It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:06 am

Page 3 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:53 pm 

cva3906 · Posted on Mar. 12 2009,20:11
Quote:
You're running McAfee?

Yeah, and I really don't care much for it. The only reason is the guy who I bought this stuff from gave me McAfee free for one year. I have considered taking it out and going back to what I had on the old machine. Ya tinks,,, yaaa ?

Rob Vanderkam · Posted on Mar. 12 2009,20:33
Quote:
And dont' forget to do a system restore point every once in a while

Good idea Rob , I'll be doing that for sure. :cool:

Thanks !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:01 am 
Site Admin

If you do decide to remove McAfee, make sure you go to McAfee's site and download their removal tool. Trying to uninstall it from the control panel has caused many people grief through the years.

I will not allow McAfee on any of my computers. I went to buy a laptop a few years ago and one came with McAfee preloaded... and it stayed right there on the shelf.

Best bet for Anti virus is to tool on over to squawkbox.ca and check the forums for technical difficulties. If an anti virus product you are thinking of installing shows up too frequently, you may wish to reconsider.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:02 am 

I've just discovered something else here. :oops:

I think most of my problems were caused by my battery back-up file saver. I have a battery back up made by Energizer , which will shut down the computer safely if there should be a power failure. I activated this tonight and when I tried to test FS9 after installing an add-on, again I had some strange things happening . I disabled the file saver program and all was well again.

As for McAfee , I still don't care for the pop-ups that keep jumping out at me , whenever I'm trying to do something. ???

I will continue my quest tomorrow evening after I get home from work.

Have a great evening !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:08 am 

Heh, Ok, Chuck !

Looks like we posted these messages at the same time . :D

I think I will take your advice. I didn't know about their removal tool , so I'll check that out for sure.

Many THANKS !

<span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:100%'>[color=orange]<span style='font-family:georgia'>CHEERS !</span>
</span>[/color]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:51 am 

Marty CVA1974 wrote:
I've just discovered something else here. :oops:

I think most of my problems were caused by my battery back-up file saver. I have a battery back up made by Energizer , which will shut down the computer safely if there should be a power failure. I activated this tonight and when I tried to test FS9 after installing an add-on, again I had some strange things happening . I disabled the file saver program and all was well again.

As for McAfee , I still don't care for the pop-ups that keep jumping out at me , whenever I'm trying to do something. ???

I will continue my quest tomorrow evening after I get home from work.

Have a great evening !

Hmm, if that battery pack is acting up, it might be messing up with the voltage. The PC might continue to work but the ups and downs might mess up with vital functions (mobo, ram, cpu, etc).

Is it old? If yes, have you ever replaced the battery?

HyperX Cloud II headset,
SAMSUNG SSD 850 EVO 250GB and 500GB,
EVGA Supernova G2 850W, CORSAIR Obsidian 750D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:29 pm 

On the issue of anti-virus, I was a BitDefender user for a few years until recently when my wife's laptop started having problems. A friend downloaded the MS Windows Live OneCare program (without asking) and it picked up and fixed a virus right away. So I'm on a trial period with it. I know - I know - I hate the idea of a web delivered service and of a MS product (expect FS of course). If anyone has any comments, let em fly!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:36 pm 
Site Admin

Rob Vanderkam wrote:
On the issue of anti-virus, I was a BitDefender user for a few years until recently when my wife's laptop started having problems. A friend downloaded the MS Windows Live OneCare program (without asking) and it picked up and fixed a virus right away. So I'm on a trial period with it. I know - I know - I hate the idea of a web delivered service and of a MS product (expect FS of course). If anyone has any comments, let em fly!

The Live-One care product is a piece of crap in my opinion. Misses half of the stuff that it should, but it does catch a few things.

Seems most anti-virus packages that now have a suite attached to them are nothing but grief for more amateur users as I get calls all the time about stuff not working right.

Personally, I use a free version of AVG both at home and work. Works well for my needs and does not seem to interfere with things for the most part while doing the job. Best of all...its free :)

Cheers!

