It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:48 pm

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: setting up second computer to use with fsx
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:39 am 

Okay so I bought this cheap refurb computer for 20 bucks which came with keyboard and mouse.
The specs are Pentium 4 2.4 ghz 1 gb of ram 40 gb harddrive so I am wondering if anyone knows is I can use this
With fsx as a second computer. Like a server setup. First off this comp is windows xp where as my other is windows 7
Would I need a seperate monitor for this comp.
Do I use widefs.
And what would be good to run on it like could I run as2012 or my fs2crew.
And if anyone is doing this can you share how yoy are setup and what the second computer is doing and if not can someone piont me in the right direction

Post subject: Re: setting up second computer to use with fsx
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:21 am 

You are going to have to get them networked together, should work, I have 3 networked together, one is a P4 but it runs CVAcars Vatspy, another runs FSCommander, I have 5 monitors hooked up to them all, hopefully someday have them running the MIP and outside views. some programs need SIMCONNECT running :( that can bet a real bitch to get set up on another computer. I would check out the Avsim forums, its a bit much for JUST quickly explaining it on here..... :lol: Good luck.

Image....Image

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:42 am 

yeah Im up to three monitors so I am hoping to run cvacars as2012 and charts(charts not a big deal I have a 9 inch tab for those) on that one with one monitor. Then VC on my other computer with one monitor then on the other monitor efis panels fmc vox atc or vatsim. Then fs move maps to my samsung. Just trying to get it all to run smoothly. Im am currently reading the widefs manual then off to the lost land of forums. (I haven't done this much reading since high school. My lit teacher would be impressed.) :lol:
Will as2012 run through widefs do you know?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:27 am 

Hey Mike,
I too have 5 monitors on 3 networked computers and more usb connections than you can shake a stick at :(
If you are going to run other programs on your second computer simconnect is a breeze once you google and download the "simconnect config tool" I pretty much just run FSX on my main box and everything else over the network (Plan-G, CVACars etc etc) WideFS is great for a network as well. My simconnect "breaks" on me occasionally and the only way to fix it is to reinstall and reboot but when it does break I can usually reconnect some of the programs (Plan-G for example) with WideFS and salvage the flight. You got to watch this stuff Mike, it's extremely addictive :D

+Portland City,2S1,CEN4,CEJ4,KHQM,7WA3,CBB7,KPDX
G_NA packs 1-8,EDBH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:16 pm 

Yeah very addictive! This one was my wifes fault.shes the one who found this on sale for me. I thought I was done upgrading for a while. Just found out this morning that the only problem with the second computer was a memory chip not inserted all the way so hen you turned t on it wouldnt load and just beeped. :D I will chaulk that one up as a win.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:42 am 

Okay so I am running AS2012 And I am using the REX Textures instead of the textures that come with AS2012 I want to Run AS2012 From my second computer do I need to transfer these textures over or do they stay on the main system?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:21 am 

The textures should be on the FSX System

Image....Image

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:36 pm 

So With AS2012 on my second computer how do I make it find the fsx folder through the network. I tried to share the c:\program files\microsoft games\fsx but the share is shaded out and I went to advanced share and shared but when I go to my shared docs folder between the network I dont see this folder. Its probably something really easy. I have done a lot with computers. But this is an area I have not ever explored.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:24 pm 

Must be your UAC, should be able to share, then map it on the network computer.

Image....Image

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:29 pm 

yeah I figured it out I didnt have the same workgroup name. So I wasnt able to see the other computer. only if I dragged files to the other computers share file. everything is working now just finishing up installing and tweeking everything. Hopefully back flying tonight :P

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:17 am 

simconnect. Now thats a fun setup if you are using fsx gold :roll: On my second install of fsx after realizing how you have to install this. Heres the link if anyone needs it.

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?200041-How-to-Install-SDK-for-FSX-Gold
At this rate should be back flying week after next. :lol: Thats alright I will get to catch up on some reading ngx and md11

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:03 am 

okay so I am running into a problem have tried to install the sdk 3 times now on fsx gold. I am following the link above. And everytime when the dos window comes up this is what I get.

0.00000 SimConnect version 10.0.61259.0

0.00198 Server: Scope=local, Protocol=Auto, Address=::1, Port=1691, MaxClients=6
0.00863 Server: Scope=local, Protocol=Pipe, Name=\\.\pipe\Microsoft Flight Simul
ator\SimConnect, MaxClients=64
0.00945 Server: Scope=local, Protocol=IPv6, Address=::1, Port=1692, MaxClients=6
0.01064 Server: Scope=local, Protocol=IPv4, Address=127.0.0.1, Port=1693, MaxCli
ents=64

0.01108 File not found: Path="C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft F
light Simulator X SDK\SDK\Mission Creation

Kit\object_placement.dll"
0.01118 File not found: Path="C:\Program Files (86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Fl
ight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox

SDK\traffictoolbox.dll"
0.01129 File not found: Path="C:\Program Files (86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Fl
ight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Special Effects

SDK\visualfxtool.dll"

And If I go into the file mentioned I see the files it cant find. So I am hoping I am missing something and someone else has seen this before and has a solution. I am trying to use simconnect to run active sky2012 on network

Here is my dll that I am suppose to change according to link in above post its the one in users appdata roaming mircrosoft fsx,

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>

<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">
<Descr>Launch</Descr>
<Filename>dll.xml</Filename>
<Disabled>False</Disabled>
<Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>Object Placement Tool</Name>
<ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
<Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Mission Creation

Kit\object_placement.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>Traffic Toolbox</Name>
<Path>C:\Program Files (86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox

SDK\traffictoolbox.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>Visual Effects Tool</Name>
<Path>C:\Program Files (86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Special Effects

SDK\visualfxtool.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
</SimBase.Document>

and if it helps I am using windows 7 and I have my fsx installed at c:\microsoft games\microsoft flight simulator x

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:58 am 

So Active Sky is up and running on my client computer now. Theres just not enough info out there. But with a lot of reading and searching I got er done. Now I get to fly for a bit. :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:46 am 

Great stuff!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:25 pm 

Hello.

I have an old laptop which I am now using for maps and other stuff while the main computer is for FSX. I have now set up FSInn and Copilot also on the laptop. The two computers are connected via Netgear wireless router which connects to another router and to the internet. Everything works great.

There is a neat little program - The Input Director - which allows the use of one mouse and one keyboard for both computers. I have an extra lcd display connected to the laptop, which sits next to the 'master' 27 inch screen. When I move the mouse to the 'slave' screen it automatically switches the keyboard and mouse connection to the laptop computer. No need to reach out to the laptop to type in something. Awesome :o :o .

The last day of my summer vacation is ending :cry: - back to the office tomorrow morning.

Jaakko

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next