It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:16 pm

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:58 pm 

In some of my 2k2 scenarios, on takeoff in a cessna, I find myself drifting quite a bit off the runway "line". (By line, I mean "staying in line" with the runway, as opposed to just staying on the runway heading. Although I suppose if I'm drifting off the runway line, I'm actually not on the proper heading either! ??? )

Is this the crosswind effect, and how can I counteract this? I have tried trimming my rudder, but it doesn't seem to help. Should I trim it more? Is there a practical limit? Should I just focus on the upcoming navaid? Any comments are welcome.

Thanks - Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:26 am 
Site Admin

Hey Rob,

Well, as a pilot in the real world there are various ways to do this but most people follow a few basic rules.

On the takeoff roll you should already have your control column turned into the direction of the wind. As you roll down the runway on takeoff you gradually roll this back towards the center but still have it slightly turned into the wind.

On takeoff from the runway you will also use your rudder / ailerons to perform a level takeoff but the rudder is used primarily to counter the crosswind drift. Ailerons are used to counteract the rudder effect and maintain level flight. The trick to remember is to also look back periodically to ensure you are on the climbout in line with the runway.

With some practice you'll get the hang of it and it will become a breeze.

There are a number of real world pilots as well online that probably have some other methods or additional comments but the above is fairly standard / straight forward.

Cheers!

CVA7769

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:44 pm 

I see. Thanks! So turning the column would be what, exactly, with a joystick? Just ailerons (x-axis), or a bit of rudder too?

The real problem I have is that with virtual flying, I can't see much ahead of me when on takeoff roll. I try my best (knowing I'm drifting), then look back when I get a chance, and yup, I'm drifting badly. So I have to practice two things. 1 - getting more comfortable with the hat, and 2 - vector a proper course in a crosswind. So much to learn - so little time! :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:59 pm 

Aleron Rob. Then use the rudder for yaw on the climbout.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]