It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:11 pm

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Finally had a Hardware Failure!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:46 am 
Site Admin

CVA0190 wrote:
It seems Darryl was right when he told me a month or so to watch out for my PSU and Motherboard when I reported my Graphics card failure back then. My new GEForce 760 card failed, and I immediately thought PSU problems so got another one. This time a 1300W so should not have to worry about power. But it may be too late for the card. Got my old 460 card in now and all is working good but have to do some major re-installs since I stupidly re-installed Win 7 when it was absolutely not the problem and completely UN-necessary. Now I'm paying the price for not backing up properly. I'm learning some important lessons.

Still, it has been going good, and actually a fresh Windows install is not bad because there was an awfull lot of crap programs in there that i never used and should have purged. So we are plugging on.

Probably won't be on-line or even flying for a while though. FSX is still safe on another drive, so I should be able at some point to bring that back up.

Ouch :( Sorry to hear Barry but hopefully you have the hardware issues now ironed out. A Windows reinstall is sometimes a major pain but you are right when you say there is always a lot of buried crap in there so hopefully that will help in the long run. The hardest part is getting all the programs reinstalled / configured the way you had them previously.

I'm just getting back from a 2 month road trip and hopefully will find some time in the near future to get online again :) Also just downloaded a tech preview version of the next Windows version - Windows 10 - looks promising already!

Cheers! :mrgreen:

CVA7769

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:43 pm 

One word Backup, another word Disk image..... :D

Image....Image

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:26 pm 

One of my 9600 fried recently too so I know how you feel.

The 900 series just came out so I'm probably going to be looking at the 700 series.

Just too much outside stuff to do for now and too little extra money. I really want to insolate the top of the garage before I get carried away in upgrading.

Edit: Had to look, this looks interesting. I'd just need a water block.

http://www.ncix.com/detail/asus-geforce ... 9-1343.htm

HyperX Cloud II headset,
SAMSUNG SSD 850 EVO 250GB and 500GB,
EVGA Supernova G2 850W, CORSAIR Obsidian 750D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:23 pm 

I'm getting there slowly. Seems my GEFORCE 760 from New Egg may have a 3 yr warranty so working on that now. The good old 460 is working fine with the new power supply. Don't have FSX back up yet because I've been doing a lot of winter prep in my yard these days. But I will be back.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:09 pm 
Site Admin

Great to hear the power supply seems to have sorted things out! Looking forward to seeing you back with many more fascinating screenshots to come :D

Cheers! :mrgreen:

CVA7769

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:27 pm 

Can't boot for some reason.

:D

New PSU and SSD for Christmas. Hope to have liquid cooling working properly after rebuild. It might give my aging Q6600 2.4GHz a 2nd life, or not. LOL

HyperX Cloud II headset,

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:04 pm 

I see the problem, not enough fans lol.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:10 pm 

That's not all of them. :lol:

Got 3 triple radiators so that's 9 fans right there, plus one in rear and top, and one in PSU. But I'm only putting one rad in for this first version.

Waiting on 2 temp probes & displays, and have some tweaking to do. The damn transparency shifted as I was center-punching the holes and didn't notice. The tape was lifting from the cold in the garage.

So I have to move the 12 holes just a bit, forgot to make a hole on top for fill-plug and make a faceplate for 3 case fans. Then make 2 openings for temp displays.

At least the pump is installed on the bottom and the reservoir has a "custom" bracket all done up. Another week to go probably.

HyperX Cloud II headset,

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:27 pm 

Looking at the table in the pic and all those parts :shock: . I have to admire your knowledge and time it must take. If I tried it, the Las Vegas Fire Dept would be hauling me off to Lake Meade lol.

CVA Prepar3D V2.4 Military and Pro Plus and Academic Pilot -- Windows 8.1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:25 pm 

I'm not really worried about setting fires, this is not my first build. I'm more concerned with the waterblocks not being installed properly and the chips frying. That topmost waterblock is not a perfect fit around the motherboard components. It's tilted a bit but it uses thermal tape so it might still be a good enough heat transfer, or it might not.

