to join). I recommend the Beechcraft King Air 350, for some reason it was easier to handle for me.

We can meet on VATSIM in some remote area and just hop from airport to airport. You get to practice landings and take-offs, flight is always easier to handle.

HyperX Cloud II headset,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:33 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Clayton, I fixed up your flight report for you on our end. Check out the FSAcars Support forum here and look for the "Quick Start Guide" thread. I am sure that a quick read through that will have you up to speed with FSAcars quite quickly.

As well, please visit your Pilot Center and click on "View my Flight Bids". Delete the bid for the flight you have already flown unless you want to fly it again.

In regards to crashes...crashes are not allowed. It gets awfully expensive repairing aircraft and the lawsuits could sink an airline!! :D

If we see an FSAcars report with a crash, the flight will be rejected. Now if a pilot were to elect not to submit it through FSAcars and filed it manually, we would accept it since we know are pilots are excellent fliers and would not crash their aircraft... ???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:42 pm 

Thanks for fixing it. I read through the guide yesterday, and I am pretty sure that I followed it exactly. I just read through it again, and I believe I did everything right.

I don't think I altered any of the other settings, and in fact I don't think I changed the flight number at all in FSacars. I did at one point put the flight number in FSX for the in game ATC to use.

I do have a copy of the full log stored on my PC too.

Edit: Yay, my sig works now :)

And I'll do my best not to crash :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:22 pm 

Hi man, welcome here.
çMy little piece of advise is to start flying for fun, at the same time start5 reading the papers you can found in CVA academy, they help me a lot, and start doing "real" flights, in no time you will find yourself being an expert on navigation,, holding etc. You do not have to do it, but the more realistic, the more fun, just dont push it.
And in no time you will find yourself with more than 200 posts and helping new guys.
Have fun, feel welcome here, and hope to c u on the multis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:12 pm 

I just signed up for CAV and enjoy it. Better then bumming around in free flight. I have a question about installing new planes. My first few flights i was using the FSX King Air (same plane different paintjob) Now i download the B1900D. I rand the app. sucessfully installed it but its not showing up on my aircraft list? What am i missing here? I have a couple of other planes downloaded from simviation.com and they were a chore to install. Any ideas anyone? replies will be a great help.

Cheers,
Jeremy

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next