CVA7769

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:15 pm 
Site Admin

Another vote here for AVG Free. Been using it now for almost three years and only got tagged with a trojan once...and that was mostly my fault. Downloaded a zipped file from a questionable source and didn't scan it before I opened it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:23 am 

dburtch wrote:
So if i understand things correctly everything installs properly, the game just won't run because it doesn't recognize Disc 4?

Head on over to www.gamecopyworld.com (since you legally own a copy of FS2004 you can use this website).

There you can download the fs9.exe file that will allow you to run the game without having to use Disc 4. This is great when you play it a lot as it preserves the CD because you aren't using it.

Just did a quick check now on that site and there are 4 different downloads. Make sure you grab the "no-cd/fixed exe" for whatever version of FS2004 you are using. Version 1.0 is the game straight from the box and V 1.10 is with the Microsoft patch installed.

Danny - I tried this out and it works offline but I read this on the web site....

Some No-CD/Fixed EXE files work fine in Single Player mode but are detected to be modified when trying to play online. When this happens use the original EXE to play online, else you could find yourself banned from the game!

Then when I tried to run this while on VATSIM, I got disconnected with this error msg....

[ERROR] Error from server: unauthorized client software (16)

...so I guess I can't do without the CD when flying on VATSIM. Maybe I'll check out the VATSIM forums for more info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:40 am 

Rob Vanderkam wrote:
dburtch wrote:
So if i understand things correctly everything installs properly, the game just won't run because it doesn't recognize Disc 4?

Head on over to www.gamecopyworld.com (since you legally own a copy of FS2004 you can use this website).

There you can download the fs9.exe file that will allow you to run the game without having to use Disc 4. This is great when you play it a lot as it preserves the CD because you aren't using it.

Just did a quick check now on that site and there are 4 different downloads. Make sure you grab the "no-cd/fixed exe" for whatever version of FS2004 you are using. Version 1.0 is the game straight from the box and V 1.10 is with the Microsoft patch installed.

Danny - I tried this out and it works offline but I read this on the web site....

Some No-CD/Fixed EXE files work fine in Single Player mode but are detected to be modified when trying to play online. When this happens use the original EXE to play online, else you could find yourself banned from the game!

Then when I tried to run this while on VATSIM, I got disconnected with this error msg....

[ERROR] Error from server: unauthorized client software (16)

...so I guess I can't do without the CD when flying on VATSIM. Maybe I'll check out the VATSIM forums for more info.

I never thought of that. For some reason I just assumed that's what I did with mine... until I realized i have FSX which doesn't require the dvd to be in to play anyways.

But that website has saved me a few times when my game cds become unusable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:56 am 

At this latest update .... I got the boot after I switched back to the CD!

I was checking out this error message on the VATSIM forums and they had a rash of problems with it some time ago (I never had the problem) and now I'm having the problem!

Anyone else getting kicked off VATSIM with the "unauthorized client software" error?

edit - I think I'll take this to a new thread....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:12 am 

cva3906 · Posted on Mar. 12 2009,22:01
Quote:
If you do decide to remove McAfee, make sure you go to McAfee's site and download their removal tool.

I went looking for this removal tool you speak about , and I can't seem to find it. ???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:09 pm 
Site Admin

You are supposed to uninstall using the Control Panel Remove Software tool and then download this:

http://download.mcafee.com/product....CPR.exe

Run that after you have run the control panel uninstall and reboot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:15 pm 

Thanks Chuck,

I've uninstalled McAfee and used the uninstall tool as instructed. I have now installed my usual antivirus and now I'm busy installing sceneries and various favourite airplanes and stuff as my time schedule allows me. It seems almost like a never ending task :wow:

Things do seem to be coming together now though, thanks to the help efforts from all you guys.

I stayed up really late last night and managed to get FSacars as well as Squawk-box, and I did a test flight. All went well ! :thumbsup:

It seems I'll have to get used to flying with the sliders set up a little higher than I'm used to. Get ready for some wild landings !! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:52 am 

We'll want some pics!

Page 3 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3