It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:39 am

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Dying Laptop
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:04 pm 

Shalom and greetings all my pals,

My 4 years old laptop seems to be dying. Good thing I can run it in safe mode although it is strange that I cannot start up to normal Vista but I can start up to safe mode.

So time for me to rescue all files.

Apart from rescuing and back uping all normal document files, what exact files in FSX should I rescue and back up?

I know I need to back up all files of add-on planes in airplane folder of simobjects folder, all files in the Addon scenery folder, all files in effects folder, and all files in gauges folder. What else files do I need to rescue??

Thanks for any input all of you might offer.

Crap I have to notify five virtual airlines that I might be out of action for while!!!

So PLEASE DO NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT CANCEL MY 4 YEAR ACCOUNT WITH YOUR CANADIAN VIRTUAL virtual airline. Allow me one month to buy new computer and rebuild everything. By the way, where are explanations on how to install vatsim, sqwkbox, FSCARS, and fscupr II (spelling) stuff on your website, please?

I will continue posting events although I might not able to fly for almost one month.

Regards,

Aharon

Post subject: Re: Dying Laptop
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:15 pm 

Pretty much anything that you added on after the basic installation of your version of FS, and that you want to keep, I'd recommend backing up.

And you can relax about your account. From what I know, the only time an account is closed is if the pilot requests (likely not often), or if a new pilot does not log their first flight within a month after registration.

Good luck finding a good new system and we'll see you when you get back.

CFB Edmonton, Edmonton, AB

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:42 pm 

Scanning by anti virus software TWICE revealed no viruses.

I think it is bad start up file that is corrupted.

Wish I knew which start up files needed to be loaded or repaired!!! And of course how to do this and how to find start up files.

I did restore gimmick but it did not help.

Aharon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:44 pm 

Anti virus scan TWICE on my laptop revealed no viruses and it seems that the start up files are corrupt and damaged preventing me from starting up my laptop to normal Vista environment. I can use laptop in safe mode but not in normal Vista environment.

Aharon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:57 pm 
Site Admin

Download Malaware Bytes and run it. It has helped many who thought all hope was lost.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:19 pm 

Aharon,
Do you have a cd/dvd drive on your laptop? If so have you tried putting your windows disc in and then starting the computer to see what happens?

Gary

+Portland City,2S1,CEN4,CEJ4,KHQM,7WA3,CBB7,KPDX
G_NA packs 1-8,EDBH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:19 pm 

Anti virus scan TWICE on my laptop revealed no viruses and it seems that the start up files are corrupt and damaged preventing me from starting up my laptop to normal Vista environment. I can use laptop in safe mode but not in normal Vista environment.

My four year old laptop does not come with Vista operating disc. That is because all laptop manufacturers such as HP are too CHEAP.

Got to figure out how to install start up files to replace corrupted or damaged start up files.

I do have 32 bit Vista Professional DVDs from my retired laptop. Wondering if this will work to fix start up problems on this current dying 64bit Vista Home Standard laptop????

I think it is combo of corrupted registry files for start up, corrupted start up files, and well hidden undetectable computer virus.

Aharon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:17 am 

No, the 32bit disc will not help you Aharon. And if you reinstall windows, you'll lose all your installed programs and most of your user settings. You'll basically have to reinstall everything from scratch.

But, there's something you can try:

http://vistasupport.mvps.org/repair_a_vista_installation_using_the_upgrade_option_of_the_vista_dvd.htm

By reinstalling using the UPGRADE option, you get a fresh, fixed copy of windows but all your installed programs, user settings and files will remain.

As for a disc, search for a torrent of your version of vista and download it. Burn it up and follow the directions in the link supplied.

It's worth a shot, brother!

Good luck.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:08 pm 

Keith,

I have SP1 for Vista so it will not work for me. Plus the laptop is 4 years old going on for 5 years anyway although I do wish I would keep it going on forever as it is in mint condition.

The problem is that start up or boot up files as well as registry files for start up and boot up are corrupted and damaged. The trick matter is how to copy those files from other sources into my laptop overwriting the damaged files so that I can start up to normal Vista environment.

I do not think my laptop has computer virus although I cannot rule it out because I am being blocked from installing repair programs necessary to repair Vista files. When I am on safe mode in my laptop, everything runs smoothly and fast which is signal that it is virus free.

Strange enough is that running hard drive check revealed no bad sectors or no bad files.

I guess I am off to laptop shopping.

Aharon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:09 pm 
Site Admin

Did you try Malaware Bytes yet? Seriously, it performs checks that antivirus programs miss and will do repairs as well. I always keep a copy of it on my thumb drive for emergencies.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:32 pm 

cva3906 wrote:
Did you try Malaware Bytes yet? Seriously, it performs checks that antivirus programs miss and will do repairs as well. I always keep a copy of it on my thumb drive for emergencies.

Does it repair damaged or corrupted start up files and damaged or corrupted start up registry files??

My 4 year old laptop seems to do everything in safe mode meaning nothing wrong withe laptop so the fault lies with start up or boot up. It will not start up to normal Vista environment.

So what I need to do to save my laptop is to find someone's Vista Home Premium CDs' repair function OR buy Vista Business Upgrade CDs to overwrite damaged start up files while keeping all programs and files intact.

Aharon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:46 pm 
Site Admin

It will do registry repairs, if you don't want to try it, fine, throw your laptop out. Trying it, may not fix it but you never know and the program is free.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:47 pm 

If you have the Install disks, reinstall, your laptop will be faster, and run better. get everything installed they way you want it.
THEN MAKE A IMAGE DISK!

It takes me less than an hour to get FSX, planes and scenery all back to the way I want it.
I dont run a virus scanner of any kind, never had problems, If I have any problems with FSX (due to tweaking) I just re-install the image disk and good to go
flying in less than an hour. The only thing I would have to back up is any New installs (scenery, aircraft, and flight plans) or I'll Re do the image disk. 8)

How did your operating system get on the computer in the first place? There should be install disks or recovery disks.
If you got a real deal on it because there wasn't install disks, then I guess it wasn't a deal. :roll:

Image....Image

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:24 am 

cva3906 wrote:
Did you try Malaware Bytes yet?

I tried that and my laptop refused to accept it.

Aharon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:29 am 

[quote="Cal Jordan (CVA371)"How did your operating system get on the computer in the first place? There should be install disks or recovery disks.If you got a real deal on it because there wasn't install disks, then I guess it wasn't a deal. :roll:[/quote]

Cal,

Good idea about image disk. Can you for all CVA pilots make a sticky permanent post explaining about image disk and how it It takes you less than an hour to get FSX, planes and scenery all back to the way I want it.

As for my 4 year old HP laptop, you have to realize that all computer manufacturers are so cheap that they skip CDs for Windows and recovery. They put recovery software in laptops and that is the problem!!

As for deal, I paid 999 bucks for this special edition HP laptop that was at original price of 1,599 bucks. It was called after Chanukah and Christmas sale. And that laptop did great job for me for past 4 years.

Aharon

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next