It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:32 pm

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:40 pm 

So I've decided that I'm sick of using Windows XP (mostly because i have the 32 bit version and can't use all the RAM that I have installed) and am able to obtain a copy of Windows 7 Professional free through my school.
I know that it requires a fresh install which means I'll lose everything on my current hard drive. I am planning on getting a 2nd hard drive during the wicked Boxing Day sales this week. What I'm wondering is if it would be better to install windows 7 on this new hard drive, leaving the xp install on the old one, or would it be best to backup everything onto this new hard drive and then do the fresh install on the old hard drive, essentially overwriting XP. My concern with doing it this way is that my old hard drive is a rather old P-ATA type and I'd rather use a SATA drive for my OS install.

So...Any advice, comments, foreseeable problems? And has anyone had any compatibility issues with anything flight sim related when switching to Windows 7?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:40 pm 

I ran FS-X when beta Win7 came out. I had a few problems with drivers, but those have been addressing since then.

I was also having major pains trying to get Squawkbox or FSinn to work, like a lot of us. I eventually went back to Win XP 32bit and FSinn without problems.

But in all fairness, Win7 is supposed to be much better than Win XP and Vista. I'll be going that way on my next build.

HyperX Cloud II headset,
SAMSUNG SSD 850 EVO 250GB and 500GB,
EVGA Supernova G2 850W, CORSAIR Obsidian 750D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:55 am 

I'd use the new SATA drive as primary

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:11 am 
Site Admin

Hey Danny,

I've upgraded to Win7 from XP and also Win7 from Vista on 2 different machines. It all depends what your long term goal is.

If you want added protection on your computer with having 2 hard drives then configure your system in a RAID1 configuration (if your motherboard supports it) and therefore wipe everything out and go from there - just backup everything somewhere else first.

If you want to be able to quickly fall back to what you have then setup and install the new hard drive as the primary drive and keep your XP drive offline for now until you get things working and you will be also able to then hookup the drive and pull files across as you need them.

Installing Win7 and getting things working will be a challenge for sure. Even though you are installed as an administrator you may want to turn off Win7's User Access Control in order to get things working properly. I have found that some things did not install properly or setup correctly until I did this.

If you need a hand, give me a shout as we're close enough and could likely get together at some point in the new year if needed.

Cheers! :thumbsup:

CVA7769

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:46 am 

Thanks for the help guys. One problem that I had (which would not have happened if I read Darryl`s post carefully) was that I installed windows 7 on my new hard drive, neglecting to disconnect the old one. Apparently, even if windows installed on the new drive it put all the boot files on the old drive. I formatted the old drive and presto, windows 7 doesn`t boot. I then had to install Windows 7 on my old drive because I had already backed up some files on the new one and couldn`t reformat that on. To make a long story short, everything works good so far but i haven`t yet reinstalled flight sim yet. Hopefully I won`t have any trouble with FSINN.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]