It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:40 pm

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:16 pm 

Hi guys,

I'm new to CVA and looking forward to flying with you guys. However, there are a few things I'm not to sure of. I have no problems connecting online with squakbox, but most of the time there is no ATC online. The only controller online is usually CHI_CTR. What do I do when there is no controller online for my area? Do I use the ATC thats built into FSX or just file my flight plan and go? Any help that anyone could give would be much appreciated.

Thanks to all who reply
Justin
CVA0299

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:15 am 

You got it right the second time, Justin. Many of us fly without ATC - there just isn't enough of them to go around. So file your flight plan (in case you run into ATC part way through), set your Com radio to Unicom (122.80), type in your basic intentions (example below), and have a blast.

CYYZ traffic - B350 is taxiing to RWY 24R
CYYZ traffic - B350 is taking off RWY 24R for departure to HDG 150 and FL200

And if you see any CVAers online too, give a private message and say hello (use the .msg command in SB)

And if you don't have it, you can use ServInfo fo rfree to see where there is ATC. Once you're good at it, you can see them online, and set yourself up to either take off or land or fly through there.

And welcome to CVA! :thumbsup:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:23 am 

Awesome, thank you very much. So basically, when flying without ATC, I just file and fly the route from whichever scheduled flight I get from the CVA website?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:57 am 

Yup. How are you monitoring traffic, btw, when there's no ATC? And you've turned crash 'off' in FS?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:32 am 

I just logged on and filed a flight plan as observing ATC comms, but there was only the one controller on so it was a very brief session. As for "crash," are you referring to the "Detect crashes" option in FSX settings? If so then no.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:57 am 
Site Admin

You should always set detect crashes to off when flying on Vatsim. If, heaven forbid, you have a crash, FS could reset your flight to sitting on the runway at your departure. This would not be a good thing if another pilot was on short final with a 747.

I have had it happen before. Just when you think you have it lined up perfect for a greaser, you have to go around. :angry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:04 pm 

I see, I didn't realize that......never had a crash yet LOL, knock on wood. I'll definately be shutting that off next time I go online.....thanks again guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:43 pm 

It's actually a requirement for flying on VATSIM, but some people don't do it. They want more realism or something, but one day they'll have a crash and then....they'll realise that it's not just their realism that gets affected. :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:10 am 

so true.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]