It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:12 am

All times are UTC

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:57 am 

Hi everyone,

I'd like to know if other people had the same weird things happening to them when they are flying the Dash8-Q400.

Last flight on Vatsim, I ran out of fuel and managed to glide and land at CYHU rather than YUL but this is the second time tihs happen to me using this plane. I had added 15% more fuel then what FSX Navlog recommends which was considerable since I flew from Sept-iles. So is there a problem with the fuel comsumption rate or I am just flying the DH8 too fast and just burning it. I cruised at 220-240.

Other than this, can someone explain me how the Airspeed hold switch is supposed to work since it doesn't seem to hold it at the set speed but 20-30kt slower and isn't constant at all either.

Till then I'll fly as much to move up to class 2 asap but the dash8 is a great plane.

thanks for any help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:24 pm 

What height are you cursing at? flying at 11000 feet will consume a lot more fuel then flying at 19000 feet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 1:13 am 

Hi Stephane,

The Dash 8 has always been known to fly it with one hand on the throttles at all times as far as I know.
The auto throttle has never worked for me either. I have always flown the PSS Dash-8 , but I think all the versions are like this.

Actually I've become quite used to flying this way as it is a good habit to keep an eye on your airspeed indicator anyhow. Great fun when landing . :;):

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 7:41 pm 

I haven't flown the Q400 much but in general, Dash 8's don't have autothrottle (or spoilers). They use flaps and prop pitch to slow down, and it's good practice to ease back the throttles for a while before starting a decent. What are your settings for the condition levers? They should be full power (ctrl)(F4) for take-off and then eased back with (ctrl)(F2) to about 80-90% when cruising and descending. You can take them back to full during approach to get full power with low throttle to help cut speed.

I'm not sure if this is all modeled on our Q400, but if it is, the condition lever settings could be part of the increased fuel consumption, since they control the engine RPM's.

Just a guess, hope I could help.

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 8:34 pm 

Hi Barry,

I've always use spoilers with the Dash 8. I'm not really sure about in real life , but I've always assumed there is spoilers on a Dash 8 because if you hit your forward slash button " / " (that's the one with the question mark) and you get outside view and look at the wings , you will see the spoilers go up and you just press the button again to retract. I've been using it for years. :) I just figured they didn't show the switch on the panel but it must exist in the real airplane.

When I fly the Dash 8 I do use full throttle to climb and once I'm at level flight (cruise) I try to equalize out the "engine torque" and the "engine RPM " by watching the engine torque gauges and the RPM gauges and adjusting them with the throttle on my joystick and the condition levers (with my mouse).
Once I have a smooth cruising speed set I can usually let it go a long way without any overspeed , but you do have to keep an eye on it and re-adjusting them as it does tend to slow down or speed up occasionally. You are right , it's usually between 80 and 90% on the gauges. I just try to keep the four needles (gauges) pointing in the same direction.

When decending if you want to slow it down you must remember to keep the condition levers all the way up in order to get the response of slowing down , because with these pulled down a little you are just feathering the props.
With the props totally unfeathered you will get the most slowing power from the props when you pull back on the throttles.

Then when you have all the passengers in the cockpit with you , you will know that your props are slowing you down really good. :D :;):

It's a great thing to fly !

:cool:

Edited By Marty CVA1974 on 1272746139

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 11:41 am 

Thanks every one,

I've did some more test and it was pilot error on the fuel issue. Just to fast, that's all. I double checked it during a flight and it is fine. On the Q300 it is easy to monitor with the digital fuel flow indicator. Like I said, since I carried 15% more fuel, it was easy to burn it all! I can say the Q400 is a nice glider!

But I can't explain the airspeed hold still, I tought it might be using ground speed reference rather than the IAS (just a tought). On the Q300 it is not an issue either.

Cheers

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]