It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:19 am

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:54 pm 

I am putting together another CVA training session geared specificaly to the many new faces out there who may be a little nervous about flying online, or who need some guidance on who to call, when to call and what to do when someone calls you...

I am planning to hold this event in a nice quiet area, with (I hope) CVA pilots manning the scopes and providing ATC services during the training event. This way, we keep all our embarrassing "brain-farts" within the family! I'm planning on doing this on a Saturday or Sunday.

What I need from you guys, is a "yes I'm interested" email, and what days would be best for you to attend. No sense in doing it if no one is around to fly, is there? Please send an email to cva51@cablerocket.com and let me know if you'd be interested...

Now, if anyone is having trouble connecting to Vatsim, or you simply don't know how, send this information to me as well and I'll do my damndest to help get you connected and ready to go online.

I also want to use voice comms for this event. It's just way easier that way, rather then trying to type everything. If you don't have a microphone, that's ok. You can still download AVC (Available at VATSIM.net) and use it in receive only mode, meaning you'll still be able to hear everyone, you'll just have to type to us is all. Again, if you're having any trouble with AVC, or don't know how to use it, let me know in your email and I'll help you out before the event takes place.

A quick, one hour session will be all it takes to get the basics down-pat! You'll all be flying the virtual sky's like pros!

Please note: I will not be giving instruction on landing techniques. I'm still dealing with the law-suits from the last time I tried that... :biggrin:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:58 am 
I'll be there too, I hope not to be a hinderance to you too much........... I'll even fly a fixed mind (I mean wing).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:13 pm 

"Please note: I will not be giving instruction on landing techniques. I'm still dealing with the law-suits from the last time I tried that... "

Oh, thank GOD....

If you need a quiet place with a controller, I'm happy to volunteer to help out Keith. Let me know when, and I'll get a couple of the guys to help at CZWG and man whatever positions you need.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:28 pm 

Geezus... Giving me a hard time about landing and you live in Moose Jaw? ####, anyone can land a plane on that "dinner plate" terrain! LMAO

Might be going home this summer (Estevan) and will have to see if I can swing through MJ. A little out of my way, but if you're buying the beer (Moosehead? LOL) I might be able to come up with something...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:51 pm 

Oh, I suppose I can foot the bill for a beer or three....

Bring that dumbo Rick with you, and the deal is off. HE can buy.

Yer from SK originally, and can't land a plane? Maybe you learned to land from watching the new pilots out here at 15 Wing. They make some nice craters from time to time.

Anyway, Winnipeg is nize and quiet for your online class. Or we could use Regina or Saskatoon. Regina might be better...nobody cares if you crash there....but we ask that you aim for the Legislature building....

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:45 pm 

Quote:
Quote: from Dave Shaw on 12:51 pm on July 6, 2004
Yer from SK originally, and can't land a plane? Maybe you learned to land from watching the new pilots out here at 15 Wing. They make some nice craters from time to time.

That just might the problem.

I remember, when I was living in Lampman SK, we'd always have Tutors and CF-5's buzzing low and slow over the town by the grain elevators. I asked someone once why they kept doing that. He told me they were student pilots out on a solo who had gotten lost. The pilots where buzzing the Elevators so they could read the name of the town off them and figure out where they were!

Don't know if that's really true or not. I'd sure hope these pilots would have some hefty flight experience (and hence, Navigation experience) before transitioning to jets!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:39 pm 

Keith,

That is actually part of the Airforce training... it is in the manuals... Chapter 12 "How to scare the tranquil inhabitants (i.e. farmers) of a small town". But I like your explanation better.

:biggrin:

Roger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 2:57 pm 
It's Sunday morning and no word on any training...... any excuse for a multi is good...........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 3:01 pm 

Quote:
Quote: from Keith CVA51 on 4:45 pm on July 6, 2004

That just might the problem.

I remember, when I was living in Lampman SK, we'd always have Tutors and CF-5's buzzing low and slow over the town by the grain elevators. I asked someone once why they kept doing that. He told me they were student pilots out on a solo who had gotten lost. The pilots where buzzing the Elevators so they could read the name of the town off them and figure out where they were!

Don't know if that's really true or not. I'd sure hope these pilots would have some hefty flight experience (and hence, Navigation experience) before transitioning to jets!

Haha, you never know! When I was doing my first cross-countries, we were told that you could use water towers to figure out where you were... and sure enough one of our guys had to - he overshot the airport he was supposed to be at by almost 30 miles!

"Life is simple: Eat, Sleep, Fly."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:41 pm 

Haven't had any response from any interested parties, except for you Michel!

It is summer time though, and alot of people are playing outside this time of year. I'll just keep making the offers and see if we can't get something rolling...

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]