Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:24 pm 
Site Admin

January 1, 2005

CVA NEWS RELEASE

Please welcome
Chief Instrument Check Pilot
[color=navy]<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>Ken Greenwood (CVA844)</span>

CVA Aviation Academy
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>(CVAAA or CVA3?)</span>

Continuing in the CVA tradition that was developed by Russ Martin & Keane Marshall (and Steve Cos and Colin McCallister) more than 5 years ago, Ken Greenwood has offered to head up a reinvigorated academy that will allow members to enhance their piloting skills. Aircraft specific modules will be developed to assist our pilots to become more skilled than the average simmer... well, Canadian-simmer, at any rate.

More news to come directly from the Aviation Academy <span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>(CVAAA or CVA3 or TBA)</span>, but I would like to take this opportunity to salute Ken Greenwood (our immediate Past President, and past H/C/founder of the Halifax hub), for heading up this initiative, and to thank him for his sustained contribution to CVA.

The members of CVA salute you: thanks Ken![/color]

Edited By DS on 1104736784

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:55 pm 

thanks DS

training module status for the DH8 is almost complete - will require a few 'test pilots' to run through the flights

as of now there are 6 flights

basic VFR aircraft handling
advanced VFR aircraft handling
IFR #1 SIDs and non precision approaches
IFR #2 STARs and precision approaches
IFR #3 holding
emergency procedures

each flight contains maneuvers that take about 45-60 mins to complete and are based at Portage la Prairie. Our goal is to have similar modules for the CRJ and B767 in the near future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:18 pm 

Ken, I can offer myself for test pilot on any of your modules. I'll gladly go through them.

Rotor head I am not, so that one will have to go to someone else.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:19 pm 
Ken,

Since I fly the '8 a lot I could help out too if you wish.

Cheers Rod

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:28 pm 
I'll give a couple of them a go. Send me an email if ya still need testers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:31 pm 
Ken, count me in - love the '8.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:48 pm 

Hi Ken, is there any way we can have a hold night. Them #### things are my biggest fear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:09 pm 

the first set of modules is complete (DH8-300 in draft form) and ready for test flights from my volunteer team

CVA116 - Jonathan Bjornson
CVA303 - Bill van Caulart
CVA6111 - Rod Thompson
CVA163 - Ron Yan
CVA39 - Tom McCall

If these intrepid aviators could send me an email with thier current address zedex@nbnet.nb.ca I will send them the zipped package (1.4mb)
If the size of the file becomes an email transfer problem - I will look at providing a link to download it until the CVA academy has it's own site.

Gentlemen - please be frank in your critique - whether it's boring, not quite what we might need, or the maneuvers are not right. Also any spelling, grammar and other issues that I can fix up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:58 pm 
Gave the first one a try, some tips for you guys when you try it.
1. Be sure to print out the lesson I'd hate to see someone try to switch back and forth between word and FS. Printing out the Aerodrome chart for the first lesson, I got lost on my way to 31L :lol:
2. READ IT! over and over and over again. Think about it before you do it, I messed up a part where I was supposed to climb, and turn during the climb, unfourtunately I saw that part just as I was levelling.
3. Get a plane that won't bust on ya :P I didn't install my PSS Dash into FS9 as it had compatibility issues in the past, so I used the Dreamwings one (the 737 panel didnt help either, hehe). On the T 'n' G, my nose gear collapsed and when I came in for the final landing, I 'Henry'ed' it.

Couple of recommendations for Ken.
The only issue I can think of now is the fact that the lessons are currently in .doc format. I have MS word, but I'm sure somewhere down the line, one of our pilots is gonna say "I can't open it!!!!!!!!!!!!!", I'd recommend saving them as an html file, so anyone with an internet browser will be able to open it.

I'll give this first lesson a try again with a decent panel, but overall it is terrific. Hopefully some of the aircraft issues will work themselves out. (I couldnt achieve a -1500fpm descent @ 200kias)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:32 pm 
Hi all,

Just completed the first flight, emailed Ken with my thoughts so I won't put too much in here. For those of you waiting for these flights, you will find them challenging.

Well done Ken, believe that the final docs should be html as well, but feel that was the plan all along!

Looking forward to trying the other flights out ASAP!

For the descent, think of THROTTLE CONTROL!!!! Hint Hint... :) Further hint, you are already trimmed out for 200 knots, what would set the descent rate? Only one thing!!!! :)

Cheers Rod

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:54 pm 
If you want when all the Docs are done I can put them into PDF format.

Alyn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:09 am 

Knock off with the hints guys!!!! Your spoiling the fun!!!!
Give it to me!! Give it to me!! Give it to me !!
Dale (CVA1050)

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]