It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:25 am

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: CYOW RWY 7/25 closed for maintenance
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:59 pm 

Lately, I've had the feeling that more flights use RWY 32 for takeoff than normal, because there was always something taking off in that direction, which is towards Ottawa. Now I see I was right.

http://ottawa-airport.ca/corporate/about-us/construction

Runway Construction

The Ottawa International Airport Authority announced that it is ready to start construction on runway 07/25. Part two of a three-part plan, the 8,000 foot runway will be reworked and resurfaced during the summer months, commencing June 1st.

The runway was last resurfaced in 1994, when the airport was managed by Transport Canada, prior to the establishment of the Airport Authority and transfer of operational responsibility from Transport Canada to the Authority in 1997. The runway currently meets Transport Canada guidelines, however once the construction is complete, it will reach far beyond and will conform to the standards set out by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) and the United States Federal Aviation Authority (FAA).

The project will include the following components:

Removal of the surface layer of asphalt from the runway;
Replacement of runway lighting and electrical wires;
Construction of a Runway End Safety Area (RESA) at both ends;
Replacement of NAV CANADA’s Instrument Landing System (ILS); and
Regrading and repaving.

Closure of the east-west runway during construction will result in the north-south runway 14/32 being used for all commercial traffic. This will mean a temporary reprieve of aircraft noise for communities in the east and west, and a temporary increase in noise for communities in the north and south. Construction is expected to last until early fall.

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ]