It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:32 pm

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:22 am 

Hello everyone, My name is Ryan, I currntly reside in Edmonton, AB. I have been looking at your site for a bit now and been interested in starting a career in VA. I would like to get more involved with the Canadian group of pilots by joining your multi nights that sound like a blast, I have just started my cockpit phase one (bringing it out of the dark ages feom the desk top era to a basic cockpit set up) I hope to complete this within a week this weekend at the latest. I want to prepare my system in case I get all up and running this weekend, what programs will I require to fly with you durring the club multi and am I invited? I am currentlt running FS9 no addons of yet except ATC Edit, and aircraft waiting in my hard drive or Hangar as it where. I have a HS Internet connection as well. Thank you very much!

I am 25 yrs old, currently hold my PPL and working on my IFR ratting, I am a fairly competent pilot and love to Fly as often as I can, both real and Simulated. I am currently Saving up for my Real PPL as I am working as a 2nd yr Electrical apprentice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:44 pm 

Welcome Ryan. The multi flights are open to any CVA pilots. They take place on VATSIM, where the majority of us do our flying. Check out www.vatsim.net and click on the "new pilots start here" link. Once you've registered then you can go through the Pilot Resource Centre (PRC) at www.vatsim.net/prc. Since you are already a PPL you can probably skip a few sections of the PRC but pay attention to the Required Reading sections and the software setup sections.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:24 pm 

Ok thank you I appreciate that; however I am not currently a CVA pilot; would I still be welcomed to join you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:03 am 

Hi Ryan! Uhm im not too sure where CVA stands on that, but it really doesen`t take much to become a Pilot with us, everyone here is very helpfull and willing to help you get up to speed with activities here at CVA, plus being a pilot with us gives you access to the free beer! :laugh:

If forever reason your not interested in joining the VA i`ll let Management answer your question, but im sure we woulden`t mind :)

-Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:18 pm 

Hi Ryan ,

Are you a member of "Vatsim" ?

If you are , then you can certianly join us at any <span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>[color=blue]<span style='font-family:georgia'>CVA Multi Flight</span>
</span>. Just log on Vatsim and meet us on the tarmac at departure time. Text us and let us know who you are and we can even send you an invite to the <span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:georgia'>CVA private channel</span></span>. You would be most welcome.

FYI , Our multi flights are all flown as we are connected to the "Vatsim" servers and that is where most virtual airlines all connect together on your multiplayer connection in Flight Simulator. That is how we are all able to see each other , as well as members from other VA's , and also how we are able to communicate amongst ourselves and the air traffic controllers as well.
To get your Flight Simulator connected to the vatsim servers you must first download and install FSUIPC and either FSInn or Squawk-box.

There are a few "Ryan's " who are currently members of <span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:georgia'>CVA</span></span> but have no hours logged as of yet. Could you be one of them , if so , which one?
If not , I would suggest that you join a VA (like <span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:georgia'>Canadian Virtual Airlines</span></span>) before joining Vatsim , because that way you will have a call sign to use .

How far along are you now with all of this ?

If you need any help , there is lots of freindly folks here at <span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:georgia'>CVA</span></span> who would be happy to help you to get set up.
All you have to do is just " ASK " :)

<span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:georgia'>Good Luck !</span></span>[/color]

Edited By Marty CVA1974 on 1255041459

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:42 pm 

Well thank you very much for the warm welcome, yes I have just been going through the Vatsim Network registration process; lots of reading, I kinda skipped through most of the Regs, as they pertain to the meetings and commitees which I am not too concerned with at this time not to mention its 99 pages long lol. Just joined today and got my registration number and password. I won't be able to get into the shop this weekend however I should be able to do quite abit at home eventhough the snow is now flying. I have to build the back half of my panel, create a glare sheild/ dash board top, and paint. I am planning on installing FSInn as it seems to be partnered with Vatsim, just need to read the info and see if I like the interface; not a big one on the added weather screen at this stage but latter when I'm flying Transport or Commercial it will be a great bennefit. Alittle worried about joining you guys at Vatsim, not sure if I'm quite up to spec; once I get up and running again I'm gonna do some flying hopefully get my IFR then maybe do some hobby flights on Vatsim (VFR/IFR) to get control of myself withought having to keep up to you guys... then I'll join you; hopefully this process should only take two or three weeks all together. I'm trying to calm myself down and do everything right rather than rush through it and regret things. Well I'm off to the WWW lots of reading and pre flight as it were. Thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:56 pm 

Hey Ryan,

We'll welcome you to the multi-nights no matter your skill level. Why I think there was even a crash or two last night from a couple of our more seasoned pilots.

