Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Multi 4 October 2014
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:06 pm 
Site Admin

http://canadianva.com/phpvms/index.php/News/item/110

It is posted, Back on the PANAM (Reverse) Trail

Post subject: Re: Multi 4 October 2014
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:21 pm 

Going to try to be there tonight and hopefully FSX doesn't crash on me again. Fond memories of Peru, Ecuador and Columbia. Winter of 79-80 went from Baranquilla, Columbia to Rio by vehicle traveling through Columbia, Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Argentina, Chile, Argentina, Chile, Argentina Chile (getting to Ushuaia at the south end) then back to Argentina, Chile, Argentina (again to get off of Tierra del Fuego), Paraquay, Brazil. Total of 6 months time. Memories of Argentina where customs while leaving the country tried to steal two Canadian passports (actually took them and wouldn't give them back till I got mad and jumped the counter and picked up one of the small guards and threw him against the wall, the Captain came out and I went towards him and voila, the passports were handed over, nothing to lose as there is a no man's land between Columbia and Ecuador of 10 km and if you are stuck in there you will never see tomorrow). Then from Ecuador to Peru (again a no man's land between the two customs offices) the Peruvians would put up the closed sign when we would approach, a few pesos crossed hands and we got into Peru.

Other story from Peru is that is the last place I actually piloted an aircraft, a Cessna Skywagon that was in terrible shape, rented it to fly over the Nazca lines. Was an interesting flight, the only part of the aircraft that I felt was fully airworthy was the engine/prop. The rest was a bucket of parts attempting to stay together. Was fun though.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:28 pm 
Site Admin

Amazing stuff there. How did you end up in that part of the world. Work? Tourism?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:31 pm 

Was tourist thing, I was working as a tech in show business at the time, freelance on movies, theatre, television etc. Everything from mixing sound at concerts, designing sound effects for plays, lighting and sound for television, lighting for movies, high rigging for rock shows (Edmonton Coliseum now Rexall Place up on 12 inch beams 90 feet off the ground pulling up cable and chains for lighting and sound rigs) as well as running my own electronics repair/design shop for entertainment equipment. Needed a break from it all so took some time off. Was a great adventure, all started when I met an Australian fellow who was on his way up to the north to get as far north as he could get and then wanted to get as far south in South America as he could. We did the southern part together with a truck we purchased with a few other people and drove the continent.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]