It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:18 am

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: X GRAPHICS vs UTX
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:20 pm 

Does anyone have these? What are your opinions? How do these affect your framerates?

I'm shopping for add-ons for FS-X and would like to know what you guys think of these.

HyperX Cloud II headset,
SAMSUNG SSD 850 EVO 250GB and 500GB,
EVGA Supernova G2 850W, CORSAIR Obsidian 750D

Post subject: Re: X GRAPHICS vs UTX
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:15 pm 

Do you mean FSX standard graphics vs UTX? I'd have a look at both UTX and GEX. They make a world of difference. But they are nothing like Orbx FTX. They don't improve the road locations, for example, and highways will still go right through residential and industrial neighbourhoods and even buildings.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:13 am 

It doesn't look like X Graphics was available back in April when I picked up REX for FSX. At the time I had read that Active Sky was better for setting weather in FSX and that lots of people buy Active sky but used the textures from REX. Looks like HIFI is fighting that image with this package.I don't have X Graphics so I can't compare the two (REX and X Graphics) but it looks like they are slapping in a few things that REX doesn't have. I'm so REX'ed and GEX'ed and UTX'ed not to mention FTX'ed I don't even bother trying to keep up with what is doing what anymore. Orbx I think asked if I wanted to change the runway textures in FSX to their hi def versions and something else changed the roads.
As far as XGraphics vs UTX they would compliment one another as UTX handles the look of the terrain in FSX while X Graphics handles the water and sky. As far as lighting and railroads and stuff you might end up with a conflict with Orbx in their coverage areas or UTX as they alter roads and rails and night lighting as well but all the vendors I mentioned above seem to keep abreast of each other and it's just a matter of weeding through their support forums to "untangle" any clashes the products may have with competing packages.
Once I installed REX it changed the whole experience the clouds alone made for such a tranquil experience while flying that the package was worth it.

All I can offer is that REX is tried and true but X Graphics may be more advanced because they had REX to follow/compete with. UTX for me would be a given, I believe it was you who said that the snow capped mountains in FSX looked like "marshmallows" UTX just may make you happier, it improves the "lay of the land" quite a bit.

HTH
Gary

+Portland City,2S1,CEN4,CEJ4,KHQM,7WA3,CBB7,KPDX
G_NA packs 1-8,EDBH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:15 am 

I missed on GEX when I started the thread.

X Graphics is out of the running.

GEX USA/Canada and UTX USA/Canada look interesting.

Now here's a few interesting reviews, Get Them All!
http://forum.avsim.net/topic/238882-rex-fex-utx-help/

This seems like a common description:
Quote:
REX is great for clouds and water, GEX for ground textures, UTX for roads, etc. FTX is awesome ground scenery, and includes many, many airport upgrades, buildings, etc.

I've seen a lot of Orbx pics here, but I'm more interested in nationwide coverage for the time being. I'm still looking for a review that mentions frame rates on GEX vs UTX.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:37 am 

Another interesting description at flightsim:

Quote:
Ultimate Terrain provides landclass, Ground Environment provides textures.
Ultimate Terrain is mostly roads and urban areas, Ground Environment is everywhere.
Ultimate Terrain is regional, Ground Environment is global (*).

(*) though Ground Environment has effects on a global scale, it is at the core a product for north America. It's just that some textures are shared between regions across the globe and will therefore appear elsewhere.

So it does look like you should use both for best visual results.

Dam, this is going to be a bit more expensive than I thought. :D

At first I was going to get a GTS250 along with the 2 GT9600 just to get the 6 monitors at acceptable frames. But when the order for the GTS250 was dropped because it was open box, I decided to go for dazzle:

3 Asus GTX550 TI
OCZ ZX-1250 watt power supply
Asus DVD writer

So far it looks like REX+Overdrive, UTX Canada, UTX USA and GEX North America are the most likely add-ons.

Quote:
So this is Christmas
And what have you done?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]