At the end of the day it's all about having some fun and chatting to each other while we fly to some great destinations.

P.S. Personally I prefer the FSInn over Squakbox but it's just a personal preference.

Image Image

What is that goat doing way up here in the clouds?
www.virtual-skies.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:19 am 

Yup, FSinn and SquawkBox both serve the same purpose. I prefer FSinn because it has a radar; very handy when online without ATC. The one thing SB has over FSinn is a player list of who is online on the company channel.

Another advantage with Fsinn is the chat panel, you can use UNICOM, COM1 and COM2 all at the same time. If I remember right, you have to use one of the COMs in SB to talk on UNICOM.

As far as I know, you can get the weather for any airport in SB. But in FSinn you automatically have Departure, Destination, Alternate and several nearby airports listed on one panel. It's real easy to get winds or altimeter reading at a glance. You an also get data for any airport if you wish.

The one downside to FSinn is the support forums, they are mostly in French. Your best bet is to search these forums and ask questions here, most of us have already encountered any problem you might have.

(UNICOM is the common channel everyone uses when no ATC is present)

HyperX Cloud II headset,
SAMSUNG SSD 850 EVO 250GB and 500GB,
EVGA Supernova G2 850W, CORSAIR Obsidian 750D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:36 pm 

...you can't talk in Unicomm. It's a text only channel. But you do have to tune it using a comm channel, just like any ATC frequency.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:40 pm 

You can broadcast voice on UNICOM. I do it all the time. Are you not supposed to. I use it for my advisories as it's so much easier than texting.

i.e. "CYVR traffic Canadian 102 turning base leg for Runway 26 left. Left traffic pattern. Will report final"

Image Image

What is that goat doing way up here in the clouds?
www.virtual-skies.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:07 pm 

You might not be allowed to broadcast voice on UNICOM (I'd have to check the rules, but I think I read that you are not allowed), but at least we get to keep both COM channels free for ATC in FSinn.

I often keep COM1 for main work, like Tower and Center, and keep COM2 for ATIS or listening in on anything else I'd like to monitor.

HyperX Cloud II headset,
SAMSUNG SSD 850 EVO 250GB and 500GB,
EVGA Supernova G2 850W, CORSAIR Obsidian 750D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:46 pm 

I just get a squawk sound if I try.

Here's what Norman Blackburn says about voice on unicom...

"FSInn ... can create a voice room for UNICOM. This however is a client, rather than VATSIM solution. XSB, SB2.x, 3.x and 4 do not support this feature.
If you wish to [use voice on unicom] then yes you can however there are limitations. They are:
1. Its a vanity thing. Don't expect others to hear or acknowledge your transmission.
2. You must also make your intentions know via text.
Until the appropriate technological solution is in place for all members feel free to use voice - as long as you also use text.
Norman
VATSIM VP, Conflict Resolution"

Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:22 pm 

CVA0102 wrote:
You can broadcast voice on UNICOM. I do it all the time. Are you not supposed to. I use it for my advisories as it's so much easier than texting.

i.e. "CYVR traffic Canadian 102 turning base leg for Runway 26 left. Left traffic pattern. Will report final"

Randy even though UNICOM can support voice, I think its only for text, I remember reading that somewhere in the VATSIM agreement rules thingy, I could be wrong though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:27 am 

When on unicom , I personally use text as a rule of thumb.
The reason I do this is because if I speak on unicom , everybody who is on unicom in the general area will hear my voice and they may not be anywhere near the airport where I am. They don't really have to know what my intentions are anyway. (I'm not really sure what the range of voice on unicom is )

I use ServInfo or FS Navigator (or similar programs ) to see if there is any other aircraft around , and if there is no aircraft in the area where I am flying to , I then don't even bother typing my intentions. I only text if there is another aircraft in the area that I think may conflict with my flight path.

To talk to company pilots when flying on Vatsim servers , I always use the private channel. This way we don't bother any pilots who may be entering our frequency range on unicom.

So , Rob Vanderkams post above , stating what [color=purple]Norman Blackburn , VATSIM VP
suggests , is well said.

Quote:
If you wish to [use voice on unicom] then yes you can however there are limitations. They are:
1. Its a vanity thing. Don't expect others to hear or acknowledge your transmission.
2. You must also make your intentions known via text.
Until the appropriate technological solution is in place for all members feel free to use voice - as long as you also use text.

:cool:[/color]

Edited By Marty CVA1974 on 1255135142

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ]