It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:56 pm

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:55 pm 

So guys, How was the demo? Was it well attended?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:48 pm 

Dunno!!! To busy to notice, didn't even have time for lunch.
We do know we were all proud of DS. He was fabulous with the kids; showing them how to properly fly the aircraft. It was great to watch. We did notice the extra service he gave that 19 year old chickee.
Looking forward to tonite's forums on CVA & YVR FIR to see the reactions on the day.
Thanx to my guys out at CYPK; DS, Ben, Ken and Alan and a special thanx to Brandon for his 4 hours of ATC.
I know it was a great day even if I don't know what happened.
Dale(CVA1050)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:09 pm 

Saw Ken's C172 on the ground when I logged on (in my B412) but apparently he wasn't at his "post".

Proceeded to call him a slacker, then off on my flight I went.

Glad to hear it was a success!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:49 pm 

I thought it was tremendous. I can't believe the draw that "little" airport had.

There must have been several hundred people went through our room, many of which have been turned on to online flying and CVA.

The lads' setup was excellent. Three CPU's and five monitors. One running FS with yoke and pedals for demos and trials. One running Vancouver Plus scenery showing the detailed Pitt Meadows airport. The final one running whatever the ATC program is called, showing CYPK and area.

There was tons of promo literature and the like on the tables. Excellent signage and banners. Prizes for successful landings.

It was a great show. Well hosted. Quite professional. I had a blast and would do it again tomorrow.

I'll post the pics if I can figure out how to d/l them from my cell phone.

How about that jet powered RC aircraft? Wowza!

Edited By CVA1122 Ben on 1156200798

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:00 am 

We saw you out there, Harry. I was sitting on the ground for a very good reason. I had the aircraft positioned in the grass facing the 26L and the terminal so that the visitors could see the fantastically real scenery, plus (when online) virtual a/c taking off, landing, and taxiing. I had no intention to fly, and had not brought the necessary stuff to do so. Besides, I had 4 positions to fill at the airport, so I spent little time in the room with the display.

Ben was fabulous too! Greeting everyone into the room, and thanking them as they left. A fabulous ambassador for the hobby. Here is Alan Taylor's description in another forum. It is better than anything I could come up with:

"The event can only be described as a qualified success, those of us who were manning the promotion were too busy to notice...attendance in the boardroom where we were setup was steady and constant for the entire 5 hours of the show.I would only be able to guess at numbers but the flow was steady.Cooperation from Pitt Meadows Regional Airport was outstanding especially the manager who went out of his way to accomodate us. I was personally pleasantly surprised that pilots and airport personnel would be so interested in the online FS concept during an airshow , but interested they were and I believe we opened a few eyes to some of the benefits of our hobby to the aviation community at Pitt Meadows.

CVA (Canadian Virtual Airlines http://canadianva.com - sorry but they worked hard and deserve a plug ) are to be commended for a first rate performance. We had 5 monitors, 3 PC's and a wealth of FS literature present.

For Jon Patch - take a bow sir, the manager at Pitt Meadows was extremely impressed with Vancouver+ and the depiction of "his" airport, even down to the signs on some of the hangars WITH the phone numbers on them.

I too was impressed by this incredible detail, but none more than when I managed to get invited into the tower after Ken CVA868 and I had zoomed around the sim, finding a tower view...then going into the real tower looking out the window and thinking "oh my, I've just seen this exact same sight in the Vancouver+ scenery."

The setup - ah yes the setup involved 1 PC running FS9 with 3 monitors, I had VRC (Virtual Radar Client) running as CYPK_TWR and focused on the arrivals and departures on Vatsim while the 3rd PC had an outside view of the Vancouver+ scenery of CYPK.

Kudos to DS (Darryl Shuttleworth President of CVA) for an exceptional job promoting FS and teaching the visitors how to fly online, Ben Wegner CVA1122 who drove in from Kelowna to help man the booth and offer some tips to prospective simmers, Ken Malaniuk CVA868 a Senator at CVA who was the groups liason with the airport and a big part of the main event, Dale Goldstone CVA1050 Hub Captain for Vancouver who was the actual originator and person in charge of the demonstration also yours truly was there representing VATCAN and the 3 Lower Mainland FS groups I belong to, VIVA, CVA and Mainland and was supposed to be manning the Vatsim tower except I have to personally thank Brad Crockett who a few of you know - who spent 4 hours in CYPK_TWR so yours truly could take a few pictures and talk to lots of people about FS and ATC online in general.

The pictures - they will be hosted on a site and I'll edit in a link later for those who wish to view them.

The Harvard & Tiger Moth from the Langley Museum, The Red Baron and a few others were present and I managed to witness an airspace being cleared for a RC plane demonstration - yup the tower insisted on closing the field to allow this incredible remote controlled jet to zip around the airfield at 200 mph and come to a perfect landing on 26L, quite a sight to see and of course - camera in the boardroom.

Overall a wonderful day and thanks to all who flew in "virtually" to Pitt Meadows, sorry this is so long winded, but even at this it only scratches the surface of how the day went."
__
Alan VI490
VATCAN18

Edited By Ken CVA868 on 1156208448

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:00 am 
That was the event...thanks from Vatcan and the CZVR FIR for the invitation to participate...without a doubt an unqualified success :D

We certainly had a full day, my thanks to DS, Ben, Ken and Dale. I'm certain we managed to recruit some new simmers from the steady flow of traffic ALL day. A special thanks to Brad Crockett of the CZVR FIR who manned CYPK_TWR from Nanaimo for 4 hours while the Fir Chief was running around taking it all in, hey I was promoting :p

I took some photos you can see 'em here CYPK Airport Days

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:27 pm 
Site Admin

It was a great day.

Thanks to Dale who took the lead with meetings, logistics and organizational demands. Thanks for lugging the computer and the three monitors and the peripherals to the show! Excellent job, Dale.

Alan: a poet and a scholar... thanks to you sir for all your hard work.

Ben: you sir are a moooooooooooooook through and through - thanks for making the drive, and for being a great ambassador for CVA.

Ken: thanks for connecting us up with Pitt Meadows and the great C175 trip to Stave Lake. Fantastic.

I have a couple of phone videos that I will attmept to get to you guys of the trip up the Stave.

Once again, thanks to everyone. Great day!

Edited By DS on 1156260505

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]