That bottom waterblock was blocking 2 graphic card slots. I was able to rotate it enough to clear that blue slot, but I can't use the black slot above it any more. The waterblock is no longer centered with the chip so I have to be extra careful not to stress it. The part that sucks is that the black slot runs 16 times faster than the blue one. Oh well, lesson learned.

I can live with that for now anyways 'cause that card will control the bottom monitors; gauges, FSinn, stuff like that. The other black slot will run the triple monitors. I just have to run a few tests to see which card is faster; my GTX560 TI or a GTX280 a friend sent me from the States.

I'm disappointed with these EK waterblocks. Two of them are not perfect fits, and one of them blocks graphic slots. These were supposedly compatible with this mobo specifically. You guys with the newer i7s should have no problem because the newer waterblocks can now cover all the chips; CPU and all.

I ordered 2 of these:

One for the reservoir to check the water temp, and another to check the case temp in the corner above the topmost graphics card. I want to see if the air gets evacuated from that nook in the back.

HyperX Cloud II headset,

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:42 pm 

I suppose I could remove that lower waterblock and put the standard heatsink back on. That's the Southbridge and it doesn't really get all that hot even when overclocking. I thought "what the heck" when I had first ordered these parts, couldn't hurt to cool it.

I didn't even bother cooling the RAM because I'm not overclocking it at all. RAM waterblocks were expensive, I would need 4 and experts were saying you can't overclock this RAM much anyways. So I left good enough alone.

The CPU is where we get the most bang-for-the-buck in FSX so that's where I concentrated the cooling. I also have waterblocks for the 9600 cards, but one is now dead and the other can't fit back in. :lol: And even then I didn't really like the setup; waterblock for the GPU and a bunch of conventional heatsinks for the other chips - no fans.

I have no intention of overclocking the GTX560 and GTX280. The new graphics cards are so powerful I'm not concerned with overclocking them either, and I'm not about to get one anyways. An i7/mobo/RAM is the next logical step for this gamer anyways. I'm just waiting for the prices to drop some more. There's more people buying 12core CPUs now, so eventually the "slower" 4cores will be cheaper when they will start liquidating.

Surprisingly, the hardest part is putting the radiator on the case. All those water blocks took me less than an hour. Installing the pump on the bottom was a breeze, the hand-made bracket for the reservoir was maybe an hour at most. I suppose I could go faster on the rad if my garage was heated. I get to keep all those parts when I upgrade the mobo.

This first attempt at water-cooling was a test. I hope I pass. :lol:

HyperX Cloud II headset,

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:44 pm 

And just so there's no misunderstandings, that white thing on the table is a flashlight!

HyperX Cloud II headset,

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:03 pm 

The packaging on the EVGA 850 G2 is impressive.

The box is very sturdy, the PSU is held by strong foam ends, it has a huge fan and it's a modular design; no more messy cable cluster. Best of all, it's $100.

Added bonus: the PSU and cables each come in sleeves for the guy that likes to carry them around the house too.

HyperX Cloud II headset,

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:11 pm 

I decided to do a new build. I was up and flying but the Orbx Central program would not run at all. Then I noticed Windows would not update. Something wrong with the Win7 install. Went all over the Web for solutions and none of them worked.

I said heck with it, for all I know the motherboard was damaged also (by the lightning strike) to cause this. It looked like a good Win7 re-install to me when I did it.

So I ordered a new motherboard - Asus Maximus Hero 1150 socket, and an i7-4790k. And I will go to Win 8.1. This CPU in turbo mode does 4.4 Ghz with no overclocking! (altho it can be oc'd). My Ram should still be good with it (God hope that is not damaged). I'll put in the GeForce 760 with 4GB and hopefully be good to go with the new 1300W PSU to run it all.

Not worried too much about cooling, this new stuff runs a lot cooler than in the old days, and I have a huge case. I'll start with either the stock cooler with the CPU or my old CPU water cooler that has held up well.

The stuff is in the mail.

Barry

EDit- Getting another SSD as well to start fresh. Crucial MX100 256 GB.
Actually I've been wanting to do a new build for some time now, even before the crash. I'm getting cabin fever already and it's only 1st of Jan so what better time!

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:21 pm 

Can't go wrong with that cpu/mobo. Wish I could afford it.

HyperX Cloud II headset,

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next