It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:28 pm

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:17 am 

Shopping for a decent flight plan package, comments appreciated.

Would also like to have suggestions for a radar add-on VS the displays within the flight planners (I think both have a sort of radar feature). I'd like something closer to reality if affordable.

HyperX Cloud II headset,
SAMSUNG SSD 850 EVO 250GB and 500GB,
EVGA Supernova G2 850W, CORSAIR Obsidian 750D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:50 am 

Oh yeah, i should work as a module so I can shove it on the 2nd PC.

HyperX Cloud II headset,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:39 pm 
Site Admin

Well, FSNavigator has two strikes against it right off the bat. One, it only works with FS9 and second it is no longer for sale as I recall.

FSBuild is a very good program. It will allow you to create a flight plan and export it to many different add-ons. It will create the flightplan in Level-D and PMDG formats for use in the FMC. It will export to Squawkbox and FSAcars as well.

Learning to use it correctly and get the most out of it could be a bit of a learning curve. I have it and I still haven't invested the time to learn it all yet.

Another program that you may wish to consider in Flight Sim Commander. It is similar to FSNavigator in that it will connect the map to FS to read the position of your aircraft, assist in creating a flightplan and has an autopilot feature that will look after the lateral navigation of your aircraft. If it is run on a computer that uses WideFS, it should work over a network as well.

One other thing with FS Commander is that if you are connected to Vatsim and have elected to show AI aircraft on the map, the other players in the vicinity will also be shown on the map. As well, if you download the Vatsim data from within FS Commander, all manned ATC positions will also be marked on the map.

Have fun in making your choice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:10 pm 
Site Admin

I've had FSBuild in the past and the program itself is not to bad. I think the only thing I did not like about it was that it had a certain plane set and you could not add new planes / data from what I remember. I had version 2.2 but they have a newer 2.3 version out now. This may have changed.

I've heard FSCommander is a good program as well, but no experience with it to speak of unfortunately.

Cheers!

CVA7769

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:17 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
it had a certain plane set and you could not add new planes / data from what I remember

Actually, you can add new plane sets to it. There are quite a few plane sets that users have available at the FSBuild site. I have loaded PMDG 747, Level D and the Dreamfleet 727-200. If you get right into it, it will also assist in calculating fuel burn. That being said, I think FS Commander would be a better day to day program if you are an FSX user.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:41 pm 

The funny thing is that I HAVE FS Commander. :D

Ok, it's the demo version, but I got those names up top from simmarket and didn't realize I was looking at something other than what I had been using as a demo.

FSbuild is still alive and marketted, they're at version 2.3 and it works on FS-X:
http://tinyurl.com/5tfu5v

The one thing that worries me about a lot of these nav aids is that they mention Squawkbox 3, nothing about SB4.

I tried importing a flight plan from FS-X into FSacars and I kept getting an error.

So I have to make my flight plan in FS-X, then retype it into FSacars and then into SB4, it would be nice if I could import directly.

HyperX Cloud II headset,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:04 pm 
Site Admin

I'm not sure of any way to export a flight plan from FSX to FSAcars. I just checked and FSBuild will export to FS9, FSX, FSAcars, FSCommander, FSNav as well as a host of others.

I will have to check and see if the flight plan format changed from SB3 to SB4. If it did not, then you can use the SB3 export function and just point it to the SB4 root folder instead.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]