It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:39 pm

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Done with FSX
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:45 pm 

I've been working for YEARS trying to get FSX to run stable and consistently with little success. I've used every tweak available on the internet, even bought a custom game MONSTER of a PC to try to get it to run half decent.

I'm soooooo sick of flying for hours just to have FSX freeze or crash on descent/approach. So frustrating...

FSX has been uninstalled. Done with this turkey.

I'm hopeful that Prepar3d v2 will replace FSX and run, if not amazingly, at least consistently. Right now, however, many of the addons I use are straight up incompatible or not working correctly with the new version of Prepar3d. I'm waiting patiently for these problems to be resolved.

Be offline until that happens, but still lurking!

See you later.

Post subject: Re: Done with FSX
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:34 pm 

One thing I have done is reduce the texture size of some of the add on planes, I think some have textures up to 6 and 8 Mbs,
I changed them to 1024 X 1024 size and it makes a big difference and the quality isn't that bad. some of the inside textures
I have reduced 75% (Cabin and landing gear bay textures) I can now run FSX with all the sliders maxed at FSDreamTeam CYVR.
I loaded the Carenado Baron 58 the other day and FSX was stuttering and I was getting OOM error warnings and I didn't know what I had changed,
I checked the textures and it was one I hadn't done yet, they were only 2048x2048. changed them and all was good. :D

Image....Image

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:52 am 

I have FS-X Gold (whatever is latest service pack) on Win 7 64bit (up to date), no problem. I fly the Level-D 767 the most, doesn't crash unless I stall or forget something important. :D

It's too bad you can't get it to fly.

HyperX Cloud II headset,
SAMSUNG SSD 850 EVO 250GB and 500GB,
EVGA Supernova G2 850W, CORSAIR Obsidian 750D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:00 pm 

Keith CVA51 wrote:
I've been working for YEARS trying to get FSX to run stable and consistently with little success. I've used every tweak available on the internet, even bought a custom game MONSTER of a PC to try to get it to run half decent.

I'm soooooo sick of flying for hours just to have FSX freeze or crash on descent/approach. So frustrating...

FSX has been uninstalled. Done with this turkey.

I'm hopeful that Prepar3d v2 will replace FSX and run, if not amazingly, at least consistently. Right now, however, many of the addons I use are straight up incompatible or not working correctly with the new version of Prepar3d. I'm waiting patiently for these problems to be resolved.

Be offline until that happens, but still lurking!

See you later.

LOL
Keith!!!!! You crack me up!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:51 pm 

I have figured out why I was getting crashes near the end of flights, very simple actually but not so simple to fix. Darn 4 GIG limit of 32 bit programs and FSX not releasing memory of new scenery loaded after it has finished using it. So, if you fly along and you get near an airport, even if you are overflying it, it loads the scenery and it stays there. Like most of us I have loaded all of the airport upgrades I can find and as I flew any distance the dreaded OOM would show up, usually as the last airport was loading for landing.

Only way I know how to fix that problem is to modify your scenery load before every flight. I am not putting all of my addon scenery in the standard added scenery folder, each airport is loaded into it's own directory, then before each flight I just turn off or on the correct airports for that flight. I started to move things around but ended up just starting from scratch, should be back up shortly.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:38 am 

What I have done is run FSX in DX10 Preview, I have knocked back the scenery settings to normal almost all my OOM problems are gone,
where I do get them now is flying into CYVR, (and very rarely). I have the FSDreamteams CYVR and that really knocks the system down but they are very rare now.
I'm running Orbx PNW, Orbx Vector, Orbx Global, FSDT CYVR, Active Sky Next, PMDGs MD11.
Also with my planes I have altered the textures so none of them are more than 1024 Kb I think the PMDG 777 is 16835 Kb
It looks really good, but do I really need to see every rivet at 500 ft away? :shock:
Also if you have a registered version of FSUIPC you can go to the settings
In the LOGGING tab there is a place to check specific values, in the offset enter O24C in the Type enter S32 and then check the FS title bar box.
then when running FSX you can see the memory in the title bar as it's running.

Hope this helps.

Image....Image

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]