It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:59 pm

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Flight Sim 2020
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:06 am 
Site Admin

Hello Gang!

Well the announcement is out - Microsoft Flight Sim 2020 will be officially released on August 18, 2020 and it looks simply AMAZING!!! i'm not sure about the rest of you but i'm planning to invest in the full deluxe edition for the extra payware quality airports and aircraft included. from everything I've read and seen so far this is going to be the closest thing to real world flying we've seen in many years, even with all of the addons to FSX or X-Plane.

You can be sure I want to see how we can tie the new sim into our existing system if it will be possible when the 3rd party tools become available but that may be some time yet. For now, I'm going to enjoy flyhing this sim.

Enjoy the upcoming release - August 18th, 2020!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYqJALPVn0Y

Cheers :mrgreen:

CVA7769

Post subject: Re: Flight Sim 2020
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:31 am 

FS 2020 will work with vatsim.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpVSEOBMCrs

I have prepurchased the deluxe version. :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:57 pm 
Site Admin

It's like Christmas morning around the house right now...

Currently downloading my pre-purchased copy of FS2020 Deluxe Edition. Looks to be about a 95 GB download so far for the "recommended" items...likely more after that will be required.

Ooooo the anticipation :D

Cheers! :mrgreen:

CVA7769

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:59 pm 

It was about a 4 hour download for me. Approx 96 gb.
Will need to learn to fly the a320 as no 737. Yet anyway.
I see orbyx already has scenery out for it and Carenado has one plane.
Scenery around YXY looks good. proper elevations and street alignments. Did notice some small lakes sitting on little spikes in the terrain.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:49 am 

I'm absolutely loving it. My observations are:

- flight model seems a lot more realistic - you really need to fly these babies. At first I was caught off guard because my first flight from Edinburgh nearly had me spinning off into a ditch near the end of the runway. Then I looked at the METAR and realised 20019G50 - so yeah :lol: But I soon got the handle of it and I'm really enjoying the new reality. I think FS2020 has now captured what X-Plane loyal used to lord over MSFS fans. They are very silent these days. :) Just like real life, don't expect to fly a Cessna out of Anchorage in Gale force winds without a massive fight on your hands. (or anything else for that matter)

- stock aircraft - really mixed bag here. I have fallen in love with the TBM 930, Diamond DA62 and the King Air 350. While they're not fully modelled - they're modelled 'enough' to make it challenging and realistic to a point. The Cessna models are also brilliantly done. Where things begin to fall over is on the jets. The Cessna Citation is a real disappointment as the FMC (as with the rest of the FMC-equipped models) are just not anywhere near complete or working with much confidence. The A320, 747 (haven't touched the 787) are also pretty much gump'd. All in - I'd say that anything with steam gauges or one of the Garmin packages absolutely nail it. Everything else is....(ahem)

- scenery - amazing. Just amazing. Perfect? No. Incredible for stock and day 1 release? Absolutely. One gripe - I attempted to do an Atlantic 'hopper' in a D62 (Edinburgh - Kirkwall - Faroh Islands - Iceland - Greenland - Goose Bay) and was one of the few to discover that the game crashes completely if you get anywhere close to Keflavik in Iceland. It's now a known bug and on the backlog for patching.

- performance - maybe i'm lucky. I bought a brand new but somewhat modest rig in anticipation of this sim. My final specs are Ryzen 5 3600, GTX 1660 Super with 16GB of 3200 Mhz RAM. Squarely in the 'recommended' bracket (not ideal) but I am absolutely delighted. On average I'm pushing 30-40 fps on 'high' settings with some ground texturing on 'medium' (trees, bushes, etc) BUT a couple key on Ultra which is light streaming and cockpit detail. It flies great and the graphics are stunning even with the compromises. They really worked hard to give everyone a great experience at all graphic levels and it shows. It is a well-performing sim (in my opinion) - and you don't take too much of a hit in high-density areas as you did with older versions.

