It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:55 am

All times are UTC

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:18 pm 
Howdy folks,

I've been lurking for a while, but I had to get your opinions.

What can you tell me about the new Dreamwings Dash-8 400?

I have the PSS Dash-8 and while it's a visually superb model, the sound really turned me off.

I have the Frovlov Dash-8 and while graphically not the best model, the sound is magnificent. The panel is pretty #### good too.

What's the middle ground for this new model?

Thanks for your opinions,

- Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:03 pm 
Steve, I've been flying the Dreamwings Dash 8-400 for a few weeks now. Visually it's quite good, the sound isn't bad and the handling seems pretty good to me, untrained amateur that I am. So far I like. It's not a PSS or Frolov, but it is freeware.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:08 pm 
One of the big things for me with the Frovlov is the fact that you can reverse the props into Beta and the sound is magnificent when you do that. Does the Dreamwings do this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:14 pm 
No, you can reverse the props, but not with the same effect as Frolov. As an aside, I noticed on Avsim or Flightsim, can't remember which, there is a patch out which will allow you to use the Frolov panel with the Dreamwings Dash. Like I said, it ain't bad, but it's freeware so not quite at the same level as the PSS or Frolov products.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:27 pm 
I wonder if it will allow the use of the Frovlov panel AND sounds with the Dreamwings aircraft model?

Time to do some reading...

Thanks for the help, and all other opinions and comments welcome!

- Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:09 pm 

Steve Hooper wrote:
I wonder if it will allow the use of the Frovlov panel AND sounds with the Dreamwings aircraft model?

Time to do some reading...

Thanks for the help, and all other opinions and comments welcome!

- Steve

Couple of things:

1) Frolov's sounds are dependant on the panel. In other words, if you're using the Fanda panel, you're also using the Fanda sounds.

2) Yes you can use Frolov's panel with the Dreamwings bird. Takes some work to set it up right, but it can certainly be done. I use Frolov's panel with PSS's model all the time.

Let me look at the aforementioned fix at Avsim and see if it's up to snuff. If so, I'll let you's all know. If not, I'll tweek it a bit to make it work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:48 pm 
If anyone can get the Frolov panel to work properly with the Dreamwings Dash, it's Keith. Just don't let him tell you he's got one painted up in CVA colours!???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:44 pm 
Site Admin

Getting back to the Dreamwings model, try this out for giggles. Go into your realism settings and select unlimited fuel, then into the fuel settings and set it with no fuel and go fly. On my computer, anyway, the darned thing is half hot air balloon. Take off roll of about ten feet, stall speed of about two knots! :laugh: :laugh:
Awful hard to land though! I was having a problem with another model and for some reason had selected unlimited fuel. Later that week, tried flying the Dreamwings Dash with minimal fuel and came across this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:54 am 

Leonardo Fontana has released an updated FDE and aircraft.cfg file to merge the Dreamwings Q400 with Frolov's Dash 8. I've given it a very quick try, and so far so good. Download "dw_dash8_fdes.zip" from the Avsim file library and follow the enclosed instructions.

If I find any issues, I'll post them here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:31 am 

Ok, a few points now that I have put a few miles on the Dreamwings/Fanda merge...

1) Warning to you 'ole 300 drivers. The 400 is considerably longer. Watch your rotation attitude, lest you leave paint from the tail on the asphalt. (A rumor I heard somewhere... )

2) While the merge does work, it's not at all perfect. The problems arrise due to the fact that Frolov's custom gauges are specific to the 300 series, and it's PW123B engines. The more powerful PW150A's that are modelled on the 400 cause deviations in the torque and prop RPM gauges.

3) You'll get an overspeed warning too soon. The 400 should be able to cruise at a higher speed then the 300, but the overspeed warning, tied to the airspeed gauge, still reflects the smaller planes speed.

4) The fuel gauges are no where close to accurate.

5) The engines go into "flight-idle" too soon on the 400, and WILL go into the beta range whilst in flight. This means you can't really use those big 6 bladed r408's to bite the air and slow you down like you can with the 300. Again, this is a function of Frolov's customized gauge set.

There are some other, nit-picky things too, but I'm not going to go to deep here...

So yes, the merge does work. But if you've spent any time with the original plane (thus getting used to flying it "by-the-numbers") you're going to find alot of things that just aren't right.

I'll be awaiting Frolov's custom Q400 before moving up...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:05 pm 

Tom McCall wrote:
If anyone can get the Frolov panel to work properly with the Dreamwings Dash, it's Keith. Just don't let him tell you he's got one painted up in CVA colours!???

Now you all do.

C-GCKH (KH for Keith Henery)

Enjoy!

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:37 pm 
Thanks Bill - you nice man :cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:45 pm 

Bill, have I told you lately how much I love you?

Woo Hoo!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:39 pm 

Yes Keith you did, last night while slipping your tounge into my ear. Your welcome. :angry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:20 am 

Thanks, Bill!

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next