It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:20 pm

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: A question To All Flight Simmers.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:54 pm 

I have just really been getting into this hobby the last couple of months. And have spent a lot of time and money. Am I stupid? Should I not be putting money into fsx? Should I go to x plane. I know there are a lot of people that have already dedicated years in this. But I am just starting off and just read that ms flight is done. So what does that leave fsx how much longer can this game go for? Just wanting some insight to the whole thing cause I knew that flight was and would be a huge flop but didnt realize that ms quit on it!

Post subject: Re: A question To All Flight Simmers.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:53 am 

If you want an alternative simulator, I think Prepar3d is the way to go. Most addons such as ORBX scenery can be ported over or bought with a dual FSX/P3d installer. Here is a list of compatible addons:
https://skydrive.live.com/view.aspx?Bsrc=Share&Bpub=SDX.SkyDrive&resid=C4A371FF736674!429&cid=00c4a371ff736674&app=Excel

Most addons will work but some, such as PMDG forbid use in P3d in the EULA. I think P3d is still a better alternative to x-plane, but I have tried neither, just going off what I have read on other forums.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:45 am 

An interesting question, that most of us don't think about because we've been doing this for years.

But my investment so far, other than a pretty standard e8500-based 3.2 GHz dual core computer, is:
- video card ($200)
- FS ($100)
- aircraft ($100)
- scenery ($200)

And I think that's it. That's over 6 years so it's pretty cheap for me. My point is that you don't have to spend a lot of money. There's no sign of FSX or VATSIM going under any time soon and even if no other scenery or aircraft are made, I can enjoy myself for years. Even if I spent all that money now, it would still be worth it compared to other entertainment.

I realise I'm a bit cheap/frugal, but you can still fly even if you are or have to be.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:24 am 

Yeah I guess when you look at it that way. I could enjoy what I igot for quite a few years just I don't even want to think how much the scenery has cost or the payware planes. I was just shocked and a bit scared when I read microsoft quit on the flight game. I really thought a year ago when I first installed fsx and heard about flight that Microsoft would realize what they did and make a comeback. I just hope it stays for a long time.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:48 pm 

Rob is right, I also think FSX will be here for a while, There is still good planes coming out, scenerys, and tools
FSDreamTeam just released CYVR and it's cutting edge, PMDG has the 777, Dash8, DC-4, and new 747 coming.
I think the only problem in the future will be windows not supporting 32bit and then we will have to keep an operating
system around to use it.

Image....Image

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:06 pm 

yeah that is true a company wouldnt put out a bunch of add ons for software if that software was going belly up and no one would buy it. Plus why wouldnt they focus they attention to the other flight sims. Its crazy to think this is still considered the best after so many years and so many years without microsofts support.But really I dont even find flight simulator a stand alone game. It seems more like a operating system for a flight sim. Im sold cause really I can not find to many people that can honestly say there is a better flight sim with as much support. Plus if you guys seem fine and have been doing this for that many years them Im good too

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]