It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:22 pm

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Live Weather
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:41 am 

Who's using what? I'm looking for something that will give me live weather updates at regular intervals in FSX. I'm not really sure how it works but I don't want to lose my REX4 Texture Direct (with soft clouds) textures. So far I've seen "OpusFSI" , "Active Sky Next" and "FSrealWX" but I'm just making myself dizzy trying to understand it :) I'm hoping one of the gurus here can baby step through what I need to do to have real world weather as it happens. I just installed "Orbx FTX trees" which does look pretty good in the sim and I'm hoping the weather software will be as easy to install! Any help greatly appreciated.

Gary

+Portland City,2S1,CEN4,CEJ4,KHQM,7WA3,CBB7,KPDX
G_NA packs 1-8,EDBH

Post subject: Re: Live Weather
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:03 am 
Site Admin

I use FSrealWX, no issue and works well. Best part it is free.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:46 am 

Hey Frank,
Is FSRealWx just a weather engine or does it install textures? And, if it does install textures can you override them in favor of another texture addon?

G_NA packs 1-8,EDBH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:54 am 
Site Admin

CVA0319 wrote:
Hey Frank,
Is FSRealWx just a weather engine or does it install textures? And, if it does install textures can you override them in favor of another texture addon?

Just a weather engine

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:13 am 

I use HiFi active sky and then install your favourite textures after and it works good

Image....Image

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:26 pm 

Have used pretty well every weather engine/program out there over time. I have settled on Active Sky Next for my weather engine for a number of reasons including the excellent rough air simulation it gives, better than any other. Makes life difficult at times especially landing in bad weather but more realistic. And yes, the textures I use are not Active Sky Next and they work fine.

Cheers Rod

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:35 pm 

Cal,
Have you ever re-installed your favorite textures after you installed Active Sky? I'm guessing it won't make any difference that I have Rex + soft clouds installed anyway but one never knows.

Rod,
Have you tried "FSrealWX" ? It has network capability and it appears Active sky doesn't and myself I would be willing to go less cutting edge weather patterns in order to get one less program off my main rig and onto a secondary (or even a third) box.

Anybody tried "FS Global Real Weather"? It seems to have the most things that I would like (network support, auto start, historic weather) but I've never heard of it before and it is the most costly of all that I've looked at to date. "OpusFSI" still looks kinda nice with all the extras it offers but I haven't heard anyone mention having it, so I'd still like to hear more about it from anyone who has tried it.

Gary

G_NA packs 1-8,EDBH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:47 am 

Have used Opus (different versions) and was happy with the weather features but not the multi-computer operations. I use two computers and four screens for FSX and Opus wasn't stable for me though others were happy with it. I just couldn't get it to work like I wanted. Use WideFS and WideTraffic to pass info back and forth to the two computers and that is stable and easy to set up.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:57 pm 

I use activesky and it works great, fsrealwx would be a good start if you dont want to fork out any cash right away.
As for textures, for the time being I am using HDE which is a nice improvement over the fsx clouds even though it was developed for FS9. (available at flightsim.com).
I have it running on 1 computer, If your machine is relatively recent I wouldnt think that running several programs simultaneously should be a problem.
my machine is 2.5-3 years old and I run it hard, 6 monitors, Activesky, Flightsim commander, FS Genisis and various free scenery, and it runs quite nicley. so far.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:54 am 

CVA6111 wrote:
Have used Opus (different versions) and was happy with the weather features but not the multi-computer operations. I use two computers and four screens for FSX and Opus wasn't stable for me though others were happy with it. I just couldn't get it to work like I wanted. Use WideFS and WideTraffic to pass info back and forth to the two computers and that is stable and easy to set up.

Thanks for the reply Rod, I was reading the respective web sites some more last night and was thinking Opus has to much for me to take the time to learn in the way of features anyway. FSRealWx sounds good but Active sky has their "Hey, that Gary is a sucker for a sale" sale on so I'm thinking I might just snag that.

Peter Stuiver wrote:
I use activesky and it works great, fsrealwx would be a good start if you dont want to fork out any cash right away.
As for textures, for the time being I am using HDE which is a nice improvement over the fsx clouds even though it was developed for FS9. (available at flightsim.com).
I have it running on 1 computer, If your machine is relatively recent I wouldnt think that running several programs simultaneously should be a problem.
my machine is 2.5-3 years old and I run it hard, 6 monitors, Activesky, Flightsim commander, FS Genisis and various free scenery, and it runs quite nicley. so far.

Thanks you for replying as well Peter. Seems the trend points to Active sky :) Though if it wasn't for the sale I think I would have played with FSRealWx being the big sucker for freeware that I am :)

G_NA packs 1-8,EDBH

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]