It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:26 pm

All times are UTC

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:53 pm 

I've noticed this before but never got around to mentioning it 'til now. The fuel gauges on my copy of the 737-800 I downloaded from the CVA site are wonky. I have made a few examples here for you to peruse, but I couldn't replicate what happened last night. I still had 16,000 lbs of fuel on board but the gauges read zero.

The fuel readout displayed below my top panel is a very accurate in flight refueling program. It reads what's actually in the plane... not like the dash panel gauges. This way you can see the discrepancy. I have often called up this program to see what is actually in this particular plane while flying, as I've seen the zero fuel situation almost every time I've flown it. It's not that I'm out of fuel, but the gauge reads zero with significant fuel in the tanks.

I've only used it to refuel on a company flight once. It was either that or land on a grass strip so I called in the tanker. I take some pride in my fuel calculations so this is not something I'm proud of using in that capacity.

On a side note, they did read correctly when I first loaded the plane. However after changing the fuel load either with the FS9 menu or with FSPax, it reads erroneously. Ack, that word is too big for me. :p

It's possible that this problem has been fixed... I just don't remember reading about it. Let me know.

Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:13 pm 
Site Admin

Unfortunately the default 737 panel only shows two fuel tanks. The 737-800 we use has all three tanks defined. As you picked up, the values on the gauges are always less than actual due to this fact.

If you are adventuresome, you could try your hand at replacing the panel. There is a payware 2D panel that was released as freeware on Avsim. It is fairly decent, a step above the default for sure.

http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=106129

If you do get it installed, when you load the aircraft, it may seem like FS is about to crash...the gauges can take up to 30 seconds to load when you select the aircraft.

If you have any issues, let us know, we will be happy to help out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:56 pm 

Thanks for the heads up on that panel Chuck! Wow, does it ever look cool! I've just fired up the simulator after installing it and am currently going over the manual with everything shut down. I think I'll need some instructor time to get re-type rated! :D

So far no glitches, I'll let you know if I run into any. :cool:

This looks very similar to a panel I have in a 737-200 that I really enjoyed. I mean that the style is similar, maybe it was produced by the same group.

Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:52 pm 
Site Admin

Actually, PS Panels also released there 737 "Steam Gauge" panel as well so it could indeed be their panel.

Almost forgot to mention....I believe this panel also works in FSX.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:23 am 

cva3906 wrote:
Actually, PS Panels also released there 737 "Steam Gauge" panel as well so it could indeed be their panel.

:D That's funny! "Steam Gauge!"

Since my bird got all shot up and was being refurbished I thought the new panel ought to be installed too. Here I am flying out of MTPP on a short shakedown flight. I have to figure out what's wrong with the fuel management system to get rid of the light that's showing on the annunciator panel, but everything else seems pretty cool.

This new panel has a map function, but I didn't see a gps button anywhere. Looks like I'll have to do flight planning the proper way now. :laugh:

I like it! :cool:

Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:42 am 

Here's that 737-200 panel I have. And now that I think about it, what 737-200 has CRTs? It should all be dial instruments.

The drop down panels are very similar to the NG737 panel that I just installed.

Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:08 am 
Site Admin

The fuel problem is likely due to the fact that you have no fuel in your wing tanks. Try shutting off the pumps in the wing tanks and see if the light goes out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:37 pm 

Good point! That WAS the problem. Just started up and all lights are out. Time for work, off I go!

Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:39 pm 

Oh man, I wanted to hold out on buying add-on for another month but you're killing me with those pics. I hope Cal won't jump in with some from the Level-D. :D

HyperX Cloud II headset,
SAMSUNG SSD 850 EVO 250GB and 500GB,
EVGA Supernova G2 850W, CORSAIR Obsidian 750D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:04 pm 

CVA8037 wrote:

This one is freeware now Robert! Whee! :laugh: :thumbsup: :;):

Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:02 am 

If thats freeware, where can I get it, and whats the difference between this panel and the standard 737 panel?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:49 pm 
Site Admin

DAMN!!! That's a nice panel - I may have to look into it when I get a free moment (should be sometime in 2012 at this rate).

:thumbsup:

Cheers!

CVA7769

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:04 am 

mattymsboi wrote:
If thats freeware, where can I get it, and whats the difference between this panel and the standard 737 panel?

Look for the link in Chuck Dickey's first reply to me at the beginning of the post.

What's the difference? It's stinkin' awesome, where the original was...not. This one actually gives you a read out on all three fuel tanks, the original only looks at two. It's got a very cool overhead panel, you manage electrical system, fuel system, and a bunch of other stuff (I'm tired now, no brain power). Once you practice start up a few times it's almost as fast as the old 'Ctrl-E' but way cooler. :cool:

The only thing I didn't figure out was how to go direct to a waypoint on the gps. You have a moving map feature there, but I can't program it except by going to 'Flight Planner' and manually entering waypoints by finding them on the wimpy little map that comes with FS9. You could download flight plans from Simroutes or use the ones that FS comes up with, either way. I do this before starting up, because using this way pauses flight sim. Not cool online in the air! Maybe someone else who uses this panel can help out. It's minor problem compared to the improvement. Maybe I can assign a key to bring up the 'old GPS'. Like I said, I'm tired and can't think straight right now. :ghostface: Can I do that?

I'll post a few more pics later, must run out the door now.

Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:58 am 

Hey Paul. I don't know about the panel but as far as flight sim pausing when you switch tasks ( I know you use FS9 so I don't know if it's the same but) if you go to general settings there's a box that says pause on task (In FSX there is anyways). If you "uncheck" this box, you can browse your internet or open any other program without pausing your flight sim. You do of course have to switch to windowed mode instead of full screen to do this. Let me know if this works in FS9.

Image Image

What is that goat doing way up here in the clouds?
www.virtual-skies.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:12 am 

Oh yeah, works fine. It's when you pull down a menu WITHIN fs that it pauses. I task switch all the time looking up approach plates, weather and other goodies.

Image Image

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next