It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:57 am

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:23 pm 

There is a bug in Microsoft that causes some antivirus software to block the incoming multiplayer connection. AVG is one that is affected by this.

This is taken from the Vatsim forums:

I'm one of those users that have had serious compatibility problems with my antivirus and SquawkBox in Vista - all multiplayer traffic has been invisible to me.

The problem seem to be related to the Windows Common Firewall Driver (CFD), which many antiviruses seem to rely on. I use Trend Micro, but have seen similar reports from users of other antivirus products.

After over six months of correspondence with the Trend Micro support, including network sniffing and debug logging I got a reference to this hotfix (KB961775) from Microsoft, which seem to have fixed the problem for me:

http://support.microsoft.com/hotfix....n=en-us

Looks like it's not the antivirus vendors that are to blame in this case, but rather a bug in Microsoft CFD.

Make sure to click the link "Show hotfixes for all platforms and languages" if your system is not auto detected.

I hope this helps - it sure helped me and I can now fly online without having to uninstall the antivirus or disable the firewall driver in the device manager.

Post a note here and spread the word it works for you too!

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:56 pm 

The last few months I have had that problem as well, except using XP. I would only see probably 1 out of every 5 other people online. That was using AVG, and SB4. Now I am running Norton 2009 and FSINN, so gonna see how that works out for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:25 pm 

I can not find were to install this fix.. It just wants to put it in C: . any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:44 pm 

when you go to download it, it will want to know where to extract the installer to. Purhaps that will be simply c: Personally, I installed to d:\hotfix (I created the hotfix directory).

Once saved, you should see the file Windows6.0-KB961775-x86.msu in the folder you extracted to. Simply execute the file and the hotfix is installed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:36 pm 

Get the new Windows 7 the issue is not there anymore I am running the release copy and FS9 and FSX both allow me to see other players, and Copilot lets me connect to Vatsim and Lobby no problem anymore, great new Operating System www.Staples.com Site has a limited number of copys at $64 (reg $149 I think)if you hurry being shipped July 14th

Oh by the way I use AVAST and was having the problem tried AVG same thing on Vista Still using AVAST no problem now.

While you can

Burt Dykeman

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]