It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:14 am

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:32 pm 

With all the talk of vasFMC over in the other topic, I thought I'd start a specific one over here. I've got vasFMC downloaded but I don't know how to sync it up with FSX. With FSInn I just go select it from the add-ons menu bar, but no such luck with vasFMC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:22 am 

I can only speak for FS9...

Run it as a seperate app - start from your desktop. It will even run without FS running, useful for programming etc..

TO integrate with FS9, click a button (bottom left corner, cannot remember what it is labelled) to sync the heading from the FMC with the heading bug on the autopilot. Then set autopilot to HDG mode, and off you go!

Can even hit ILD to NAV1, and the ILS for the approach programmed will be set in your radio for you. (Whcih got me in trouble when I moved to the PMDG, which does not do this!)

I'm assuming the above will work for FSX as well...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:13 pm 

Probably will work with FSX as well...does this mean that you have to run the sim in windowed mode so you can see the FMC or can you get it to show up in full screen mode?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:19 pm 

I was looking at the FMS Navdata product for my LDS763 and noted that the free download of navigation data did not contain terminal procedures (SIDs, STARs, approaches, etc), but that vasFMC does! Bonus!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:24 am 

Yeah but the appeal of vasFMC is that it's free, whereas you have to buy the navdata updates...(this is a poor student talking..)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:18 pm 

I don't actually. I still don't know what the difference is between the so-called outdated ones and teh up-to-date ones and I don't want to know! :D Until then, I'm quite happy using the free versions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:47 pm 

unless I couldn't find the right one to download online, the only SID/STAR's that came with the vasFMC package was a handful of airports in Europe. Maybe there are more out there I'm not seeing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:03 am 

well, no wonder they're free!

I hope you do find more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:23 pm 
Site Admin

If you have FS2004 installed as well as FSNavigator, the vasFMC comes with a converter that will convert the FSNav Sid Star database for use with the vasFMC. You have to move the ssmaker.exe into the folder that has all the SS files for FSNav and start the converter. It will create a Sid Folder and a Star folder that can then be copied to the NavData folder of vasFMC. There is some talk about the Flight 1 ATR Sid Stars but I am unsure at this point if there are fully compatable. Looking at them, they will be of no help in North America anyways since they only seem to have European airports.

Hope this helps a bit. If you do not have FS2004 and FSNav, give me a shout and I can crunch them up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:59 pm 

I use FSX and don't have FS nav so won't help me too much right now. I did fly last night using vasFMC with ATC online and it was definitely easy to add a waypoint at the instruction of the controller, so that was good. I almost got used to the windowed mode as well, and even though I couldn't hear the airplane noise while I was on another window, I could hear the controller so I didn't miss any calls.

Also had a little chat with Rob, who was trying to explain to me how to start a private text conversation. He uses SB3, but I use FSInn and I was wondering if anyone knew how to initiate private conversation when I see fellow CVA'ers online!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:38 pm 

Just type .msg then the callsign in the chat window (doesn't matter if it's in COMM1, COMM2 or Unicom tabs) then a new chat window will open up with that particular callsign.
Easy as pie! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:27 pm 

I may have to rescind my comments about not liking vasFMC due to the windowed mode restrictions. I was flying a couple of routes today and i noticed that since I'm in windowed mode, I can pull up my Jepessen simcharts application and not waste paper. Plus it tracks my plane across the chart as I go! very impressed with that...I'll probably be sticking with windowed mode for awhile now...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:37 pm 

Sounds like you need a second monitor more than anything else. :)

If you're around Ottawa I can give you one for $10 or so which is just like my own second monitor (CRT 15"). Oh wait, you're out on the west coast. Oh well. I guess it would be easier to find one locally. I highly recommend it. In fact, we should have a poll that asks how many people have it. I'm guessing 75%.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:31 am 

I have an aversion to a second monitor solely for the 'geek factor'...lol I've never seen the need for one until i try to fit multiple gagues and panels on one screen:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:26 pm 

I used to be like you, thinking the 2nd monitor was only for the "geeks" but it's an investment you will definitely be happy with. (and with two monitors you can do everyday computer stuff twice as fast :P)

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ]