It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:52 pm

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:06 pm 

Hi,
What is the best Flight Level for a flight?
If I fly from Ottawa to Toronto using a Dash 8-Q200, at what altitude I should fly? I know that I have to fly an even altitude, but should I fly at FL250 or lower? It is a 2 hours flight.

Thank you.

Michel Lavigne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:24 pm 
Site Admin

Well, since your service ceiling is 25,000 ft and you have to fly at even thousands going west, you would be restricted to a maximum altitude of 24,000ft.

I have slips printed out and taped to my monitor of valid flight levels for direction of flight for quick reference. 0-179 degrees, odd thousands and 180-359, even thousands.

For VFR flight levels, the same applies but add 500 feet. There is also RVSM which is reduced vertical separation, but the above will keep you legal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:26 pm 

Looks like the maximum operating altitude for the Dash 8-200 is 25000 feet. So with minimal fuel and passengers you could theoretically fly at that altitude. Looking at some actual realworld flights I see that the Dash 8-400 (with maximum alt of 27000) typically cruises at 25000. So you could infer that typically you could get 23000 out of the Dash 8-200. But, I'm no expert so you don't have to listen to me :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:15 pm 

CVA0854 wrote:
I know that I have to fly an even altitude, but should I fly at FL250 or lower? It is a 2 hours flight.

Here is the COOLEST thing about the new website. When you select a flight (In example you left, it will be flight# 4030 CYYZ to CYOW), To the right are 3 links, View Details, Pilot Brief and Add to Bid.

If you click "Pilot Brief", you come to a new page with all sorts of nice info, but the place you really want to go, is just above the first map, Additional Information. Here is a link that says "View recent IFR routes Data".

Clicking this link takes you to Flightaware.com. It will list REAL WORLD FLIGHT PLANS that have been recently filed between YYZ and YOW.

Just look for the aircraft type you want to fly. I don't see a DHC8 listed today, but there is a B190/G, which is also a turbo prop.

Looking at this plane I can see that the route he filed was V98 YCF YCF067 and his filed altitude was 19,000'.

I use this feature on every flight I fly now to see how I should be filing. What better way to learn how to do something then look and see how the real pro's do it?

Weather links and other awesome information can also be found here. Use it, love it.

Awesome feature, thanks management!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:03 pm 

Hi Keith , this is very interesting information , thanks for sharing it with us.
I've only flown two scheduled flights with CVA so far and was wondering "what altitude level should I use?"
My solution was to input CVA flight info into the FS flight planner in order to obtain flight altitude info. and then I
filed a flight plan within FSNav using route information from CVA schedule details.
This is the method I have used (and it was accepted by CVA) so maybe I'll just keep using it but raise the altitude setting
as I gain more experience with my landings. lol

Note: For the CVA flight # 4098 - KMSP > CYQT , the FS flight planner gives me an altitude of 5ooo ft.
The FlightAware Pilot Resources IFR Route Analyzer shows 17000 ft. using a SF34/G aircraft.

Is the SF34/G similar to the B1900D ?

Also, would it be OK to fly the CVA scheduled flights several times using different aircraft?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]