It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:29 pm

All times are UTC

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:31 pm 

the discussion regards updating and modernizing the CVA fleet got me thinking about a few issues

I am planning on authoring a CVA Pilots Handbook for DH8 operations - call it Company Procedures or, to use a Canadian Forces acronym, AOI - Aircraft Operating Instructions.

My idea involves interested and motivated CVAviators following a similar process for each aircraft type we fly. Now I realize there will always be those that wish to fly 'off the wall' types (consider AN225s for cargo, DC9s for domestic etc) but we could establish common CVA types and set up small 3-4 page pdf documents detailing normal operating procedures.

Examples

regional turboprop
DH8-100 (dreamwings design)
DH8-300 (PSS and frolov design
DH8-400 (dreamwings design)

domestic airliner
CRJ-200 (posky and Wilco design)
B737-200 (FFX design)
B737-700 (PMDG and Kittyhawk design)
A319/320/321 (project airbus and PSS design)

transcontinental airliner
B757-200 (posky design)
B767-300 (posky and PIC/LDS design)
A330-300 (posky design)

cargo
B727-200 (SGA and captainsim design)
MD11 (ifdg design)

transoceanic airliner
B747-400 (posky design)
B777-200 (meljet design)
A340-200 (aerodesigns model)

Now these types are only as examples and off the top of my head. Chief pilots or teams could be established for each type and provide recommendations on the absolute best payware and freeware models of each type. They would also detail the best available panel and sound packages. CVAAE would then only be required to repaint the models into the CVA liverys. As new models are released from freeware/payware designers - they could be reviewed and see if they would be a valuable addition to the CVA fleet.

The aircraft operating instructions could provide instructions on where to find the models/panels/sound packages for each type. Also - with the myriad of information available on the net -- fuel planning, climb/descent speed charts, checklists and other valuable info could be collected and made available in one location for CVA pilots.

I plan to have a rough draft of the initial DH8 AOIs available soon for the DH8-300 utilizing the PSS/Frolov suite. This could be used as a template for the development of AOIs for the other CVA aircraft types.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:54 pm 

Sure looking forward to looking at this great work, Ken!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:41 pm 
Site Admin

Great minds think alike Ken - I was just putting our wee one to bed, and thought of the same thing...

Yes, this is a very good idea, if we can get members to step forward and take on the task of putting information together (and then onto the web) for each aircraft type. The members may be able to HOST the pages on their personal website, and then we would simple LINK from the main page... allowing the individual members to update at will.

Perhaps members can respond to this thread if they want and can do the work (in cooperation with CVAAE) to put together an AOM.

CAVEAT: We need to make sure we are all on the same page with this - supporting SPECIFIC models that have been tested and approved by CVAAE. Slow & steady wins the race guys - there is a renewed energy bubbling right now: let's make sure we aren't biting off more than we can chew.

I propose that we/you/members identify the models that are currently stable, and ready for AOM-ing... then the members that have expressed interest in doing the work, may be given the green light to continue.

Will you head this up Ken, or get another member who can work with you (under the auspicious of the TRAINING / ACADEMY department?)?

PS It goes without saying that I have dibs on the PIC/LDS 763!

Edited By DS on 1104871474

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:51 pm 

I have no problem heading this up Daryl

I do need to know exactly what our fleet composition will be -- perhaps this is something that can be hammered out in a management area discussion over the next few weeks. I tend to favour a smaller fleet.

I can also offer to host the pdf AOI files on my own server and link to them from the academy pages

I agree - it is a new, enthusiastic CVA and hopefully this wave will continue - I did have you pencilled in as our B767 expert

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:27 pm 
I'll tag along on this one as well gents. Send me a copy of the format and let me know which aircraft you would like me to work on. :cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:31 pm 

hey Tom - you nominated the B1900 - guess what you're getting <g>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:49 pm 
Ddoooooooh! :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:17 am 
I know I speak for a couple of us but the ATR72-500 is also a great choice for props. Of course I prefer props over my head than in front but I am willing to bend a wing now and then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:43 am 

I can take on the AFG PC-12 for starters...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:09 am 

you got it Keith <g>

as to the ATR - it's not a bad airframe for a eurotrash DH8 wannabe that can't fly in ice <big g>

this is an open forum - feel free to nominate the aircraft of your choice but please define a model for 2002/2004 so we can evaluate the flight model. We only want to incorporate the best of available freeware/payware designs into the fleet. As well - don't think we want several aircraft that are of a similar design/pax load/range. Know there's an excellent payware ATR but haven't heard of a good freeware.

The goal is to make a leaner meaner fleet that has the best of various types -- ie regional turboprop - domestic small jetliner - intercontinental - transoceanic - cargo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:39 pm 
I also like the Citation X from Eaglesoft, took it out for flight yesterday, FL400 at 512 kts to Montreal. The ATR72-500 is a payware one also from FLight One. I tried to fly the 767 300 but I stalled it at FL120, I guess it just doesn't have enough power............... LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:51 pm 

Has any one looked at the F10070v2 and they have just added a new file update for the F70-620 and the F100-620 and F100-650, I think they would work well for are Caro fleet.with all files there on there web page and she a dream to fly.< http://fokker.avsim.net/ > I think she would make a fleet proud!

Wayne C
CVA100

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:47 pm 

yes indeed - Wayne - the F100 is on our short list to be added to the regional jet fleet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:28 am 
My two cents worth:

Considering you don't have the C-130 listed for Cargo, I nominate the CV-10T CARGOBRONC FS2002 and FS2004.

For those who like Virtual cockpits it has it, For those who like opening and closing the doors you can open the pilot'sm the cargo door does go down. Flies good.

The Embreaer 110P is a nice plane to start out in for 2004, Also has virtual cockpit and for you weirdos windshield wipers hehe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:43 am 

is the Fokker 100 confirmed for the new fleet?

This bird is a hoot to fly - and the avionics are pretty well done for a freeware job.

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next