It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:32 am

All times are UTC

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:09 pm 

Well, by radio, I mean that even the FMC uses the radios. Which means it tunes in the radio at the next VOR (VeryhighfreqOmnidirectionalRadiobeacon). If it uses latlong, then I am wrong, and radios only need to be used when you don't use GPS or FMC. But that still applies to your question I think. so....

Radio navigation, flying VOR to VOR is way cool. You just tune the next VOR into your NAV (not your Comm) radio and your EHSI will "point" to it. I assume you are familiar with the VOR display, where the arrow points to the radial of a VOR and the offset of the arrow tells you which side (and how much) you are away from that radial).

The iamge below is taken from the LDS manual (page number depends on paper or PDF).

More to follow.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:16 pm 

So if you want to navigate to a VOR, you have to

- tune in to the VOR frequency for your NAV 1 radio (some a/c can choose two different displays, one for each NAV radio)
- turn the VOR dial/arrow until the arrow offset is 0. The arrow is now pointing to or from the VOR (eg is you are S of teh VOR, it will point TO the VOR on 360 degrees but point away from the VOR on 180 degrees - you have to decide which you want, so keep spinning that arrow until it's correct). Then turn your aircraft to that heading and you will fly to and pass the VOR (at which piont the arrow will spin 180 degrees and point the other way). (Wind is a factor too. No wind - just lfy to the VOR. Lots of wind and you'll note that you have to adjust your heading appropriately).

Is that what you wanted to know?

This arrow offset thing is the same thing used by the ILS.

You'll find a nice bunch of lessons here http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/index.htm

Any errors in here are mine. Someone please correct me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:37 pm 

Ok, I flew my flight today with the new panel, (the one Chuck described on how to download) and it went ok, Im guessing what I want is a FMC, which this panel doesen't have, but I managed to fly my arrival chart with the VORS and do a smooth ILS landing all without a hitch. Now I guess i'll have to learn how to use the FMC when I switch to the 747!

By the way, is there anyway I can just use the Ifly's panel and stick it in my CVA 747? Unless re-painting my Ifly to CVA colours is easy, I'll need to figure out how to get a freeware panel thats better than the standard FSX 747 panel

Thanks for your Help Rob, I woulden't have been able to get the plane back on the ground without you :)

Also thanks to Chuck for helping me install the panel! And thanks to any1 else that I haven't mentioned, you guys all rock! :thumbsup:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:51 pm 

That's a fine explanation of radio navigation, and radio nav IS way cool. :cool:

I understand (I think) that Matt is asking if the display on this panel that looks like GPS can be used like one. It works great if you create a flight plan, or import one from say simroutes. Unless the ATC wants to ammend your flight plan after you've got it all up and running. There is no way to program it after you've started up unless you want to go into the FS menus and adjust your flight plan using the crummy little map that comes with FS. If you have no idea where this waypoint is it can take a long time to find it.

I have just downloaded a small program called simple fmc from avsim. I'm trying it out tonight on a full flight. You punch in your waypoints, connect to FS and you're off. It is a stand alone program that connects to your fs by Peter Dawson's FUSIPC which we all have anyway. Cool part is that it runs off of the heading hold switch instead of nav. So if they mess you up in the sky you can flash this up, program it quick and switch over to heading hold and it'll take over, or you could use it exclusively. Anyway, I'll let you know how it works.

If this doesn't make sense, it's cause I have a cold and can't think. :p

Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:58 am 

Pretty slick, this thing works as advertised. Too bad it wasn't incorporated into the panel, but this little program is cool. Very easy. I like it. Changed waypoints on the fly no problem.

Just leaving NY centre's airspace on the way to KMIA. I see Matt landed there just as I was taking off. Hopefully he'll have chased the cockroaches out of the company hotel room by the time I get there. :D

Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:15 am 

Hey Paul,

Do you have a link for that simple FMC on AVSIM. I couldn't find it. When I searched "simple FMC" it found 112 pages and I didn't have time to sift through them all. ???

Image Image

What is that goat doing way up here in the clouds?
www.virtual-skies.com

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2