It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:41 am

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Flight report YHZ-MIA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:20 pm 

Departed CYHZ for KMIA a smooth departure and climb to FL360, at TOC I noticed that my aircraft was wandering left and right trying to stay on course, heavy cross wind? not really, about 60 kts from the west. then I noticed we were at a 20 deg pitch attitude at level flight! ????? then I realized I'm too heavy for this flight level. So I bring it down nice and gentle like to FL320 I'm not gonna stall this one. That's better. but now that I'm at a lower altitude this will mess up my fuel calculations.
So I cruise for about an hour at 32000 and burn off fuel then cautiously climb back up to 36000. no problems.
I watch my fuel burn as we go along as our misadventures have cost us gas.
Uh oh! this is gonna be tight. a standard decent profile wont do, we will have to stay high for as long as possible and idle in to final on RWY12. Luckily it is quiet in MIA this morning on VATSIM so I stay up until 100 nm out from final then chop the throttles and set for -3000.
We glide down engines at idle but still burning 2000 PPH, my FMC says I will be at 3000 ft just before final ,perfect. I watch my speed and slow down using only the vertical speed setting..Still at idle throttle, on final I flip off the Autopilot and bring it in manually and use some throttle to bring it in.
Sweet landing! -32 according to ACARS. park at the gate with 900 lbs of fuel remaining.
After 2 months off flying this kind of victory makes me want to come back for more.
Not bragging, but I'm kinda pleased that I was able to save this flight and just wanted to share.

Post subject: Re: Flight report YHZ-MIA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:35 am 

Nice recovery Peter and you greased the landing at the end, very nice.

Post subject: Re: Flight report YHZ-MIA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:14 pm 

Love it. Makes sim flying more real and enjoyable.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]