"No matter what anyone tells you, a 'ground loop' is not a good thing"

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:41 pm 

Got MSFS 2020 installed day before yesterday and till now I have made a few flights: one over NYC, one from Cleveland-Hopkins Intl to Tillsonburg airport and one training flight. My initial impression so far:

The outside world graphics is amazing but I don't think it is so good everywhere like it is in the popular locations. Like when I was flying to Tillsonburg, the area around that airport had very sparse scenery. Inside the cockpit - the Cessna 152 had great clarity and sharpness in quality. However when I used Cessna 172 G1000, I was un-impressed with the quality of graphics inside the cockpit. It can be much much better. I haven't tried out any other aircraft so far. Will do so gradually.

The handling of the aircraft was okay I guess, am not an expert, but I believe it is slightly more realistic in XP11. Like when I am rolling down the runway in my Cessna, I didn't experience any left turn tendencies. Its possible, the difficulty settings in FS2020 has been set a bit low.

The collection of aircraft is pretty good, will explore them one by one.

The interface is okay for now, but can be improved definitely. I hope they do so with future updates.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:54 pm 

on above - set realism to 'hard' (full realism)

Then report back. Based on my brief experience with X-Plane, FS2020 is right up there with it.

There's heavy crosswinds and rain at Edinburgh right now - give that ago in the 152 with real weather and see how 'easy' it is.

"No matter what anyone tells you, a 'ground loop' is not a good thing"

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:31 am 

I just bought FS2020 and a new computer to run it, its a Intel Core I7-9700K 3.6GHz 16GB DDR4 ram, with a GeForce RTX 2070 super with 8 GB ram. hope its enough to run it.
any thoughts?

Image....Image

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:17 am 

It definitely is Cal. You should be able to run it in Ultra settings.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:44 pm 

that sounds good, that was my biggest worry.

Image....Image

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:27 am 
Site Admin

Cal Jordan (CVA371) wrote:
I just bought FS2020 and a new computer to run it, its a Intel Core I7-9700K 3.6GHz 16GB DDR4 ram, with a GeForce RTX 2070 super with 8 GB ram. hope its enough to run it.
any thoughts?

I plan on updating my PC I am not sure if I should go with a I7-9700K or a I9-9900K your advise on this would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:51 pm 

Mine should be arriving on Wednesday, Ill let you know how it runs FS2020

Image....Image

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:01 am 

Well I have FS2020 up and running , the graphics are amazing, it runs it on ULTRA settings and I even went in a moved s few sliders that don't move when set to ULTRA, people, cars, etc. Had the
real weather and it never stuttered at all. turned up the weather and tried it in KDFW, KJFK and KLAX it still was problem free. unfortunately the 747 and A320 didn't perform like
I hoped, the FMC on both were really full of bugs, maybe I'm just too used to PMDG aircraft. I don't know what the frame rates are but there
wasn't a flicker. I'm very pleased. Now to get my controls to work the way I like and wait for some PMDG aircraft to hit the market. :D

The computer is a "CYBERPOWER PC, running WINDOWS 10, Intel Core I7-9700K 3.6GHz 16GB DDR4 ram, with a GeForce RTX 2070 super
with 8 GB ram. I picked it up on Amazon for under 2100.00 with tax

Image....Image

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:59 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Gents,

Cal - Yes the graphics really are amazing. You'll be hard pressed to get a consistent 60 fps with any rig but you can definitely get some smooth results easily in most of your flying. Even with some of the settings set to High instead of Ultra can make a huge difference and there are some good youtube videos out there already on this.

Frank - You should have no problem with either the i7-9700K or even better the i9. FS2020 depends on both the processor and video card so having both upgraded is a good idea. I'm running a little less powered i7 processor (i7-7700k) due to it's the max i can use with my motherboard, and an RTX 2060 Super and get really decent speeds with my card since the upgrade. I also have 32 GB ram in my machine.

Running the system off of an M2 SSD drive (like the Samsung 970 Evo Plus) also makes a big difference in load times and performance I've found (originally had it on my SATA drive).

Cheers! :mrgreen:

CVA7769

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ]