It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:14 pm

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: FSUIPC 3 & 4 - Security Breach
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:13 pm 
Site Admin

Hi All,

I received the following information this morning in my email from Simmarket so take note of the details below. FSUIPC as you know is a big part of the flight sim scene and it will need to be replaced as is indicated below.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, May 5, 2013 at 10:56 AM
Subject: UPDATE: PETE DOWSON - FSUIPC3 & FSUIPC4
To: Darryl Brambilla

Due to a breach in the security of the GlobalSign certificate used to confirm that FSUIPC is a valid and safe package, the certificate is being revoked. This will require ALL users of the software – whether registered or otherwise and using FSUIPC3 or FSUIPC4 – to need to download and install new versions.

Full details are available by clicking “Read more” below, or by visiting Pete Dowson’s post here on his support forum, here at simFlight. Download links are available at simFlight; here, or Schiratti.com; here. For a short time, the following direct links to FSUIPC3 (3.999z2) and FSUIPC4 (4.90) at Dropbox are also live.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/475129/Install_FSUIPC490.zip

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/475129/Install_FSUIPC3999z2.zip

Please note that this is not a security breach within FSUIPC itself – it is only the security certificate that has been compromised.

If you aren’t sure what FSUIPC is, or whether you have it, full details can be found on the product pages at simMarket and it can be found within your Flight Simulator 9/modules, Microsoft Flight Simulator X/modules or Prepar3D/modules folder. If you have a file entitled “FSUIPCx.dll” (x is dependant on the FS version) then you need to update, in order for FSUIPC to keep working.

Full Press Release text:

FSUIPC will need replacing on all user systems!

For the last ten years FSUIPC has been protected against both unwanted alteration and virus infection by the use of a Code Signature, purchased from and protected by GlobalSign, an officially recognised Windows Certificate Authority.

It has come to my attention that within the last two weeks the same Code Signature has been used to sign malicious software, apparently in the form of Java updates, to make it look valid and safe. Whilst the FSUIPC packages themselves are not affected in any way by these, it does mean that we have had to ask GlobalSign to revoke the signature. This in turn will cause the signature to appear incorrect, and because FSUIPC actively checks it every time it is started the end result is that all versions of FSUIPC3 and FSUIPC4 before today’s date will cease to function.

After due consideration it has been decided that we will dispense with Code Signing henceforth, and over the next few days unsigned versions of all of my programs will be released, replacing the signed versions and with incremented version numbers, but with no other changes.

Because only FSUIPC has the Signature self-checking built in, it is the main priority, and versions 4.90 and 3.999z2 have been released today free of this check. All users will need to update for continued use of the program, and software producers who include FSUIPC in their packages are asked to update those as soon as is convenient and practical.

Apologies to all for this unprecedented event. We still don’t know how the break in the signature’s security occurred but we will be following this up with GlobalSign.

Best Regards
Pete

Cheers! :mrgreen:

CVA7769

Post subject: Re: FSUIPC 3 & 4 - Security Breach
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:52 pm 

CVA7769 wrote:
Hi All,

I received the following information this morning in my email from Simmarket so take note of the details below. FSUIPC as you know is a big part of the flight sim scene and it will need to be replaced as is indicated below.

Cheers! :mrgreen:

Seems a little odd, I got the same notice but I can't find anything about it on the simmarket site or the http://schiratti.com/dowson page

+Portland City,2S1,CEN4,CEJ4,KHQM,7WA3,CBB7,KPDX
G_NA packs 1-8,EDBH

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:53 pm 

I notice that it's posted on flightsim.com also. I guess it's legitimate.

Cheers Bill

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:42 pm 

I just got n email from Simmarket

Image....Image

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:12 pm 

Bill Haystead wrote:
I notice that it's posted on flightsim.com also. I guess it's legitimate.

Cheers Bill

I sent an email to simmarkets support site and got a reply saying:

Your Trouble Ticket has been updated with:

----------------------
hello,

yes, it is authentic
please update when possible.

regards.
----------------------

Best Regards,
The simMarket Team

------

Please note: We will never send you an email requesting your personal data and we will never send you an email containing a link to a file.

simMarket is a division of simFlight GmbH, Nikolaus-Kopernikus-Str, 4, 55129 Mainz, Germany, Miguel Blaufuks CEO, VAT-ID: DE258678599

Do not reply to this email as it will not be read. For any questions please see our support site at http://support.simmarket.com

I was still a little hesitant considering the response even says "Please note: We will never send you an email requesting your personal data and we will never send you an email containing a link to a file."
But now that you have brought the flightsim link to my attention I feel a little more comfortable with it authenticity now. :)

Thanks Bill.

+Portland City,2S1,CEN4,CEJ4,KHQM,7WA3,CBB7,KPDX
G_NA packs 1-8,EDBH

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:48 pm 

Those that did update, did you have to remember an old registration number/password?

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:23 am 
Site Admin

CVA1122 Ben wrote:
Those that did update, did you have to remember an old registration number/password?

Hi Ben nice to hear from you. You do not need to remember. When installing tick the option (check existing registration).

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:14 am 

Many thanks!

I love this forum.

Quick, expert answers to flightsim questions.

Could not find this on Google.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:11 pm 

CVA1122 Ben wrote:
Many thanks!

I love this forum.

Quick, expert answers to flightsim questions.

Could not find this on Google.

+1

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]