Page 3 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 5:06 pm 
Site Admin

CVA0319 wrote:
For anyone running Vista and receiving a
"Fsuipc error #1
FSUIPC_ERR_OPEN. The connection to FSUIPC is already open"

Make sure you are running the program with administrator privileges. Navigate to the folder you installed kACARS in and right click the executable file ( kACARS-Customizable.exe) and choose properties, in the resulting window select the "Compatibility" tab and in the "Privilege Level" box check "Run this program as an administrator".

Note: set the actual .exe to run as administrator not the shortcut (icon) created by the program.

The same thing goes for Windows 7 users. It doesn't hurt to set the Administrator rights on the shortcut (I have done this on mine for Windows 7 and not on the executable and it works fine).

Your mileage may very on this one.

Cheers! :thumbsup:

CVA7769

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 7:20 pm 
Site Admin

I have had no problems with administrator privledges in Windows 7 ever since I told User Account Control to go pound salt!!! :angry:

Edited By cva3906 on 1273951236

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:40 pm 

CVA7769 wrote:
The same thing goes for Windows 7 users. It doesn't hurt to set the Administrator rights on the shortcut (I have done this on mine for Windows 7 and not on the executable and it works fine).

Your mileage may very on this one.

Cheers! :thumbsup:

I found my information on the developers support forum where it says

(by Jeffrey Kobus » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:33 am)

"Make sure that you are running everything with administrator privileges.

Be sure to set the actual exe file to "run as administrator" not the shortcut"

So I'm just assuming there is an actual reason why he would make this statement.
:thumbsup: Gary

+Portland City,2S1,CEN4,CEJ4,KHQM,7WA3,CBB7,KPDX
G_NA packs 1-8,EDBH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:52 pm 

cva3906 wrote:
I have had no problems with administrator privledges in Windows 7 ever since I told User Account Control to go pound salt!!! :angry:

Hi Chuck,
Have you tried googling "is it safe to turn off UAC?"
of all the sites that will show you how to do it 9 out 10 will recommend you don't! In fact some of them actually go as far as to suggest you be wary of anyone who suggests you do!
Gary

G_NA packs 1-8,EDBH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 11:09 pm 

I knew I should be careful with any advice Chuck gave out. Now I know for sure. ???

I've just gotten into the habit of startign everything with a right click and run admin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 12:09 am 

for some reason, i get a connection error when i click on verify Log in Details? Why could that be?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 1:35 am 
Site Admin

CVA0319 wrote:
cva3906 wrote:

Hi Chuck,
of all the sites that will show you how to do it 9 out 10 will recommend you don't! In fact some of them actually go as far as to suggest you be wary of anyone who suggests you do!
Gary

UAC is good for people that don't know any better about computer systems.

For the rest of us....disable it :D

CVA7769

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:00 am 
Site Admin

Lord Letto wrote:
for some reason, i get a connection error when i click on verify Log in Details? Why could that be?

Are you running the software downloaded from our downloads section?

Are you running it as Admin?

If so, did you click on the Info Menu and select Settings to put your callsign and password in?

If you did that, did you make sure to put your full CVA callsign in..it should be CVA0454 for your callsign.

Enter your password and select Save?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:13 am 
Site Admin

CVA0319 wrote:
cva3906 wrote:

Hi Chuck,
Gary

It is all about risk management and your own comfort level.

I have a system just for FS. No one else in the house uses it except me. I do not keep banking records, important documents or family photo albums on it. It sits behind a hardware firewall that is secured as best as can be in today's age.

I know every process that is running on it...I have researched each one to know if it is needed and what the problems could be if they were stopped.

If my system were to come down with a serious problem tomorrow, I would and am prepared to reformat and reload the OS. All of my FS files are backed up either across the network and/or burned to DVD.

I did a little more reading on UAC and found that it is also possible for malware to be written in such a way to silently disable UAC and reboot your system with no input from the user. If they really want to nuke your system, they will find a way.

I do use my FS system for looking after files on the website, but after every update or change I make to the local files on my machine, I push a mirror copy to a networked computer for back up.

If you use your computer as a family resource with multiple users doing heavens know what when you are not there, then by all means, leave UAC turned on. Additionally, you may wish to research the level of protection that it is set at to ensure you are getting the most out of it.

For myself in my situation, I am comfortable with UAC off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:57 am 

CVA7769 wrote:

Well now I'm sure you don't know any better Darryl :D
You should read up a bit on the subject it's not as safe to do as you are leading people to believe you know

G_NA packs 1-8,EDBH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:39 am 

cva3906 wrote:
It is all about risk management and your own comfort level.
For myself in my situation, I am comfortable with UAC off.

Hi Chuck
If I didn't "know any better about computers" and read your second post I would be far more comfortable deciding about UAC. If I was the average computer user who may not have a second computer to devote to a dedicated task and read someone's post about turning off UAC I might do something that could compromise the security of my system.
Please don't think I'm trying to denounce what you have said as that's not what I meant to do. (Although I can see by your well thought out and well written response that you don't seem to have taken it that way at all)
My point was yes, turning off UAC under the right conditions and with the right amount of knowledge isn't necessarily a breach of system security but to recommend it without at least pointing out some of the issues as you outlined in your second response might not be a good piece of advise to offer or suggest.
(Hoping I haven't offended you any way and if I have my apologies)
Gary

G_NA packs 1-8,EDBH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 1:29 pm 

Chuck doesn't mind. He does his own thing his own way. Because he's a CVAer.

CVA has been around a long time and it's only the newest people who don't know about CVA's long history of its satirical and iconoclastic approach to flying, computers, and life in general. And Chuck has always been a great example of (dis)respect for the rest of us! :D

In other words, we do intend first to have fun and second to fly and help each other. Most of us like to joke around and keep things loose. If we didn't, we would have gone to other VAs long ago.

Edited By Rob Vanderkam on 1274016600

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:25 pm 

Hey Guys

I downloaded it and all works fine, I did a test flight and it worked like a charm, however last night when I finished the first leg, it had said I never landed and had no data on my flight, anything I did wrong maybe?

-Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 2:09 am 
Site Admin

CVA0319 wrote:
CVA7769 wrote:

Well now I'm sure you don't know any better Darryl :D
You should read up a bit on the subject it's not as safe to do as you are leading people to believe you know

Actually Gary...I DO know better - thanks :D

As a former Microsoft Engineer (MCSE) and a current MCSA on both Windows 2003 / 2003 and being around the tech game since the early 90's I consider myself fairly well versed in the computers. I have built and designed small systems to networks for both Alberta and Manitoba governments in my time.

Microsoft has done a good job by implementing UAC amongst other things to further protect operating systems (although their first stab at in in Vista really pissed off a lot of people which is why people went to disable the damned thing in the first place). They've since made improvements in the Windows 7 platform as to the level of interaction it has with the users experience and pissing them off level which is better than before.

For those who are not so sure then leave it on. For me personally it's not problem and each person has to judge their level of comfort and risk with UAC in the way they feel it will affect them.

I hope this helps clarify further my comments :D

CVA7769

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 12:24 pm 

mattymsboi wrote:
Hey Guys

I downloaded it and all works fine, I did a test flight and it worked like a charm, however last night when I finished the first leg, it had said I never landed and had no data on my flight, anything I did wrong maybe?

-Matt

Matt,

it is basically telling you that you were using a sleath plane that KASCARS was unable to detect and monitor.

That explained why it said you never landed and had no data on your flight.

Aharon

Page 3 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next