It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:37 pm

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:18 am 

Next question!

I recall back in '94 (that's 1894 to you! ??? ) that I used to fly the FS3 Cessna from Chicago to Champagne using the two VORs. I know that they are different (VOR 1 has a horizontal glide slope) but i also recall that I was able to use them both to navigate around (triangulation?) but I can't find anything on this exact topic in the materials I have. Should I expect to ever need the VOR 2 indicator or is it no longer useful with IFR flight plans and GPS?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:51 am 

I've been reading (Rod Machado) and seem to have come up with one answer maybe...
I guess when you use VOR 1 as the localizer for the ILS, you can then use the other VOR for, how do you say, more general navigation (ie, flying to a VOR while enroute or during a missed approach)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:10 am 

Rod,

There is probably no right or wrong...whatever gets you there.

Here's what I do that seems an effective use of both instruments.

When flying an outbound radial on a VOR, tune it to VOR1 as you can see when you are precisely on the desired radial. Tune your next inflight VOR on VOR2 so you can see its direction and dme. About midway to the second VOR, tune it into VOR1 and fly the inbound radial on VOR1.

When passing over the second VOR fly the outbound again on VOR1 and tune the next waypoint on VOR 2.

In this method you can see the outbound dme and inbound to the next dme. Also note the bearing to the inbound or next waypoint on VOR2. If it's way out of round, you are probably flying the wrong outbound radial on VOR1. It's a good double check. I've caught mistakes before using this procedure.

Another use of the two VOR's is coming in closer to the pattern at the Airport. Have a look at the YVR Keinn arrival for the 26's, for example. You may fly the YVR R-312 on VOR 1 for precise tracking, but tune the YPK beacon on VOR 2. At 20 inbound to YVR, you need not retune VOR1, just turn left direct to your VOR2 to complete the STAR and fly your downwind leg.

Good idea too about the missed approach. Tune your ILS freq into VOR1, but your missed approach waypoint into VOR2.

Hope this is helpful.

???

Edited By CVA1122 Ben on 1159319799

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:17 am 

Rob
Here is a great read for you.

http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/vor-nav.htm

EDIT: Everyone should read it.

Edited By CVA303 on 1159321094

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:00 pm