It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:29 pm

Page 3 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:28 pm 

The official, preferred routes are usually alogn airways, VOR to VOR

(In fact, in re-reading about this I discovered that low-level airways, V (or "Victor") Airways are called that way beacuse they are Vor to Vor!)

This leads to an orderly, predictable flow of aircraft - very useful when traffic is busy - establish proper seperation at the start, and all the aircraft move along the airway in sync.

Due to the fact that these airways ARE VOR to VOR, they are not always the shortest route - therefore there is often an opportunity for a shortcut.

When traffic is quiet - shortcuts are usually easy, as there is no conflicting traffic. Pilots are usually (real world) looking for these - and as we discussed, online pilots often think differently.

In the real world, I have read accounts of shortcuts being offered, and accepted over several hundreds of miles, across 3 IFRs, involving coordination between all these FIRs. This rarely happens online - sometimes a coordination between neighbours, but not across 3 or 4 FIRs.

Last thing to remember, is the Pilot, although they must obey an ATC Instruction, can refuse a clearance and negotiate something acceptable. Remember if you don't want to do something, or more importantly cannot, use the magic word 'unable' and propose an alternative. ATC will usually comply, or work towards a solution that meets both needs.

At the weekend I had a Pilot going to CYUL request DCT MSS (which most departures were getting) rather than his filed GOPEV MSS, which I rejected with "Turn right DCT GOPEV for spacing" - ATC will always give a reason for rejecting. In this case there was an overflight on the same route, and I needed to delay the departure slightly to establish good spacing.

On the other hand I issued "Turn left DCT FNT on course" and the pilot replied "I would rather fly my filed route" which elicited the respont "RGR, turn right DCT ARTHR on course" and he went the long way around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:42 pm 

Sounds like fun Richard! I'd love to start ATCing but my NTU instructor has had computer problems and has yet to contact me for our first lesson, its been like 2 weeks, but oh well I'll wait I guess xD

All I want is to just start off at ground lol! I can be more patient for the other stuff :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:49 pm 

CVA1409 wrote:
(In fact, in re-reading about this I discovered that low-level airways, V (or "Victor") Airways are called that way beacuse they are Vor to Vor!)

Ha! Interesting tidbit.

CVA1409 wrote:
When traffic is quiet - shortcuts are usually easy, as there is no conflicting traffic. Pilots are usually (real world) looking for these - and as we discussed, online pilots often think differently.

And I'll bet that's because online pilots often aren't good at changing their flight plans midflight!

Page 3 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3